Some Random Thoughts on We Hate Each Other(《我们彼此敌视》)

楼主:玄衣 时间:2003-03-10 22:07:00 湖北 点击:224 回复:7
脱水 打赏 看楼主 设置

字体:

边距:

背景:

还原:

My plan to write such a story dates back to the day when an acquaintance of mine told me the aforementioned sentence: “We hate each other because we are strangers; we are strangers because we hate each other.” I was struck not by the skillful rhetoric it used, but the sense of estrangement it brought along. Thus, this sentence occurred and recurred in my mind, until I decided I should write an illustration of it.
  The locale of the story is in S city. Jiaotou joked with me, saying that S city was no more than a Utopia. I smiled at his witty words. Yes, S city is just an imagined city, created from my opinions about those big, modern but spiritually derelict cities. You can guess it is Shanghai, Shenzhen, Suzhou, Shaoxing, or whatever city you think it sounds like. But here in this story, it is only a non-existent place, applying to everywhere or nowhere.
  The characters are also created, though each of them has his own archetype.
  Sylvia, for example, is a combination of several girls I know. When I was writing, I mainly thought of an acquaintance of mine in university. We hold quite different opinions about life, so like Mohamode said, it is difficult for us to make friends. However, we share something in common: we both are whimsical, willful and weirdo-like in others’ eyes, only the extent of hers is more severe than mine. She only wears clothes with pure color, she likes walking alone deep in the night when suffering from insomnia, and she eats excessively to drive away low spirits. She has the desire to drift, and hates any rule that binds her, and is cunning in dealing with life. However, she is still childlike, while all her cunningness is no more than bravado. One of her famous jokes is that she went shopping one day, and the vender charged her of 1.2 yuan for oranges per kilo. She bargained, insisting on paying 2 yuan for 3 kilos. The vender agreed, perhaps laughing in his heart at this foolish consumer. Though she is clumsy in daily life, she is a wonderful cook, for which I admire her desperately.
  But this girl is too cynical and skeptical so that she treats love in an irresponsible way. So the devotion of Sylvia is absorbed from another girl, my closest friend in university. She and her boyfriend both come from poor villages. In order to support him, she does all the cooking, washing, as well as many part-time jobs. In an environment where boys and girls flirt and part easily, her seriousness and responsibility in her attitude toward love move many people.
  As for Silver, she is a simple girl, in which way she resembles me. Despite of her experiences, she still maintains her naivety as a vulnerable child, sticking to her ideals, even if parts of them are out of date. However, she is also selfish when she retreats to Tim for comfort, not considering his feelings.
  Earnest originates from many vivid examples I meet with my own eyes. Generally speaking, he is an excellent man, and loves sincerely his girlfriend. But as a rational young man, he has to cut with his beloved girl when confronted with the alternative between love and career. Though he is cruel in doing so, I condemn him not, for he, as well as his broken-hearted girl, is also a victim of the conflicts in life.
  I like Yunmeimei’s novel Merely A Scar very much, and the character KANG Wen in it gives me the aspiration of Tim. Also, Tim is created to commemorate my transient love experience last year. I had tried hard to accept someone, but soon disappointedly broke with him, as I thought he was too material. Like Silver, even my sense couldn’t persuade myself into doing something I dislike. But I feel sorry for him, as he is so tender towards me.
  Wiseman is not my focus in the story, and I know very little about the thoughts in his mind. But I once heard someone talk of the quarrels between she and her boyfriend. It broke due to the boy’s self-contempt. Thus, he tried every means to hurt her, thinking she could find a better man than himself if she will leave him. All these are ridiculous forejudgements, however, they are powerful to destroy the patience and love.
  We Hate Each Other is not a satisfactory story as I am not a good story teller. Moreover, I am not streetwise enough. That is also why I decided to write it in English: People are strict with something written in their mother language, but more tolerant towards those native-written English. In my opinion, Moment in Peking can not be eyed as a great novel if it is translated into Chinese. The characters in it are pallid, yet it enjoys world renown.
  Many people say my story is too sad. Yes, that is true. And I am going to explain why.
  There is a song named Belief by Jeff ZHANG. It says: “Love is a type of belief.” What I want to say is I let the story go this way because I don’t have such a belief, and I made it up according to my ideas about things. But if you believe in love, then please stick to it, and let it blossom in your own story.
  Finally, I want to express my thanks to all who have the patience to read the whole story. Every encouragement and opinion of yours is a good motivation for me to go on.

打赏

0 点赞

主帖获得的天涯分:0
举报 | 楼主 | 埋红包
楼主发言:5次 发图:0张 | 添加到话题 |
楼主玄衣 时间:2003-03-10 22:08:56
  最开始想写这个故事,是因为我的一个熟人对我说了那句话:“我们彼此敌视,是因为我们彼此陌生;我们彼此陌生,是因为我们彼此敌视。”我被这句话深深触动了,并不仅因为它所使用的修辞法,而是因为它所引起的一种疏离感。这句话反复出现在我脑海,直到有一天我决定写一点什么来诠释它。
  故事的背景定在S市。教头开我的玩笑,说这个S市不过是一个乌托邦。他的机智的话让我微笑:是的,S市的确是一个虚拟的城市,来源于我对所有的摩登但是冷漠的大城市的印象。你可以猜测它是上海、深圳、苏州、绍兴或者任意一个城市。可是故事里的它其实只是一个并不曾存在过的城市,四处都是,又四处皆非。
  所有的人物也是虚构的,虽然基本都有其自己的原型。
  比如Sylvia就是我认识的多个女孩子的综合。当我写的时候,我主要想到的是我大学里的一个搭子。我们对生活的态度十分不一样,所以就如摸哈摸德说的,我们很难建立友谊。可是我们毕竟有不少相似之处:我们都异想天开,我行我素,是别人眼里的怪物,只是她的任性程度比我的还要大罢了。她只穿纯色的衣服,失眠的时候喜欢一个人散步,情绪低落的时候大吃大喝。她有漂泊的欲望,憎恨一切束缚她的条条款款,并且力图狡猾地对待生活。但是实质上她还是保有孩子气,她的复杂只是一种虚张声势。她的一个出名的笑话是一天她去买东西,水果店老板要价橘子一斤六毛钱。她讨价还价,说,两块钱三斤吧。当然,老板欢天喜地地答应了。虽然她在日常生活里很糊涂,但她有一手好厨艺;这一点,我是非常羡慕的。
  但是这个女孩太愤世嫉俗,对一切都持怀疑态度,所以她对待爱情的态度很不负责任。因此,文中Sylvia对爱情的认真,取材于我大学里的一个密友。她同她的男朋友都来自贫穷的山村,为了帮助她的男朋友,她承担了做饭、洗衣的任务,而且接了很多兼职工作挣钱。在一个男女轻率调情然后又轻易分离的环境里,这份对待爱情的认真态度打动了很多人。
  至于Silver,她是一个简单的女子,这一点有些像我自己。尽管经历复杂,她还保持着她孩子似的敏感脆弱天真。她坚持自己的价值观,即使有些已经落后于时代了。但是她也自私,以为什么事情都可以由她自由支配,所以她明明已经拒绝了Tim,走投无路时还是会求助于他。
  Earnest来源于我亲眼见到的许多实例。大体说来,他是个优秀的男人,也是真心地爱着自己的女友的。可是作为一个理性的人,当面对事业和爱情的选择时,他选择了放弃自己心爱的人。虽然这样是残忍的,我并不想去谴责他,因为他和他心碎的女友一样,其实都是人生众多矛盾的一个牺牲品。
  我非常喜欢“舞文弄墨”里云妹妹写的小说《只是伤痕》,其中,康文这个角色给了我很深的印象,并促使我写Tim.而且,Tim也是对我自己一段短暂爱情的回忆:曾经有这么一个人这么爱过我,可是我认为他太过实际,终于和他分开。和Silver一样,我无法勉强自己。可是对他,我毕竟是抱歉的;虽然我坚信我不会学Silver,在走投无路、伤痕累累的时候再度投靠他。
  Wiseman不是故事的重点,我对这样的人物也不是很熟悉。但我曾听别人说过她同男朋友的争吵。他们彼此爱着,可是他太不自信,总以为跟着自己不会有幸福,所以想方设法要气走自己爱着和爱着自己的人。其实,这不过是一种自己的臆想。很多时候,阻碍爱情的,不过是这些自己臆想出来的因素,但是它们具有强大的杀伤力。
  这个故事不能说多令人满意,因为我并不擅长讲故事,而且也缺乏对世情的了解。这也是我选择用英语来写这个故事的原因:人们对用本国语言所写的东西会严厉一些,对英文无疑更加宽容。我个人认为,如果翻译成中文,林语堂的《京华烟云》谈不上是多么了不起的小说,人物的塑造只能说是差强人意;可是这部英文小说赢得了广泛好评。
  《我们彼此敌视》是个悲哀的故事,不得善终。我想解释一下原因。
  张信哲有一首歌《信仰》:“爱是一种信仰。”我想说的是,我这么让故事发展,是因为我目前没有这种信仰,所以我使这个故事按照我自己的信仰去发展了。如果你有,那么请坚持,并使这份信仰在你自己的生活里生长开花结果。
  最后,我向所有有耐心读完这个故事的朋友致谢:你们的每一次鼓励和每一个意见,都是我继续的动力。谢谢大家。

玄衣

作者:流离态 时间:2003-03-10 22:12:19
  故事呢????
  故事呢????
  在哪里????
  吊我胃口哦 …………
作者:流离态 时间:2003-03-10 22:14:34
  看
  我是第一个!!
  感动不……

系统怀疑你灌水(短时间内连续发贴),请您过60秒后再发!