边距:

背景:

还原:

Sit Back and Relax
  往后靠,放轻松

The joys of airplane travel.愉快的空中之旅

Spatially Challenged
  空间的挑战

There is a special room in hell where the flames are extra hot and you must sleep sitting straight up. The sign on the door says: Reserved for People Who Reclined Their Seatbacks the Entire Flight. Most of us understand the discomfort we are inflicting on the poor schmo behind us and try to limit our reclining for the lights-out portion of the flight. If everyone leans back together, in the manner of a synchronized, unattractively upholstered Esther Williams swim routine, then no one is unfairly crowded.
  在地狱里,有一间特别的房子,那里烈火冲天,你必须直直座立着睡觉。在门上有着一个告示:特为那些在飞行中全程靠在椅背上的人们预留。大多数的人都知道,那个坐在我们背后的傻瓜是多么不舒服,一直在限制着我们在飞行的熄灯时段的椅子倾斜度。如果每一个人都像游泳健将Esther Williams的游泳路径一样,完全同步,不引人注目的修饰的一起向后靠,那么,就不会有人感到被不公平的挤压了。

I had a seatback diva in front of me last week. We were barely airborne, and there she was in my lap. Using my computer would now entail making a slit in my belly flab and inserting the front half of the keyboard inside me, so that the bottom row of letters were rendered inaccessible and I would have to make do without the words banana, vixen, balaclava and many other colorful favorites.
  上周,一个著名女歌唱家坐在我前面的位置上。我们才刚上飞机,而她已经将座椅往后折了。害得我使用电脑的时候把腹部赘肉处压迫出来一条痕,键盘的前半部杵着我。因此我没有办法完成信件的结尾部分,我不能写下香蕉,泼妇,巴拉克拉法帽这样的词和其他各种有趣的嗜好。

Defeated, I tried to watch the little TV mounted in the seatback in front of me. Alas, the screen was so close to my face that my eyes were crossing. Emeril had become a set of perfectly choreographed twin Emerils, which was one or possibly two more Emerils than I could handle. In desperation, I turned to my complimentary copy of the Sky Mall catalog and began to read. A mail-order company was selling "the Most Compact Washing Machine in the World," enabling, I don't know, Keebler elves to do laundry in their tree. "Tiki Head Tissue Box Dispenses Tissue Through the Nose!" another ad reported excitedly.
  败下阵来的我便想去看固定在我面前椅背上的小电视。哎,电视屏幕简直贴着我的脸,眼睛都花了。Emeril变成了一组经过完美设计的双生儿,或者两个以上更多的Emeril让我无所适从。无奈之下,我开始阅读起免费赠送的Sky Mall目录的副本。一个邮购公司正在销售“世界上最小的洗衣机”,我不太相信,可以使Keebler elves在他们的树上洗衣服。还有另一则广告激动人心的写着:“Tiki Head牌得纸巾盒将纸巾派发到你鼻子下。”

"Who would buy this?" I said to the man in the middle seat, but he was busy waving down a flight attendant. "Miss?" He was holding up his knees. "Is there room in the overhead bin for these?"
  我转向坐在中间的那个男子,问他,“你说谁会购买呢?”但是他正在忙向乘务员挥手,他抬起膝盖,问道:“小姐,行李舱里面还有地方搁这些东西吗?”

We hit a pocket of turbulence and Bloody Mary mix slopped onto the chinos of the man next to me. I pointed to the Most Compact Washing Machine in the World. "You need this," I said. The man did not smile. His expression was just like the Tiki Head with tissues up its nostrils, displeased and clearly embarrassed about the situation yet resolutely stoic.
  我们开始一阵折腾,将血玛莉酒混合液洒到了坐我旁边男子的丝光卡其布裤子上。我指着那个洗衣机的广告对他说,“你需要它。”这个男人没有笑,他的表情就像Tiki Head在用纸巾擦着鼻子,面对这样不愉快,很麻烦的局面,依然保持着坚决的极高的自制度。
  Turf Wars
  势力之战
  More and more, you must board a plane like a general going to war. You must constantly defend your turf -- your wee, airless kingdom. The occupier of the next seat will make his move upon your armrest the moment your vigilance flags. You will return from the bathroom to find an elbow planted in the little vinyl peninsula where your people once roamed free.
  越来越多的时候,你登机就要像一个将上阵的将军。你不需要不断的保护你的势力范围—这个小小的不透气的王国。当坐在你旁边的那个人占用你的扶手的时候,你要开始扬旗警戒了。你从洗手间回来后发现,那片你恣意徜徉的小小乙烯树脂的半岛已经被一个手肘占据了。
  The battle for armrest dominance has grown ever more intense in the era of the laptop computer. The airplane seat -- designed to be a chair, and never very good at it -- has now been asked to perform double duty as an office. Soon people will be bringing fitness equipment and hobby craft aboard, and the company that makes the elfin washers will need to get started on looms and rowing machines.
  而扶手领地的战役在使用手提电脑的时期将会演变得更加的炽烈。还没有熟练操作设计成椅子的飞机座位,就已经开始要求实现它的双重功能——做办公室。很快,人们会自带适当的设备和爱好的船舶上飞机了,那家做微型洗衣机的公司要上开始着手制作桨柄和划桨机器了。
  Complex rules apply to the space beneath your seat, for it belongs, technically, to the person behind you. Not long ago, I was on a transcontinental flight when I was awakened by the woman behind me. "Excuse me?" She was holding a plastic juice cup. "Excuse me? This is coming in my section." I had put my empty cup under my seat and it had slid backward, crossing an imaginary line in the carpeting. She was peeved. Her eyes were squinty and her nostrils were flaring, as though about to dispense tissues through the nose.
  复杂的规定将你座位下面的空间技术的划归坐在你背后的人使用。在不久之前,我在跨洲的飞行途中被坐在我后面的女人叫醒。“打扰一下。”她拿着一个塑料的果汁杯,对我说,“对不起,这个杯子跑到我的位置上来了。”原来是我早先放在我座位下面的空杯子滚到后面,并超过了那条地毯上的假想线。她被触怒了,七窍生烟,仿佛真的要从鼻子下分发纸巾一般。
  People were staring, so I took the cup. Later that night, a pantyhosed foot made a stealth assault on the back of my right armrest. It was her: the Juice Cup Border Patrol.
  人们都看过来,不得已我把杯子接过来。夜里,一只穿这裤袜的脚偷偷的从我右边扶手处突击。原来是她:果汁杯子边界巡逻队。
  "Excuse me?" I nudged the foot ungently. "This is coming in my section."
  “对不起,”我极不友善的用手肘推开她的脚,“这是我的地盘。”
  Several hours went by without incident. I was beginning to drift off, when I heard a driving, tinny noise: ch-ch, ch-ch, ch-ch, ch-ch ... The woman behind me had mobilized the most fearsome weapon in the modern airplane arsenal: the Overly Loud Headphones.
  几个小时过去,相安无事。我快要睡着的时候,一种微弱的驱动噪音传过来。哧-哧-哧-哧-哧-哧。坐在我后面的那个女人开始调出那个现代航空飞机上最可怕的武器:超大声的头戴耳机
  I waved my hot towel in surrender.
  我舞动着热毛巾投降了。

打赏

0 点赞

主帖获得的天涯分:0
举报 | | 楼主 | 埋红包
楼主发言:1次 发图:0张 | 添加到话题 |
楼主孔雀爱尾 时间:2007-02-12 17:59:11
  这里有比较多不太懂的地方要请教:

1。 Most of us understand the discomfort we are inflicting on the poor schmo behind us and try to limit our reclining for the lights-out portion of the flight.大多数的人都知道,那个坐在我们背后的傻瓜是多么不舒服,一直在限制着我们在飞行的熄灯时段的椅子倾斜度。

2。 in the manner of a synchronized, unattractively upholstered Esther Williams swim routine每一个人都像游泳健将Esther Williams的游泳路径一样,完全同步,不引人注目的修饰的一起向后靠

3。 We were barely airborne, and there she was in my lap. Using my computer would now entail making a slit in my belly flab and inserting the front half of the keyboard inside me我们才刚上飞机,而她已经将座椅往后折了。害得我使用电脑的时候把腹部赘肉处压迫出来一条痕,键盘的前半部杵着我。

4。many other colorful favorites. 其他各种有趣的嗜好。

5. Emeril had become a set of perfectly choreographed twin Emerils, which was one or possibly two more Emerils than I could handle.Emeril变成了一组经过完美设计的双生儿,或者两个以上更多的Emeril让我无所适从。

6。We hit a pocket of turbulence and Bloody Mary mix slopped onto the chinos of the man next to me.我们开始一阵折腾,将血玛莉酒混合液洒到了坐我旁边男子的丝光卡其布裤子上。

7。Soon people will be bringing fitness equipment and hobby craft aboard, and the company that makes the elfin washers will need to get started on looms and rowing machines. 很快,人们会自带适当的设备和爱好的船舶上飞机了,那家做微型洗衣机的公司要上开始着手制作桨柄和划桨机器了。

8.I waved my hot towel in surrender.
  我舞动着热毛巾投降了。----为什么说“hot towel”,感觉上下文没有关联呀。。。

作者:ktdid 时间:2007-02-12 19:49:53
  1. and try to limit 是和 understand 并列的
  2. Esther Williams 是个电影女明星,练过游泳,主演过《出水芙蓉》,routine可不是泳道,整句话意思是说,如果所有人都象花样游泳里那样姿势整齐地向后仰,汗,明白了吗
  3. a seatback diva 这个应该不是真的在说歌唱家,就象中国人说“极品女”
  We were barely airborne, and there she was in my lap. 飞机还没升空,她已经躺在我膝盖上了。当然,是种夸张的说法
  Using my computer would now entail making a slit in my belly flab and inserting the front half of the keyboard inside me 我想再用电脑的话,就得在肚皮上拉个口,把键盘前半截塞进去
  4. favorites = favorite words (都是包含键盘最下一排字母的:)
  4.5. eyes were crossing 对眼、斗鸡眼
  5.5. copy 我看不用译出来
  Keebler 是一种饼干品牌,广告宣传说Keebler饼干是住在树干里的精灵(elves)做出来的
  He was holding up his knees. "Is there room in the overhead bin for these?" 这是个玩笑,那人问空中小姐,头顶行李仓里有没有地方放他的膝盖
  We hit a pocket of turbulence 指飞机遇到湍流上下颠簸

后面的偶没仔细看了
  Tiki Head Tissue Box见下面的图片:)

楼主孔雀爱尾 时间:2007-02-12 20:13:44
  哈哈,谢谢,

看来我要慢慢整理一下了。暴汗!!~~~
作者:mengzhige 时间:2007-02-12 20:36:26
   The sign on the door says: Reserved for People Who Reclined Their Seatbacks the Entire Flight. Most of us understand the discomfort we are inflicting on the poor schmo behind us and try to limit our reclining for the lights-out portion of the flight.
  第一行的says是否用错了
  应该用saying ??????
楼主孔雀爱尾 时间:2007-02-12 21:22:36
  为什么要用saying呢

作者:crzhao 时间:2007-02-13 12:36:05
  you have too much word-for-word translation in this case. you need to first to understand what this is talking about, small room/space in airplane seating (coach class).

Reclined (Their) Seatbacks, seat on airplane has two positions, up-right (during the take-off, landing or hit turbulance, and during these situation, capitan almost always will turn on lights to remind passenger to buckle up) recline (at cruise altitude and speed, accompanied with light for belt is off)
作者:crzhao 时间:2007-02-13 12:41:25
  airborne means leave ground, not abording.
  many other colorful favorites: refers to curse/swear words.
  #5, you need to understand that screen is too close for him to focus and follow.
作者:crzhao 时间:2007-02-13 12:50:32
  the moment your vigilance flags. the moment your vigilance get relaxed;

The battle for armrest dominance has grown ever more intense in the era of the laptop computer. The airplane seat -- designed to be a chair, and never very good at it -- has now been asked to perform double duty as an office.

airplane seat is designed to be seated (not for working), though it is poorly designed. however as laptop computer becomes ever popular (travelers bring laptop on airplane), people try to turn it into a small office (very uncomfortalbe)

#7. is saying, scarstically, that if this trend (assign more duty to airplane seat) goes one, soon people will bring all kinds of stuff onboard.

作者:crzhao 时间:2007-02-13 12:56:45
  #8, airline provide hot towel (white) before/after meal for cleaning hand. waving whit flag=surrend.

there is nothing wrong in "The sign on the door says", you could use "reads" or whatever fits.
作者:crzhao 时间:2007-02-13 13:02:39
  Complex rules apply to the space beneath your seat, for it belongs, technically, to the person behind you.

as a tridtion,the space underneath your seat is for the passenger behind you (usually to put his/her carry-on luggage, or extend and relax legs)
楼主孔雀爱尾 时间:2007-02-13 13:12:33
  谢谢crzhao,的确这章对我来说还是很有难度的。

感觉有费劲.谢谢你的详细点评,,~~~
作者:冰凉细胞 时间:2015-08-03 20:58:46
  Sit Back and Relax!
  坐和放宽!

发表回复

请遵守天涯社区公约言论规则,不得违反国家法律法规