作者:李小龙
  书名不会译:(

PART ONE
  On first principles
  第一部分
  基本原理

Life
  生活

Emptiness the starting point.-In order to taste my cup of water you must first empty your cup. My friend, drop all of your preconceived fixed ideas and be neutral. Do you know why this cup is so useful? Because it is empty.
  始于虚空。——欲尝我杯中之水,须先清空你的杯子。朋友,放下你所有先入为主的固有成见,保持中立。你可知杯子为何有用?因它是空的。

Flow in the process of life.-You can never step in the same water twice, my friend. Like flowing water, life is perpetual movement. There is nothing fixed. Whatever your problems happen to be in the future, remember well that they cannot remain stationary but must move together with your living spirit. Otherwise, you will drift into artificiality or attempt to solidify the ever-flowing. To avoid that, you must change and be flexible. Remember, the usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness.
  流动于生命之旅。——你不可能踏入同一条河流两次,朋友。生命运动不息,正如河水奔流不止。没有任何事物是固定僵止的。无论将来你遇到何种问题,请牢记:问题不会保持固定僵止,它将随你活泼的内心而变动。若非如此,你就会陷入人为的不自然状态,或试图阻止那永恒的流动。要想避免那样,你必须做出改变、灵活圆通。记住:杯子的用处正在于它的空。

Life has no frontier.-Life is wide, limitless. There is no border, no frontier.
  生命无界。——生命是广阔的,无限的。生命无边,亦无界。

To live is a constant process of relating.-To live is a constant process of relating, so come on out of that shell of isolation and conclusion, and relate DIRECTLY to what is being said. Bear in mind I seek neither your approval nor to influence you. So do not make up your mind as to “this is this” or “that is that.” I will be more than satisfied if you begin to learn to investigate everything yourself from now on.
  活着是一个持续不断的关联过程。——活着是一个持续不断的关联过程,因此,请跳出那些孤立的与既定结论的硬壳,去直接关注它所表达的内容。记住,我不求你的附和,也不要影响你。故切勿断言“这就是这”或“那就是那”。若你从现在开始学会自己去探究每一件事,我会更加满意。

Life simply is.-Living exists when life lives through us-unhampered in its flow, for he who is living is not conscious of living and, in this, is the life it lives. Life lives; and in the living flow, no questions are raised. The reason is that life is a living now! So, in order to live life wholeheartedly, the answer is life simply is.
  生命本来如此。——当生命依由我们而在,生活便亦存在了——生命无碍地流动,恰因一个活生生的人是意识不到这种活动的,在此,他就是灵动的生命。生命是灵动的,在活泼的流动中,问题不再浮现。因为在此刻,生命即是生活!所以,若想全心意地、完整地历验生命,答案即是:生命本来如此。

Life-for its own sake.-Realize the fact that you simply “live” and not “live for.”
  生命——本身即为目的。——明了这样一个事实:你仅仅是“活着”而非“为某种目的而活”。

The meaning of life.-The meaning of life is that it is to be lived, and it is not to be traded and conceptualized and squeezed into a pattern of systems.
  生命的意义。——生命的意义就在于它是为了活着,既不是为了某种交易,也不是为了被赋予某种概念,更不是为了削足适履以纳入某种体系形式。

Life is the effect of feelings.-life is simply what our feelings do to us.
  生命是感觉的产物。——生命仅仅是我们的感觉所加于我们的。

The meaning of life.-All in all, the goal of my planning and doing is to find the true meaning in life-peace of mind. In order to achieve this peace of mind, the teaching of detachment of Taoism and Zen proved to be valuable.
  生命的意义。——总而言之,我计划与行动的目标是寻找生命的意义——内心的安宁。为了达到内心的安宁,道家与禅学中超然脱俗的教义被证明是颇有价值的。

The secret of life.-The aphorism “as a man thinketh in his heart so is he”*contains the secret of life. James Allen further added “A man is literally what he thinks.” This might be a shocking statement, but everything is a state of mind.
  *Note: This is also found in Proverbs 23:7 which says “As he thinketh in his heart, so is he.”
  生命的奥秘。——“当一个人用心去思考时,他就是他”。* 这句格言蕴含着生命的奥秘。詹姆斯•阿伦也说过:“一个人想什么,他就是什么”。也许这是一种令人震惊的说法,不过每一件事其实都是一种心境、一种思想状态。
  * 注:见《圣经•旧约•箴言篇》23:7:“当他用心去思考时,他就是他”。

Meaning is found in relationship.-Meaning is the relationship of the foreground figure to the background.
  意义存在于关系中。——意义是表象与背景之间的关系。

Manipulation and control are not the ultimate joy of life.-We realize that manipulation and control are not the ultimate joy of life-to become real, to learn to take a stand, to develop one’s center, to the support of our total personality, a release to spontaneity-yes, yes, yes!
  操纵与控制绝非生命的终极欢乐。——我们认识到,操纵与控制绝非生命的终极欢乐——变得更为真实,学会表明立场,发展个人中心,强化我们的完整人格,释放自发性——是的,是的,是的!

The essence of life.-The essence: free movement of spirit. Original essence.
  生命的本质。——本质:精神的自由运动。最原初的本质。

Violence is a part of life.-It should be remembered that violence and aggression is part of everyday life now. You see it over the TV. You can’t just pretend that it does not exist.
  暴力是生命的一部分。——要记住:暴力与侵犯是当今日常生活的一部分。你在电视中看到它。你无法假装它不存在。

The principle of life.-Life is never stagnation. It is a constant movement, unrhythmic movement, as well as constant change. Things live by moving and gain strength as they go.
  生命的原则。——生命永不停滞。它是一种持续的运动,无节奏的运动,也是一种持续的变化。事物均产生于运动中,并在运动中增加力量。

Life is sometimes unpleasant.-Life is an ever-flowing process and somewhere on the path some unpleasant things will pop up-it might leave a scar, but then life is flowing, and like running water, when it stops it grows stale. Go bravely on, my friend, because each experience teaches us a lesson. Keep blasting because life is such that sometimes it is nice and sometimes it is not.
  生命有时并不快乐。——生命是一个流动不息的历程,在前方路上的某个地方,总会有些不快乐的事情突然发生——或许会留下创伤,但生命将继续流动,就像奔腾的河水,一旦停止,便会腐坏。勇敢前行,我的朋友,因为每一段经历都会教育我们。保持冲劲,因为生命就是这样:有时美好,有时艰难。

The pendulum of life must have balance.-Only sober moderation lasts, and that persists through all time. Only the midpart of anything is preserved because the pendulum of life must have balance, and the midpart is the balance.
  生命的钟摆必须平衡。——只有冷静的节制在持续,永远持续下去。只有事物的中心部分可得以保持,因为生命的钟摆必须保持平衡,而中心部分便是平衡。

Pliability is life.-Be pliable. When a man is living, he is soft and pliable; when he is dead, he becomes rigid. Pliability is life; rigidity is death, whether one speaks of man’s body, his mind, or his spirit.
  柔软便是生命。——柔软。当一个人活着,他是温和与柔软的,当他死去,就会变得僵硬。柔软是生命,僵化是死亡,不管谈论的是身体、思想还是精神。

Life as educator.-Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning.
  生命是教师。——生命本身就是你的老师,你总是处于一种持续不断的学习状态之中。

To live is to create.-To live is to express, and to express you have to create. Creation is never merely repetition. To live is to express oneself freely in creation.
  活着就要创造。——活着就要表达,表达就要创造。创造绝不仅仅是重复。活着就是在创造中自由地表达自我。

The process of life.-Since life is an ever-evolving process, one should flow in this process and discover how to actualize and expand oneself.
  生命的过程。——因为生命是一个不断发展的过程,所以一个人应该在此过程中保持流动,并发现如何发展和实现自己。

The oneness of life.-The oneness of all life is a truth that can be fully realized only when false notions of a separate self-whose destiny can be considered apart from the WHOLE-are forever annihilated.
  生命的统一。——一切生命的统一乃是一个真理,这真理只有在自我割裂的错误观念——它注定被看作是从整体中分割出来的——被永久地消除之后才能被完整地了解。

The life of perfection is the simple life.-A simple life is one of plainness, in which profit is discarded, cleverness abandoned, selfishness eliminated, and desires reduced. It is the life of perfection which seems to be incomplete, and of fullness which seems to be empty. It is the life which is as bright as light, but does not dazzle. In short, it is a life of harmony, unity , contentment , tranquility, constancy, enlightenment, peace, and long life.
  完美的生命是简单的生命。——简单的生命是一种单纯,在其中,利益被抛开,机智被舍弃,自私被丢除,欲望被减少。它是完美的生命,看上去似乎并不完整,它是充实的生命,看上去似乎空空如也。它是明亮如阳光的生命,但却并不耀眼夺目。简而言之,它是协调的、统一的、满足的、宁静的、坚定的、开悟的、安宁的、长久的生命。

Life must be understood from moment to moment.-Life is something for which there is no answer; it must be understood from moment to moment-the answer we find inevitably conforms to the pattern of what we think we know.
  生命必须在每时每刻中加以理解。——生命是没有答案的,必须在每时每刻中加以理解——我们所找到的答案,总是不可避免地与我们自认为已经了解的某种模式相一致。

Enjoy yourself.-Remember my friend to enjoy your planning as well as your accomplishment, for life is too short for negative energy.
  享受自己。——朋友,请记住,既要享受你的计划,也要享受你的成就,因为生命苦短,莫要消极颓丧。

Existence
  存在

Existence and anti-existence.-What is the opposite of existence? The immediate answer would be “nonexistence,” but this is incorrect. The opposite would be anti-existence, just as the opposite of matter is antimatter.
  存在与反存在。——存在的对立面是什么?最直接的回答是“不存在”,但这是不确切的。存在的对立面应该是反存在,正如物质的对立面是反物质一样。

Existence precedes consciousness.-The primary reality is not what I think, but that I live, for those also live who do not think. Although this living may not be a real living. God! What contradictions when we seek to join in wedlock life and reason!
  存在先于意识。——最重要的一件事,并不是我所思考的事情,而是“我存在”这一事实,因为很多人并不思考,却同样存在。尽管这存在或许不是真正的存在。上帝!要是我们想把理性思考强加于婚姻生活之中,那将会是多么的矛盾啊!

Existence is dynamic.-This state is far from static, it is a being without continuity.
  存在是动态的。——它绝不是静态的,那是一种缺乏连续性的状态。

“Sum, ergo cogito.”-The truth is “Sum, ergo cogito;” “I am, therefore I think,” although not everything that is thinks. Is not conscious thinking above all consciousness of being? Is pure thought possible, without consciousness of self, without personality? Can there exist pure knowledge without feeling, without that species of materiality which feeling lends to it? Do we not perhaps feel thought, and do we not feel ourselves in the act of knowing and willing?
  “汇总,所以COGITO”。——真理是“汇总,所以COGITO”。“我存在,所以我思考”,尽管不是每一件事情都思考。有意识地思考不正是基于一切人类意识之上吗?没有自我意识、也没有人格个性,纯粹的思考怎么可能存在?没有感觉,没有我们所感知到的特定事物,纯粹的知识怎么可能存在?我们会感觉不到思考吗?在求知与抉择的行动中,我们会感觉不到自己吗?

The fundamental relationship between existence and cognition.-To doubt is to think, and thought is the only thing in the universe whose existence cannot be denied, because to deny is to think. When one says that thought exists, it automatically includes saying that one exists because there is no thought that does not contain as one of its elements a subject who thinks.
  存在与认识的基本关系。——怀疑即是思考,而思考是宇宙间惟一的事情,思考的存在是无法否认的,因为否认也是思考。当一个人宣称思考是存在的,那就自动包括了同时宣称他的存在,因为没有哪一种思考能够缺少了思考者这一主体要素。

Time
  时间

On past, present, and future.-My friend, do think of the past in terms of those memories of events and accomplishments which were pleasant, rewarding, and satisfying. The present? Well, think of it in terms of challenges and opportunities, and the rewards available for the application of your talents and energies. As for the future, that is a time and a place where every worthy ambition you possess is within your grasp.
  过去,现在,未来。——朋友,请回想过去,那些令人愉快、有益、感到满足的事件与成就。现在?好,想一想那些挑战与机遇,以及你运用自己的天赋与能量所能获得的回报。至于未来,则是某时某地,你所有的一切极富价值的雄心壮志都已在你能力所及的范围之内。

The timeless moment.-The “moment” has no yesterday or tomorrow. It is not the result of thought and therefore has no time.
  永恒的瞬间。——“瞬间”没有昨天也没有明天。它并非思想的产物,故而没有时间。

Knowledge, knowing, and time.-Knowledge, surely, is always of time, whereas knowing is not of time. Knowledge is from a source, from an accumulation, from a conclusion, while knowing is a movement.
  知识,认知,与时间。——毋庸置疑,知识总是与时间相关联,而认知却与时间无关。知识来自资料、来自积累、来自结论,而认知是一个动作。

To be free of the bonds of time.-To realize freedom the mind has to learn to look at life, which is vast movement, without the bondage of time, for freedom lies beyond the field of consciousness-care for watching, but don’t stop and interpret “I am free,” then you’re living in a memory of something that has gone.
  勿受时间的禁锢。——要实现自由,精神必须要学会直视生命,生命是广大无边的运动,它不受时间的束缚,因自由是存在于意识领域之外的——用心观察,切勿停止,切勿解释“我是自由的”,那样你将活在对已逝事物的回忆之中。

Time spent vs. time wasted.-To spend time is to pass it in a specified manner. To waste time is to expend it thoughtlessly or carelessly. We all have time to either spend or waste, and it is our decision what to do with it. But once passed, it is gone forever.
  花费时间与浪费时间。——花费时间是指以某种特定的方式度过时间。浪费时间是指不加考虑、漫不经心地消耗时间。我们都在度过时间,不是花费,便是浪费,如何度过时间由我们自己决定。而时间一旦度过,便永远地一去不返。

The value of time.-Time means a lot to me because, you see, I, too, an also a learner and am often lost in the joy of forever developing and simplifying. If you love life, don’t waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
  时间的价值。——时间对我来说意味着许多。因为,如你所知,我也是一名学习者,我常常沉迷于不断发展与精简的快乐之中。若你热爱生命,就不要浪费时间,因为生命是由时间构成的。

Time and philosophy.-My only problem these days is time. I find myself dashing back and forth between Los Angeles and Hong Kong four and five times a year. It is a very schizophrenic way to make a living, but then, that’s what University of Washington philosophy courses prepare you for, I suppose.
  时间与哲学。——这段日子里,我惟一的问题就是时间。我发现自己忙着往来穿梭于洛杉矶与香港,每年有四、五次。这真是一种要令人崩溃的谋生方式,不过我想,正是华盛顿大学的哲学课程使我已对此做好了准备。

打赏

0 点赞

主帖获得的天涯分:0
举报 | | 楼主 | 埋红包
楼主发言:1次 发图:0张 | 添加到话题 |
作者:liulaoshi 时间:2008-07-14 09:13:53
  STRIKING THOUGHTS 书名不会译 :(
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  叫《醒思录》如何?

作者:outtowner 时间:2008-07-14 09:55:03
    STRIKING THOUGHTS
    作者:李小龙