屠格涅夫---散文诗集 Prose Poems, by Ivan Turgenev

楼主:张妙明 时间:2006-08-07 04:49:00 美国 点击:1097 回复:27
脱水 打赏 看楼主 设置

字体:

边距:

背景:

还原:

WHAT SHALL I THINK?...我会想什么?…

(Translated from the Russian by CONSTANCE GARNETT)

What shall I think when I come to die, if only I am in a
    condition to think anything then?
    我将死的时候会想什么,如果那时我真的还能想什么的话?

Shall I think how little use I have made of my life, how I have slumbered,dozed through it, how little I have known how to enjoy its gifts?
    我会想我多么少地利用过我的生命,我曾怎样昏昏噩噩地走过,我对如何享受它的赋予了解得有多么少吗?

'What? is this death? So soon? Impossible! Why, I have had no time to do anything yet.... I have only been making ready to begin!'
    ”什么?这是死亡?这么快?不可能!为什么,我还没有时间作任何事。。。我正准备开始!“

Shall I recall the past, and dwell in thought on the few bright moments I have lived through--on precious images
    and faces?
    我会回忆过去,驻想在我曾活过的几个光明的时刻--及那些宝贵的形像和面孔吗?

Will my ill deeds come back to my mind, and will my soul be stung by the burning pain of remorse too late?
    我的恶行会回到我心里,我的灵魂会为那太迟的愧疚的
    燃烧着的痛苦所刺伤吗?

Shall I think of what awaits me beyond the grave ...
    and in truth does anything await me there?
    我要想坟墓之外还有什么等待我吗。。。
    真有任何东西在那等待我吗?

No.... I fancy I shall try not to think, and shall force myself to take interest in some trifle simply to distract my own attention from the menacing darkness, which is black before me.
    不。。。我想我会努力不去想,会强迫自己对某件琐事
    感兴趣,来转移对于那个,在我面前是黑色的,威胁恐怖的
    黑暗的注意。

I once saw a dying man who kept complaining they would
    not let him have hazel-nuts to munch!... and only in the depths of his fast-dimming eyes, something quivered and
    struggled like the torn wing of a bird wounded to death....
    我曾看过一个临终的人,他一直抱怨他们不让他大声咀嚼榛实仁!。。。只在他迅速变暗的眼睛的深处,有个东西象撕坏翅膀的鸟受伤死去的颤抖和挣扎。。。
    _August 1879._

打赏

0 点赞

主帖获得的天涯分:0
举报 | 楼主 | 埋红包
楼主发言:1次 发图:0张 | 添加到话题 |
楼主张妙明 时间:2006-08-07 04:54:08 美国
  THE SPARROW
    麻雀

I was returning from hunting, and walking along an avenue of the garden, my dog running in front of me.
    我打猎归来,走在沿着花园的林荫道上,我的狗在我的前面跑着.

Suddenly he took shorter steps, and began to steal along as though tracking game.
    突然他开始迈着小步,既而蹑手蹑脚地,象是在追踪猎物.

I looked along the avenue, and saw a young sparrow, with yellow about its beak and down on its head. It had fallen out of the nest (the wind was violently shaking the birch-trees in the avenue) and sat unable to move, helplessly flapping its half-grown wings.
    我沿着林荫道望去,看到一只小麻雀,嘴周围直到它的头部都是黄色的.它从巢里摔出来(风正紧刮着那些路上的桦树),它在那里不能动弹,无助地扑煽着它长到一半的翅膀.

My dog was slowly approaching it, when, suddenly darting down from a tree close by, an old dark-throated sparrow fell like a stone right before his nose, and all ruffled up, terrified, with despairing and pitiful cheeps, it flung itself twice towards the open jaws of shining teeth.
    我的狗正慢慢地接近它.突然间近旁一株树上冲下来一只黑胸脯的老麻雀,像石块似的正好落在狗的鼻子前──惊恐地全身羽毛倒竖,绝望地可伶地尖叫著,两次向那露着利牙的张开的大嘴扑过去。

It sprang to save; it cast itself before its nestling ... but all its tiny body was shaking with terror; its note was harsh and strange. Swooning with fear, it offered itself up!
    她是冲下来救助的,它用自己的身体挡住它的孩子…可是它微小的身躯由于恐惧而颤抖,她的声音粗暴而奇怪,惊恐地晕玄着,她把自己交出!

What a huge monster must the dog have seemed to it! And yet it could not stay on its high branch out of danger.... A force stronger than its will flung it down.
    这只狗在它看来该是多么古怪的庞然大物啊!但它仍然不肯坐在自己那高高的十分安全的树枝上--一种比它的意志还要强大的力量把它从枝头抛了下来。

My Trésor stood still, drew back.... Clearly he too recognised this force.
    我的特列佐尔(狗名)站住了,退却了…它也认识到了这种力量。

I hastened to call off the disconcerted dog, and went away, full of reverence.
    我急忙唤回有点失措的狗,满怀敬意地走开。

Yes; do not laugh. I felt reverence for that tiny heroic bird, for its impulse of love.
    是啊,别见笑。我向英勇的小鸟表示敬意,向它的爱的迸发表示敬意。

Love, I thought, is stronger than death or the fear of death. Only by it, by love, life holds together and advances.
    我想,爱的力量比死和对死亡的恐惧更强大。只有依靠它,只有依靠爱,生命才能维持并延续”。

_April 1878._

楼主张妙明 时间:2006-08-07 04:56:46 美国
  CHRIST  基督

I saw myself, in dream, a youth, almost a boy, in a low-pitched wooden church. The slim wax candles gleamed, spots of red, before the old pictures of the saints.
    我在梦中见到自己,一个青年,甚至是个男孩,在一个低调的木制教堂里.在圣者的旧像前面,细高的蜡烛闪着微光,点点红色.

A ring of coloured light encircled each tiny flame. Dark and dim it was in the church.... But there stood before me many people. All fair-haired, peasant heads. From time to time they began swaying, falling, rising again, like the ripe ears of wheat, when the wind of summer passes in slow undulation over them.
    彩色的光圈环绕每个小小的火焰.教堂里黑而且暗...但是我前面站着许多人.全是金发的农夫的头.他们不时地遥动,落下,再起来,似夏日的风吹过成熟的麦穗,在他们上面变成缓慢的波浪.

All at once some man came up from behind and stood beside me.
    突然间,某个人从后面前来,站在我旁边.

I did not turn towards him; but at once I felt that this man was Christ.
    我没有转向他;但是我一下子感觉这个人就是基督.

Emotion, curiosity, awe overmastered me suddenly. I made an effort ... and looked at my neighbour.
    感情,好奇和敬畏忽然征服了我.我用力...注视我的邻居.

A face like every one's, a face like all men's faces. The eyes looked a little upwards, quietly and intently. The lips closed, but not compressed; the upper lip, as it were, resting on the lower; a small beard parted in two. The hands folded and still. And the clothes on him like every one's.
    一张象每个人的脸,一张象所有人的脸.两眼安静地专注地稍向上看着,两唇闭着,但不是紧缩的;上唇看上去是依赖在下唇上;小胡子分开两边.两手合起而且是静止的.而且他的衣服象每个人的一样.

'What sort of Christ is this?' I thought. 'Such an ordinary, ordinary man! It can't be!'
    "这是什么样的基督?"我想."如此平常,平常的人!不会是这样!"

I turned away. But I had hardly turned my eyes away from this ordinary man when I felt again that it really was none other than Christ standing beside me.
    我转开.但是我一把眼睛从这个平常的人身上移开,就再次感觉站在我旁边的不是别人,正是基督.

Again I made an effort over myself.... And again the same face, like all men's faces, the same everyday though unknown features.
    又一次,我克服自己...又一次,还是同样的脸,如所有的人一样脸,同样的平常的虽然是无可名状的容貌.

And suddenly my heart sank, and I came to myself. Only then I realised that just such a face--a face like all men's faces--is the face of Christ.
    于是我的心忽然一沉,我醒过来.那一刻我意识到,就是这样的脸--如所有的人一样的脸--是基督的脸.

NATURE
    自然

I dreamed I had come into an immense underground temple with lofty arched roof. It was filled with a sort of underground uniform light.
    我梦见我到了一个有着巍峨的拱型屋顶,巨大的地下神殿.它充满一种地下的一成不变的光.

In the very middle of the temple sat a majestic woman in a flowing robe of green colour. Her head propped on her hand, she seemed buried in deep thought.
    在神殿正中坐着一位穿的流动着绿色的长袍的女人.她一手支撑着头,看起来在沉思中.

At once I was aware that this woman was Nature herself; and a thrill of reverent awe sent an instantaneous shiver through my inmost soul.
    我一下子意识到这位女人就是自然本身;一种悚然的虔诚的
    敬畏即刻把一种颤抖传遍我灵魂的最深处.

I approached the sitting figure, and making a respectful bow, 'O common Mother of us all!' I cried, 'of what is thy meditation? Is it of the future destinies of man thou ponderest? or how he may attain the highest possible
    perfection and happiness?'
    我趋近坐着的人物,恭敬地行礼,"啊,我们所有一切共同的母亲!"我叫道,"您在冥想什么呢?您是在想人类未来的命运?或是他怎样取得最高的可能的完美和幸福吗?"

The woman slowly turned upon me her dark menacing eyes. Her lips moved, and I heard a ringing voice like the clang of iron.
    那个女人慢慢把她的黑色威胁恐吓的眼睛移到我身上.她的嘴唇动了,我听到如铁的铿锵般干脆的声音.

'I am thinking how to give greater power to the leg-muscles of the flea, that he may more easily escape from his enemies. The balance of attack and defence is broken.... It must be restored.'
    "我在想如何使跳蚤的腿肌更有力,使他更容易地逃脱他的敌人.攻与守的平衡被破坏了...必须把它修复."

'What,' I faltered in reply, 'what is it thou art thinking upon? But are not we, men, thy favourite children?'
    "什么",我支吾地答道,"您在思考什么?但是我们,人,不是您最宠爱的孩子吗?"

The woman frowned slightly. 'All creatures are my children,' she pronounced, 'and I care for them alike, and all alike I destroy.'
    女人有点皱起眉头,"所有生物都是我的孩子,"她宣告道,"我同样地照顾他们, 我并且完全相同地毁灭所有一切".
    'But right ... reason ... justice ...' I faltered again.
    "但是正确的...理智...正义...",我又支吾了.

'Those are men's words,' I heard the iron voice saying. 'I know not right nor wrong.... Reason is no law for me--and what is justice?--I have given thee life, I shall take it away and give to others, worms or men ... I care not.... Do thou meanwhile look out for thyself, and hinder me not!'
    "那些是人的名言,"我听道铁的声音说."我不理会是与非...理智对于我不是法律--那什么是正义呢?--我给你们生命,我会把它取走,给予另外一些生物,虫子或人...我不管...与此同时,去管你自己的事吧,别来妨碍我!"

I would have retorted ... but the earth uttered a hollow groan andshuddered, and I awoke.
    我是会反驳的...但是大地发出中空的呻吟和颤抖,我醒了.

_August 1879._

作者:东灌灌西灌灌 时间:2006-08-07 12:21:22 美国
  好东西。

楼主张妙明 时间:2006-08-12 09:57:56 美国
  多谢东版!希望多提意见交流!
作者:luxiaan 时间:2006-08-12 11:14:45 新西兰
  是不错
楼主张妙明 时间:2006-08-14 11:32:47 美国
  多谢Luxiaan!Greetings!
楼主张妙明 时间:2006-08-14 11:37:39 美国
  死的思考
  --读屠格涅夫<我会想什么?…>

小时候,我偶尔生病,不知为什么总会私底下在心里想这次会不会死掉.过了几天那个小病好了之后,就悄悄松一口气,仿佛又逃过一劫.长大后,好象也一直想我死后的墓碑上写的会是: 一直尽了最大的努力而一事无成,一点也不完美的人.

有许多人不愿看见或谈到死.可是无论怎样,死是我们活着的人们决定的终点啊!在我们没有仔细思考死的时候,我们不顾一切地拼命往前跑,甚至于说:我不知道我要往哪里去,反正我会比你走得快!(I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m definitely going faster than you!).有几个人有机会仔细思考仔细准备平静安然地走向生命的下一站呢?

对于死的思考,实在很有益处.想想百年光阴,瞬间即逝,就不必去策划损害别人的事了.人之将死,其心也善.死将不久来临,一切的浮华荣辱即将失去意义.”死猪不怕开水烫”,亦大可以无所畏惧了吧.既然了知死将不久,眼下什么是最急最紧要应该着手去作的就很清楚了.所以死的思考真的令人振作,令人清醒,令人变善,令人无惧.

屠格涅夫是何等伟大的作家,他的<猎人手记>,无动声色地解除了农奴制.他的笔法的精美和思想的深邃简直赞美不完,只要google一下Turgenev就会看到他是怎样被崇敬和赞美.这位温文尔雅的巨人,这位能在狗和猴子的眼中读到兄弟姐妹的伟人,绝对深思过死字!

这篇短文从我临死的时候会想些什么开始.那个时刻,一生善恶顿时俱现,该是什么样的滋味啊?我会后悔没去做那些该做的事情吗?会觉得猝不及防吗?只有圣者才会说:该做的已经做完了,我要欢喜入灭.凡夫有哪个会是准备好了在等待那个transition的呢?Calvin &Hobb 有一个著名的话(famous line): Gosh, I get too much to do and I’m so far behind that I’ll never die (天哪,我有太多的事要做,而且太落于后了,我会永远不死).

“我会回忆过去,驻想在我曾活过的几个光明的时刻--及那些宝贵的形像和面孔吗?”这也许是他一生的光辉.牵挂和遗憾吧.若是他也有了”正常的爱”和完美的家庭,我们就不知道这世界上还会不会有他那些不朽的杰作.

“我的恶行会回到我心里,我的灵魂会为那太迟的愧疚而燃烧着的痛苦所刺伤吗?”这句话太深刻了.若心中有悔,就会不安,就会刺痛.如果我们世人能想到这一层,那么趁着还有一口气在,好好的忏悔吧!让真诚洗清灵魂.

最后的一刻因为一生的善恶而异.我也亲眼看到一位生前作大护法而且儿孙满堂的老太太,往生时略张着嘴.火化场的人来到时,把尸体抬到单架上,包上白色塑料袋就那样推走了. 伟大的屠格涅夫想象死时眼前的威胁恐怖的黑暗(menacing darkness).其实只是恶人才趣向越来越强的黑暗.象他那样伟大清净的灵魂,最后一刻定会是洁白明亮的光,向着安乐之界!

作者:一条泛滥的河流 时间:2006-08-14 13:16:38 广东
  边看边收藏:)
楼主张妙明 时间:2006-08-15 10:10:20 美国
  多谢河流!多看原文,我翻译得不好.
作者:blue_devil 时间:2006-08-15 18:26:15 广东
  你真的很不错哦.但在此提个建议,将原文分段贴出来,在最后附上你自己的翻译,别人可以先看英语,自己翻译下再和你的对比下,互相切磋.
作者:chatornot 时间:2006-08-16 01:30:56 广东
  for whom the bell tolls
楼主张妙明 时间:2006-08-16 10:44:13 美国
  Thanks Blue-D and Chatornot! Greetings!
  Let's start with an easy one)from www.guntenberg.org:

THE DOG

Us two in the room; my dog and me.... Outside a fearful storm is howling.

The dog sits in front of me, and looks me straight in the face.

And I, too, look into his face.

He wants, it seems, to tell me something. He is dumb, he is without words,he does not understand himself--but I understand him.

I understand that at this instant there is living in him and in me the same
  feeling, that there is no difference between us. We are the same; in each of us there burns and shines the same trembling spark.

Death sweeps down, with a wave of its chill broad wing....

And the end!

Who then can discern what was the spark that glowed in each of us?

No! We are not beast and man that glance at one another....

They are the eyes of equals, those eyes riveted on one another.

And in each of these, in the beast and in the man, the same life huddles up in fear close to the other.

_February 1878._

楼主张妙明 时间:2006-08-19 15:50:04 美国
  狗

我们俩在屋里;我的狗和我。。。。外面可怕的风暴正在咆哮。

狗坐在我前面,直盯著我的脸。

而我,也一样,直盯著他的脸

他看起来想要告诉我什么。他说不出话,他没有语言,他不理解自己--但是我理解他。

我理解在这个时刻活在他和我里面的是同样的感觉,我们之间没有差别。我们是相同的;我们内在都燃烧和闪耀着同样战抖的火花。

死亡扫落下来,挥动它冰冷宽大的翅膀。。。

然后结束!

那时谁还能识别我们每个内在发光的火花是什么呢?

不!我们不是彼此看一下的兽与人。。。

他们是平等的眼睛,那些眼睛互相凝神注目。

而这些的每一个当中,在兽在人内里,同样的生命因为恐惧而紧靠着对方。
作者:Arete 时间:2006-08-25 01:48:25 湖北
  拜读!
楼主张妙明 时间:2007-03-20 08:26:25 美国
  多谢Arete!Greetings!
楼主张妙明 时间:2007-03-20 08:30:00 美国
  THE FOOL
  愚人

There lived a fool.
  曾经有一个愚人。

For a long time he lived in peace and contentment; but by degrees rumoursbegan to reach him that he was regarded on all sides as a vulgar idiot.

有很长一段时间,他生活在平静和知足之中;但是渐渐地,周遭人都认为他是个卑俗的白痴的谣言传到了他那里。

The fool was abashed and began to ponder gloomily how he might put an endto these unpleasant rumours.
  愚人感到羞愧, 于是开始忧郁地思考他该怎样对这些令人不快的谣传做个了断。

A sudden idea, at last, illuminated his dull little brain.... And, withoutthe slightest delay, he put it into practice.
  一个突然的想法,最终,照亮了他那迟钝的小小的头脑。。。于是,没有一丝迟缓,他把它付诸实践。

A friend met him in the street, and fell to praising a well-known painter....
  一个朋友在街上遇见他,并开始赞美一个著名的画家。。。

'Upon my word!' cried the fool,' that painter was out of date long ago ...you didn't know it? I should never have expected it of you ... you are quite behind the times.'
  "实际上!" 愚人叫喊道,"那个画家早就过时了。。。你不知道吗?我真没料到你会是那样。。。你可是相当过时啦."

The friend was alarmed, and promptly agreed with the fool.
  那个朋友吃了一惊,立即同意了愚人的看法。

'Such a splendid book I read yesterday!' said another friend to him.
  "昨天我读了一本这么美妙的书!"另一个朋友对他说。

'Upon my word!' cried the fool, 'I wonder you're not ashamed. That book'sgood for nothing; every one's seen through it long ago. Didn't you know it? You're quite behind the times.'
  "实际上!" 愚人叫喊道,"我奇怪你都不感到羞愧,那本书一点用处也没有;每个人都老早看穿它了。你不知道吗?你可是相当过时啦."

This friend too was alarmed, and he agreed with the fool.
  那个朋友也吃了一惊,并同意了愚人的看法。

'What a wonderful fellow my friend N. N. is!' said a third friend to thefool. 'Now there's a really generous creature!'
  "我的朋友NN是多么好的人啊!"第三个朋友对愚人说。" 那可是真正宽宏的生物!"

'Upon my word!' cried the fool. 'N. N., the notorious scoundrel! He swindled all his relations. Every one knows that. You're quite behind thetimes.'
  "实际上!" 愚人叫喊道,"NN,臭名昭著的无赖! 他骗取了他所有的关系。每个人都知道。你可是相当过时啦。"

The third friend too was alarmed, and he agreed with the fool and desertedhis friend. And whoever and whatever was praised in the fool's presence, he had the same retort for everything.
  第三个朋友也吃了一惊,同意了愚人的看法, 并遗弃了他的朋友。在愚人面前被赞美的无论何人无论何事,他也对每件事进行同样的反驳。

Sometimes he would add reproachfully: 'And do you still believe in authorities?'
  有时他会责备地加上:"而你仍然相信权威吗?"

'Spiteful! malignant!' his friends began to say of the fool. 'But what abrain!'
  "可恶!恶意!"他的朋友们开始说起愚人。"但是多么有头脑啊"

'And what a tongue!' others would add, 'Oh, yes, he has talent!'
  "什么样的舌头啊"其他人附会说,"啊,是的,他有才能!"

It ended in the editor of a journal proposing to the fool that he shouldundertake their reviewing column.
  它了结在一个刊物的主编建议愚人承担他们的批评专栏。

And the fool fell to criticising everything and every one, without in theleast changing his manner, or his exclamations.
  于是愚人开始批评每件事每个人,他的方式或他的感叹没有任何一丝毫改变。

Now he, who once declaimed against authorities, is himself an authority,and the young men venerate him, and fear him.
  现在他,一时曾辩讲是反权威的,他自己是权威了,而且年轻人们尊敬他,畏惧他。

And what else can they do, poor young men? Though one ought not, as a general rule, to venerate any one ... but in this case, if one didn't venerate him, one would find oneself quite behind the times!
  而且他们除此之外还能做什么呢?可伶的年轻人们。. 虽然,一般常规,一个人不应该尊敬任何人。。。但是在这个情况下,如果一个人不尊敬他, 这个人就会发现自己相当过时啦!

Fools have a good time among cowards.
  愚人们在懦夫堆里过得很快乐。

_April 1878._

作者:深圳村村长 时间:2007-03-20 09:47:18 广东
  老屠的散文是很不错滴说
  跟风景画一样滴说
楼主张妙明 时间:2007-04-05 13:59:45 美国
  多谢深圳村长!深圳也向硅谷一样吧?
作者:青青木瓜 时间:2007-04-05 15:38:28 北京
  好
楼主张妙明 时间:2007-05-17 02:00:54 美国
  多谢木瓜!看过电影<The scent of the green papaya>吗?

Revised translation on The Fool:

THE FOOL 愚人
  by Ivan Turgenev 屠格涅夫 

There lived a fool.
  曾经有一个愚人。

For a long time he lived in peace and contentment; but by degrees rumours began to reach him that he was regarded on all sides as a vulgar idiot.

有很长一段时间,他平静而知足地生活;但是渐渐地,周遭人都认为他是个卑劣的白痴的谣言传到了他那里。

The fool was abashed and began to ponder gloomily how he might put an end to these unpleasant rumours.
  愚人感到羞愧, 于是开始忧郁地思考他该怎样对这些令人不快的谣传做个了断。

A sudden idea, at last, illuminated his dull little brain.... And, without the slightest delay, he put it into practice.
  一个突然的想法,最终,照亮了他那迟钝的小小的头脑。。。于是,没有一丝迟缓,他把它付诸实践。

A friend met him in the street, and fell to praising a well-known painter....
  一个朋友在街上遇见他,并开始赞美一个著名的画家。。。

'Upon my word!' cried the fool,' that painter was out of date long ago ... you didn't know it? I should never have expected it of you ... you are quite behind the times.'
  "实际上!"愚人叫喊道,"那个画家早就过时了。。。你不知道吗?我真没料到你会是那样。。。你可是相当过时啦."

The friend was alarmed, and promptly agreed with the fool.
  那个朋友吃了一惊,立即同意了愚人的看法。

'Such a splendid book I read yesterday!' said another friend to him.
  "昨天我读了一本这么美妙的书!"另一个朋友对他说。

'Upon my word!' cried the fool, 'I wonder you're not ashamed. That book's good for nothing; every one's seen through it long ago. Didn't you know it? You're quite behind the times.'
  "实际上!"愚人叫喊道,"我奇怪你都不感到羞愧,那本书一点用处也没有;每个人都老早看穿它了。你不知道吗?你可是相当过时啦."

This friend too was alarmed, and he agreed with the fool.
  那个朋友也吃了一惊,并同意了愚人的看法。

'What a wonderful fellow my friend N. N. is!' said a third friend to the fool. 'Now there's a really generous creature!'
  "我的朋友NN是多么好的人啊!"第三个朋友对愚人说。" 那可是真正宽宏的生物!"

'Upon my word!' cried the fool. 'N. N., the notorious scoundrel! He swindled all his relations. Every one knows that. You're quite behind the times.'
  "实际上!" 愚人叫喊道,"NN,臭名昭著的无赖! 他骗取了他所有的关系。每个人都知道。你可是相当过时啦。"

The third friend too was alarmed, and he agreed with the fool and deserted his friend. And whoever and whatever was praised in the fool's presence, he had the same retort for everything.
  第三个朋友也吃了一惊,同意了愚人的看法, 并遗弃了他的朋友。在愚人面前被赞美的无论何人无论何事,他也对每件事进行同样的反驳。

Sometimes he would add reproachfully: 'And do you still believe in authorities?'
  有时他会责备地加上:"而你仍然相信权威吗?"

'Spiteful! malignant!' his friends began to say of the fool. 'But what a brain!'
  "可恶!恶意!"他的朋友们开始说起愚人。"但是多么有头脑啊"

'And what a tongue!' others would add, 'Oh, yes, he has talent!'
  "多好的辩才啊"其他人附会说,"啊,是的,他有才能!"

It ended in the editor of a journal proposing to the fool that he should undertake their reviewing column.
  最终,一个刊物的主编建议愚人承担他们的批评专栏。

And the fool fell to criticising everything and every one, without in the least changing his manner, or his exclamations.
  于是愚人开始批评每件事每个人,他的方式或他的感叹没有任何一丝毫改变。

Now he, who once declaimed against authorities, is himself an authority, and the young men venerate him, and fear him.
  现在一时曾辩讲是反权威的他,他自己是权威了,而且年轻人们尊敬他,畏惧他。

And what else can they do, poor young men? Though one ought not, as a general rule, to venerate any one ... but in this case, if one didn't venerate him, one would find oneself quite behind the times!
  而且他们除此之外还能做什么呢?可伶的年轻人们。. 虽然,一般常规,一个人不应该尊敬任何人。。。但是在这个情况下,如果一个人不尊敬他, 这个人就会发现自己相当过时啦!

Fools have a good time among cowards.
  愚人们在懦夫堆里过得很快乐。

_April 1878._

楼主张妙明 时间:2007-05-17 02:06:34 美国
  A TOUR IN THE FOREST
  森林之旅
  by Ivan Turgenev 屠格涅夫 

FIRST DAY
  第一天

The sight of the vast pinewood, embracing the whole horizon, the sight of the 'Forest,' recalls the sight of the ocean. And the sensations it arouses are the same; the same primaeval untouched force lies outstretched in its breadth and majesty before the eyes of the spectator. From the heart of the eternal forest, from the undying bosom
  of the waters, comes the same voice: 'I have nothing to do with thee,'--nature says to man, 'I reign supreme , while do thou bestir thyself to thy utmost to escape dying.' But the forest is gloomier ;and more monotonous than the sea, especially the pine forest, which is always alike and almost soundless. The ocean menaces and caresses , it
  frolics with every colour, speaks with every voice; it reflects the sky, from which too comes the breath of eternity , but an eternity as it were not so remote from us.... The dark, unchanging pine-forest keeps sullen silence or is filled with a dull roar--and at the sight of it sinks into man's heart more deeply, more irresistibly, the sense of his own nothingness.

广漠的松木,含抱整个地平线。这样的景象,这森林的景象,唤起海洋的情景。它唤醒的感觉是相同的。同样的太古的未触及的力量,在目击者的眼前宽阔而威严地伸展。从永远的森林之心,从海水的不朽之胸,发出同样的声音:"我跟你毫无干系",大自然对人说,"我的统治至高无上,而你则尽全力地活跃去逃避死亡。" 而森林比大海更忧郁更单调。 尤其是松林, 永远都是一样的,几乎无声的。大海威胁且抚弄。它以每个颜色欢闹,说出各种声音;它映照天空,从那里还发出永恒的气息,而永恒离我们并不遥远。。。黑暗而不变的松林持有阴沈的寂静,或充满迟钝的咆哮 -- 看见它,沉落于人心的,更深更无法抵抗地,是人自己的虚无感。

It is hard for man, the creature of a day, born yesterday, and doomed to death on the morrow, it is hard for him to bear the cold gaze of the eternal Isis, fixed without sympathy upon him: not only the daring hopes and dreams of youth are humbled and quenched within him, enfolded by the icy breath of the elements; no--his whole soul sinks down and swoons within him; he feels that the last of his kind may vanish off the face of the earth--and not one needle will quiver on those twigs; he feels his isolation, his
  feebleness, his fortuitousness--and in hurried, secret panic, he turns to the petty cares and labours of life; he is more at ease in that world he has himself created; there he is at home, there he dares yet believe in his own importance and in his own power.

这是难为人的,他是一天的生物,,昨日出生,注定翌日死亡。人难于承担永恒的爱色斯([埃及神话]司农业及受胎之)女神冷漠的注视, 没有悲愍地固定在他身上: 不仅年轻的勇敢希望和梦想在他内心变得卑微而熄灭,被大种元素的冰冷幅度所紧抱;不--他整个的灵魂下沉,在他心里玄晕;而且他感到既便他同类的最后一个从地面消失,那些枝条上也不会有任何一根针会颤抖;他感到他的孤立,他的卑微,他的偶然性 -- 在匆忙隐秘的惊慌中,他转向生活琐碎的挂念和劳做;他在他自己创造的世界里更安逸,那里他随意,那里他仍勇于相信他自己的重要性和他自己的力量。

Such were the ideas that came into my mind, some years ago, when,standing on the steps of a little inn on the bank of the marshy little river Ressetta, I first gazed upon the forest. The bluish masses of fir-forest lay in long, continuous ridges before me; here and there was the green patch of a small birch-copse; the whole sky-line was hugged
  by the pine-wood; nowhere was there the white gleam of a church, nor bright stretches of meadow--it was all trees and trees, everywhere the ragged edge of the tree-tops, and a delicate dim mist, the eternal mist of the forest, hung over them in the distance. It was not indolent repose this immobility of life suggested; no--the absence of life, something dead, even in its grandeur, was what came to me from every side of the horizon. I remember big white clouds were swimming by, slowly and very high up, and the hot summer day lay motionless upon the silent earth. The reddish water of the stream glided without a splash
  among the thick reeds: at its bottom could be dimly discerned round cushions of pointed moss, and its banks sank away in the swampy mud, and sharply reappeared again in white hillocks of fine crumbling sand. Close by the little inn ran the trodden highroad.

这些就是涌入我心中的思绪,在某些年前,当时我正站在一个多泽的小河岸边的小客栈的台阶上。我首先凝望到森林。带青色的团团枞树林在我面前铺展成长长的连续的棱纹,到处是片片绿色的小桦树灌木林;整个天际都被松木拥抱了;全没有教堂白色的微光,也没有草地明亮的伸展 -- 除了树还是树,每个地方都是树顶的不平的边缘,和远处树林之上挂着的朦胧雾霭,森林永恒的雾霭。 在地平线的每个方向朝我走来的,既使在它的壮观里,不是生命的不可动性所暗示的懒惰的静止;不 -- 是生命的不在,死亡的什么东西。我记得大朵白云游过,慢缓而且极高,赤热的夏天不动地躺在寂静的大地上。溪流带红色的水毫无飞溅地在厚厚的芦苇之中滑过: 在溪底隐约可见带尖苔的园园铺垫,溪流的岸渐渐沉入藻泽的泥泞里,又在细碎沙土的白色小丘中突然再次出现。小客栈近处是步行的大路。

On this road, just opposite the steps, stood a cart, loaded with boxes and hampers. Its owner, a thin pedlar with a hawk nose and mouse-like eyes, bentand lame, was putting in it his little nag, lame like himself. He was a gingerbread-seller; who was making his way to the fair at Karatchev. Suddenly several people appeared on the road, others
  straggled after them ... at last, quite a crowd came trudging into sight; all of them had sticks in their hands and satchels on their shoulders. From their fatigued yet swinging gait, and from their sun-burnt faces, one could see they had come from a long distance. They were leatherworkers and diggers coming back from working for hire.

这条路上,台阶对过,停着一辆车,满载盒子与篮子。 它的主人,一个鹰钩鼻子和老鼠般眼睛的瘦瘦的小贩,弯曲而且跛脚, 正在把象他一样跛脚的小马安到车上。 他贩卖姜饼面包(便宜货) , 正准备到K城的集市上去。 突然路上出现几个人, 他们后面散散落落着其他人。。。.最终,颇成一群,蹒跚地走入视野;他们所有人手中都有柱仗而且肩背小包。从他们疲惫而遥动的步伐中,从他们被太阳晒焦的脸上,可以看出他们远道而来。他们是从临时雇佣下班回来的皮革工和矿工。

An old man of seventy, white all over, seemed to be their leader. From time to time he turned round and with a quiet voice urged on those who lagged behind. 'Now, now, now, lads,' he said, 'no--ow.' They all walked in silence, in a sort of solemn hush. Only one of them, a little man with a wrathful air, in a sheepskin coat wide open, and a lambswool
  cap pulled right over his eyes, on coming up to the gingerbread man,suddenly inquired: 'How much is the gingerbread, you tomfool ?''What sort of gingerbread will it be, worthy sir?' the disconcerted gingerbread--man responded in a thin, little voice. 'Some are a
  farthing--and others cost a halfpenny. Have you a halfpenny in your purse?'

一个七十多岁的老人,浑身哪儿都是白的,看起来是他们的领头。他时而转身轻声摧促那些落后的人,"快,快,快, 小伙子们," 他说," 快--噢。" 他们都无声地走路,一种神圣的沈默。他们中,只有一个,有些愤怒的气氛,羊皮外套敞开着,羊毛帽拉到眼睛上,来到姜饼面包小贩面前,突然问道:"你这傻瓜,姜饼面包多少钱?"
  "是什么样的姜饼面包呢,可敬的先生?" 受窘的 面包贩用细小的声音回道." 有的一法,其它的半分。你兜里有半分钱吗?"

to be continued
作者:outtowner 时间:2007-05-17 02:52:16 美国
  谢楼主~, :)
楼主张妙明 时间:2007-10-18 10:21:22 美国
  Theanks Outtowner!

I guess I'll work on this one soon..)
作者:polonius 时间:2007-10-18 11:25:28 内蒙古
  有没有他的短篇小说《木木》? 小时候看过,灰常感动。
楼主张妙明 时间:2007-11-06 15:18:17 美国
  多谢推荐!我还没读过.

lo
楼主张妙明 时间:2007-11-06 15:20:05 美国
  www.gutenberg.org

is a good site to read English (http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/t#a922)
发表回复

请遵守天涯社区公约言论规则,不得违反国家法律法规