楼主:confuseoldman 时间:2011-01-08 23:06:00 点击:46711 回复:2775
脱水 打赏 看楼主 设置

字体:

边距:

背景:

还原:

上页 126 27 28 下页  到页 
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-19 14:55:34
  PRESENTER: Hello and welcome to another informative edition of Teachers in Shanghai. Today’s question is “How do you like to plan your lessons?”
  发言人:大家好,欢迎来到新一期的Teachers in Shanghai。今天的问题是:你喜欢如何备课?”

ET1: I like to plan my lessons while waiting in my local bank. Gives me plenty of time!
  英语老师1:我喜欢在银行排队的时候备课。给我足够多的时间吧。

ET2: I like to plan my lessons, while watching a very violent movie. Jet li or Mr. Van Damme, I don’t care! (Sound of a punching fist)
  英语老师2:我喜欢边备课边看暴力功夫片。李连杰或范达梅。我不在乎!(击拳的声音)

ET3: I like to plan my lessons listening to the latest sounds or doing my nails.
  英语老师3:我喜欢在备课时听最新的音乐,或者做指甲。

ET4: I like to plan my lessons riding my faithful Steed bicycle across the great, buffalo strewn plains of Century Park. Yeehaw!
  英语老师4:我喜欢在备课时骑上我心爱的Steed自行车在世纪公园的平地上驰骋。

ET5: I … like to … plan my … lessons …very slow-ly … and …de-liberately. Only fools … rush … things.
  英语老师5:我喜欢慢慢地备课。只有傻瓜才匆匆忙忙地做事。

ET6: I like to plan my lessons, while looking at my beautiful face in the mirror. My sensuous green eyes, my noble nose, my steely chin, not forgetting my pouty, full blooded …
  英语老师6:我喜欢在备课时欣赏镜子中自己漂亮的脸庞。我漂亮的绿眼睛,高贵的鼻子,直挺的下巴,也不会忘了我噘起的,血色红润的……

PRESENTER: Ahem! I’m afraid we’ll have to forget them, we’ve ran out of time. Join us again next week, when we’ll be asking our experts, “Tomato or Tomato. How do you like it?” Until then ... tata!
  发言人:阿哈!恐怕我们得忘掉他们了,时间到啦。请下周继续收听,到那时我们会问专家:“番茄的2种发音,你们是怎么看的?”今天就到这里了,再见!

Vocabulary (Definitions)
  Informative (adj) : imparting knowledge 信息量大,有教育意义的
  Violent (adj) : marked by extreme force or sudden intense activity 暴力的
  Latest Sounds : most recent music 最新的音乐
  Plain (noun) : an extensive area of level or rolling treeless country 平原;平地
  Yehaw : shout of extreme happiness 快乐的呼喊
  Noble: (adj) : of high birth or exalted rank 贵族的;高雅的
  Sensuous (adj) : having strong sensory appeal 有很强吸引力的
  Steely (adj) : resembling or suggesting steel 像钢一样的;直挺的
  Pouty (adj) : expressive of displeasure 撅嘴的,不高兴的
  Ahem (interjection) : used especially to attract attention or to express disapproval or embarrassment 清嗓子的声音
  Tata : very informal slang for goodbye 说再见的非正式方式
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-22 16:57:38
  "不在状态”英语咋说?

过完一个周末,有木有感觉脑子不转?情绪低落?工作全然不在状态?英文里如何表达糊涂困惑不在状态呢?一起来看看吧!

1. I'm not myself today.
  我今天不在状态。

2. I’m mixed up.
  我困惑了。

3. Your guess is as good as mine.
  我也没搞清楚。

4. I was messed up for years.
  这些年我一塌糊涂。

5. You're a real nitwit.
  你真是个糊涂虫。

6. I don't think she's all there.
  我觉得她脑子不太清醒。

7. I just zoned out for a moment.
  我刚才走神了。

8. Somehow my brain isn't functioning today.
  我今天脑子不太好使。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-22 17:00:39
  精选新词:cheat 欺骗

A: Oh, my God! I've been cheated!
  哦,天哪!我被骗了!

B: What? What did you buy?
  怎么了?你买了什么?

A: It's a brick! I can't believe how stupid I was. Damn it!
  一块砖头!真不敢相信我会这么愚蠢!可恶!

B: What is it? Why did you buy a brick?
  你说什么?为什么你要买块砖头?

A: There was a guy on the sidewalk (n.人行道). He had three new boxes, Panasonic video camera boxes. He said he had to get rid of them quick.
  是这样的,我在路上碰到一个人。他有三个新盒子,盒子上标着松下摄影机。他说他要快速把它们处理掉。

B: And?
  所以?

A: So he said he'd sell me one for twenty dollars. A four-hundred-dollar camera for twenty bucks (n. [美语]元,块).
  他说他可以以一个20美元的价格卖给我。一个400美元的摄像机只卖20美元。

B: And it's a brick?
  结果是一块砖头?

A: Yes.
  是的。

B: I can't believe how stupid you are. Why didn't you open the box?
  真不敢相信你会这么愚蠢。那你为什么不打开盒子呢?

A: I wanted to. But he said, no, the box is still in its plastic wrap from the store. If it's opened, other people won't believe it's new.
  我想打开看的。可是他不允许,说这个盒子还是从商店拿出来时的原塑料包装。如果打开了,别人就不相信它是新的了。

B: So he had the boxes wrapped in plastic.
  所以他把盒子包裹在塑料里了。

A: Yes, it was the kind of perfect plastic wrap that comes with new products. Look, it even had a bar-code (n.条形码) price sticker on it! It looked brand new.
  是的,就是那种新产品常用的很精美的塑料包装。看,上面还有一个条形码的价格贴纸呢。看上去是全新的。

B: But why would a guy be selling new video cameras for twenty dollars?
  但是怎么会有人把一台新照相机以20美元的价格卖出去呢?

A: He said he had to get rid of them. They were stolen.
  他说他只想处理掉它们,它们是偷来的。

B: Aha! Now I understand. You were trying to buy stolen goods on the sidewalk. So, what I think is, you deserve to get cheated!
  啊哈!现在我明白了。你想从大街上买别人偷来的东西。那么,我觉得,你被骗是咎由自取!

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-24 11:57:12
  英文聊聊“有钱人”

形容一个人很有钱,中文里你也许会想到“腰缠万贯”、“财大气粗”这样的成语。那英文里有哪些比较赞的词儿呢?今天我们就一起聊聊“有钱人”。

1. Let her pay—she's loaded.
  让她掏钱,她有的是钱。

“Loaded”是个美国俚语,作为形容词用作表语,不出现在名词前。

2. My brother is very comfortably off. He has a career in finance.
  我的哥哥很富有,他从事金融业。

这里的“comfortably off”也可以换个说法,如:My brother has enough money to live comfortably. 意思就是有足够的钱,可以过得很舒适。

3. Hotel staff were trying to keep their well-heeled guests comfortable.
  宾馆的工作人员当时尽量让那些有钱的客人们能住得舒服。

“heel”这个词谁都不陌生,为什么“well-heeled”就能表示有钱呢?这是因为在美国,最早只有富人们才有条件经常更换鞋跟,让鞋子能穿得久一些。普通人家付不起频繁更换鞋跟的钱,所以well-heeled就带有“富有”的意思了。

4. The best seats in the theater were reserved for the fat cats.
  剧院里最好的位置都是给那些有钱有势的人预留的。

“fat cat”不是胖猫,在美国俚语中,特别指有钱有势的大亨。

5. Do I look like I'm made of money?
  你看我像是有钱人吗?

“made of money” 光从字面上就能看出来——“用钱做的”,意思就是“有钱”。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-24 11:59:32
  突破职场天花板五点建议
  很多优秀人才很难做到中层以上、突破那层玻璃天花板 (glass ceiling)。女性实现这一飞跃尤其困难:女性中任职专业岗位的人很多,但她们只占中层管理人员的34%、高层管理人员的14%,在CEO中的比例更是只有4%。

Here are five key things to do if you want to break through the glass ceiling and go to the next level:
  如果你想突破玻璃天花板上升到新的级别,做到以下五件事情就非常关键:

1) Learn to See the Big Picture 学会纵观大局

所以如果你想上升到高管级别(make the transition to the executive level),那么首先就得让你的思维超越专门化和手头的任务 (start thinking beyond specialization and your immediate workload)。要留意可能跟你目前岗位无关、但会让你获得更广知识与见解 (wider knowledge and insights) 的锻炼机会。要与部门、公司之外的人员建立良好的关系 (develop great relationships with individuals outside your department and company)。读书、读博客、读报纸,了解本行业 (your industry) 以及整个业界 (the business community) 的动态 (stay current on what is happening)。这样,当有领导岗位的工作机会出现的时候,你就已经对需要做什么有了一套见多识广、高屋建瓴的看法 (have an informed and strategic view)。然后你就可以……

2) Take the Initiative 主动出击

To show you have what it takes to be in charge, you have to be willing to take charge. If you want to be in the top jobs, don't wait to be asked. Figure out what needs to be done and then make it happen.
  要证明你拥有管事的能力,你就得拥有管事的意愿。如果你想进入高层,那就不要等别人来问。想清楚进入高层需要做什么,然后付诸实际行动。

3) Find Mentors and Sponsors - and Know the Difference between the Two
  找到导师和举荐人,并清楚两者的不同

导师是在你了解不深的领域能够教你的人(coach you in areas where you don't have deep knowledge),他们在你的职业成长过程中亲身提供专业支持 (provide professional and personal support)。他们可以是(但通常不是)高级管理层的人 (people in senior levels of management),因为那些人多半没有时间和专门知识来把你教好。

所以举荐人不同于导师,从某种意义上讲对于你的晋升更加关键 (more critical to moving up the ladder)。举荐人是一位高级别的领导人 (a senior-level leader),是一位愿意推荐你的决策者 (someone who sits at the decision-making table)。这是至关重要的,因为大部分有关高级管理岗位的决定都由元老团队做出。如果你在这个集体中没有至少一个人支持你,那么你就进不了高级管理层。

4) Be Willing to Risk, and Risk Often 愿意冒险,经常冒险
  我们都喜欢呆在自己的舒适区不动 (stay in our comfort zone),走出舒适区会带来失败的风险。但个人和职业成长道路上的大多数机会都是新的经历带来的,希望升到下一个级别的人必须经常性地强迫自己冒险,让自己处于不安定的状态 (push yourselves to take risks and be uncomfortable on a regular basis)。

要遏制对失败的恐惧,就要持续不断地培养你的能力和自信 (continuously nurture your abilities and self-confidence)。自信心和专业能力越强,你就越会成为一只“不靠树枝、只靠翅膀” ('trusts not the branch, but its own wings.')的鸟儿。另外一定要拿出时间开发人脉 (develop your personal networks),这样即便是跌倒 (stumble) 了,也会有很多支持者帮助你站起来(you'll have plenty of backers to help you get back up on your feet)。

5) If you want to lead, you must have strong emotional intelligence.
  如果你想领导别人,那就必须拥有强大的情商。

这是因为你在职场梯子 (corporate ladder) 上爬得越高,工作涉及到的就越不是你自己,而是你在自己周围安排的人员,以及你能不能领导并激励他人 (it is more about who you surround yourself with and about your ability to lead and motivate others)。没有谁什么都知道,所以依靠其他想法不同、掌握你可能不具备的技能的人员,对于在高级管理层里面成功与否就变得至关重要 (critical to being successful in senior management) 。

高管级别的领导人必须有自知之明,能够控制自己的情感 (must have self-awareness and an ability to keep their emotions in check)。他们必须先倾听再做反应。(They must listen before reacting.) 正如史蒂芬?柯维(Stephen Covey)建议的,“先去理解别人,然后再去让别人理解”。最重要的一点是,高管必须谨守道德,在同事当中赢得信任与尊重 (behave in a way that inspires trust and respect in those who work with them)。大家都想跟一位正直的、关心他人并舍得为他人付出的人共事 (someone with integrity, who cares about and invests in others

作者:戎仔 时间:2013-10-24 12:02:53
  我爱背单词,很好
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-24 13:20:27
  Hey Tina, good to see you again. How have you been?
  嗨,Tina,见到你真高兴,最近还好吗?

I've been well, thanks. Although recently work has been a little busy and stressful(adj.有压力的)! How have you been?
  谢谢,尽管最近工作上有点小忙,有些压力,不过总得来说还好,你呢?

I've been great. I'm just about to head to my Chinese class. OMG, there is so much gossip flying around in that place. It's unbelievable!
  我也还行,我要去上中文课了。天哪,现在真是谣言满天飞的时候,真是让人难以置信!

Really?? I love a bit of juicy gossip, fill me in....
  真的吗?我喜欢听一些有意思的传言,说给我听听吧!

Well...I shouldn't really say anything ,but rumor has it that Mark and Jane are an item now, can you believe it, I don't know how she managed to tame(v. 驯服) such a playboy like him?
  好吧,我也不知道是否应该说。听说马克和简是一对了!你相信吗?我都不知道她怎么驯服这个花花公子的.

He's with Jane. That's so unfair. Why do nice girls always fall for bad boys, I just don't get it!
  他和简?太不公平了吧!为什么好女孩都要跟坏男孩在一起?我真是不明白!

Well, you know what they say,' treat them mean, keep them keen' it always works!!
  好吧,你知道的,有句话是这么说的,“男人不坏,女人不爱”

Yea, he's a bit of snob but don't worry there are plenty of fish in the sea for you dude...!
  是的,他是个挺势利的人,不过你也别担心,天涯何处无芳草!

Thanks for the confidence boost, but I really wanted to ask her out for dinner, you know wine & dine her! I think she has such stunning eyes...ah man!!!!
  谢谢你的鼓励,我之前确实想约她出来吃饭的,用好酒好菜讨好她的。她的眼睛真得很迷人!天哪…

We'll maybe you should take the news with a pinch of salt Tony, apparently Mark is loaded, he comes from an affluent family so maybe she will just wait till he splashes out on her then she will leave...maybe she's a GOLDDIGGER!!
  好吧,这个消息你也别全信。很明显马克是个富二代,很有家底,也许她只是看中了这一点,就是想从马克那儿弄点钱,然后再甩掉他。说不定她就是个财迷呢!

Lol lol lol.....thanks Tina. I feel better already.
  哈哈,谢谢你,我心里舒服点了。

Let‘s go through some words and phrases:

Gossip: 流言蛮语;闲言碎语
  Unbelievable: 难以置信的
  Juicy gossip: 有趣有意思的谣言
  Fill sb in: 向某人解释…
  An item: 相当于couple, 一对情侣
  Treat them mean, keep them keen: 相当于中文里的“男人不坏,女人不爱”
  Tame: 驯服;驯化
  Look down on sb: 小看某人
  There are plenty of fish in the sea: 有很多选择,相当于中文里的“天涯何处无芳草”
  Take something with a pinch of salt .直译是‘和一撮盐吃下去’,意译则是‘姑且听着,不能尽信;不能太认真’
  Loaded/affluent: 相当于rich, 富有
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-26 08:10:36
  你说了算

集体行动的时候一般都需要有一个领袖式人物,为大家策划活动日程,决定细节安排等。其他人也都乐得清闲,遇到问题直接跟“头儿”说一句“你说了算”就万事大吉了。马上就周末了,赶快来学学,马上就能用哦~

1. You are the boss.
  你是老板(你说了算)。

2. You have the conn.
  你说了算。(conn, 掌舵)

3. You have the final say.
  你来拍板吧。(final say,最终决定权)

4. It's all up to you.
  全听你的了。

5. The final decision is yours.
  你做最后定夺吧。

6. You are in charge here.
  你是这里管事儿的。(in charge, 负责;主管)

7. You are the one who can call the tune here.
  在这里,你说了算。(call the tune, 定调子,也就是“有决定权”)

8. Who wears the trousers in your family? You or your wife?
  在你家里谁说了算,你还是你妻子?(wear the trousers, 掌握家权)

9. I am the decider of my family.
  在家里我说了算。(decider, 决定者,裁决者)

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-26 08:19:29
  【Hi-English特别关注】
  你有没有发现自己每天时间都不够用,常常需要熬夜加班,一周七天一点儿空余时间也没有?下面就是4个提高工作效率的技巧,付诸实践,你会发现你完全可以成为自己时间的主人!

1. Don’t Multitask不要同时处理很多任务

Multitasking is not a real thing. What you are really doing when you are (apparently) multitasking is going back and forth between two separate tasks. So rather than giving 100% to one task at a time you are going back and forth between tasks, giving each task a monumentally less amount of focus. This simply means that you end up doing both tasks at less than 100% — and you gain a whole lot of stress and tension.
  多任务处理一点都不现实。真实的情况是,当你进行多任务处理的时候,你要不断在两个单独的任务间往返。你不是把100%的注意力都集中到一项任务上,而是在各项任务中不断往返,每次只分给一项任务很少的注意力。这就意味着到最后这些任务也没法儿完全完成,你还给自己增加了很多压力和不安。

2. Break Things Down把事情分解

Okay…so imagine a really large meatball. Got it? Good. According to animal instincts, the best way to eat it is to put the entire thing in your mouth and chew. Do that and you will be chewing and swallowing for the next 10 minutes.
  好吧。想象一个很大的肉丸子。明白了吧?很好。按照动物的直觉,把肉丸吃掉的最好方法,是把它整个放到嘴里然后咀嚼。 要是这样的话,在接下来的10分钟里,你就会在那里一直咀嚼和吞咽。

This same rule applies to life. You are only able to handle so much at one time. If you try to take on a task too big all at once, you will only get clogged up and slowed down. But if you break it down into more manageable pieces, you'll find that you will be able to finish the task a lot faster.
  同样的原则也适应于生活。每次你只能处理那么多事情。如果你一次要做的任务太大,你就会卡住,速度放慢。但如果你把它分解成可以处理的小任务,你会发现,你能更快地完成它。

3. Prioritize Your Tasks为任务设立优先级别

You are craving a chocolate bar…or a client is waiting for your proposal. Which one is more important?
  你很想吃巧克力棒……或一个客户正在等待你的建议。哪件事更重要?

Unfortunately, thousands of people find themselves in similar situations every day. You have to learn to automatically prioritize things that are more important. This way rather than wasting energy and time, you will focus on these particular things and get them done faster. This will also make you more stress-free and will greatly boost your productivity.
  不幸的是,成千上万的人发现自己每天都有着这样相似的经历。你需要学着不假思索地为更重要的事情设定优先级。这样做不仅不会浪费精力和时间,而且会让你更加关注这些重要的事情,并能更快地做完。这样还会减轻你的压力,并能大大提升效率。

4. No Distractions去除干扰
  Have you ever wonder how much time you end up wasting by: checking emails; checking your cellphones; idly chatting with your colleagues; surfing the web.
  你是否曾想过你浪费了多少时间:查收电子邮件;查看手机;和同事悠闲地聊天;上网闲逛......

All of these things will make you very unproductive. So when it gets down to finally getting work done, turn off or remove all distractions. Just get rid of them.
  所有这些事情都会让你效率低下。所以要想最后能把工作做完,不要做这些干扰你的事情。摆脱这些习惯吧。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-26 08:23:59
  I think a sense of humour can help you deal with life's difficulties. As they say, 'laugh and the world laughs with you; cry, and you cry alone.'
  我认为幽默感可以在你处于困境的时候帮你一把。正如这句话所说的,“你笑,世界和你一起笑,你哭,就只能自己一人独自哭泣。

Here's a joke I heard recently:
  那么我就来讲讲最近听到的一则笑话吧。

A man visits a friend's house and is invited in to the living room. In the living room, there's a table, and on the table there is a game of chess. Next to the game of chess, there's a dog.
  一个人去拜访朋友,被邀请到客厅就坐。客厅里有一个桌子,桌上有一盘棋。棋盘的旁边蹲着一条狗。

'That's amazing,' he says. 'Your dog plays chess.'
  “真神奇”,客人说道,“你的狗竟然会下棋。”

'Yes,' replies the man. 'It is amazing, but it isn't so amazing: we've played six games and he has only beaten me twice.'
  “是的,”主人回答道。“是有点神奇,但是也没那么了不起:我们下6盘,它也就赢过我两次。”

This isn't the funniest joke in the world, but having a joke in mind and a sense of humour can help you stop taking life too seriously.
  虽然这个不是世界上最好笑的笑话。但是,脑海里面记着这么一则笑话,你的生活就不会太严肃太无趣哦!
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-30 08:11:20
  对白日梦大声说“没门儿”!

好友爱做白日梦?如何果断结束TA的痴心妄想?直截了当、大声告诉TA这个想法不可能,英文该怎么说呢?看看下面的表达,一口气能记下几个?

No way!
  没门儿!

Not a chance!
  休想!

Dream on.
  做梦吧。

Don't even think about it.
  想都别想。

Fat chance!
  不可能!

There is no way out.
  没办法了。

Not possible.
  不可能。

Forget it.
  别想了,不可能。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-30 08:17:41
  心词:The Meaning of Dreams 梦的解析

One night just before Valentine's Day,
  情人节的前一天晚上,

a woman had a lovely dream about a beautiful necklace.
  她梦见了一条美丽的项链。

When she woke up, she told her husband,
  她从梦里醒来,对她的丈夫说:

"I just dreamt that you gave me a pearl necklace for Valentine's day.
  我刚刚梦到情人节那天你送了我一条珍珠项链。

What do you think it could mean?"
  你觉得这意味着什么?

"You'll find out on Valentine's Day."
  你情人节这一天就会知道的。

He said with a knowing smile.
  他意味深长地笑了。

On Valentine's Day,
  情人节这一天,

the man gave his delighted wife a beautifully wrapped package.
  这个丈夫给了自己的妻子一个精致的包裹。

Excitedly, she opened it,
  她很高兴地打开了它,

only to find a book entitled "The Meaning of Dreams".
  只看到书的标题是: “梦的解析”。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-30 08:30:20

【英语万花筒】十大常见的噩梦透露着什么?
  作家兼广播主持人黛安-布兰森40多年来一直进行睡眠研究,她将成百上千个梦境进行了研究解析。布兰森认为,我们的潜意识是大部分梦境的源头,是我们身体的好盟友。下面是她总结的十个最常见的噩梦所代表的意义,看看是否解答了你的疑惑!

10. Having a disease or health emergency 梦到患某种疾病或遇到健康危机

This nightmare could reflect (v.反映;反射) a fear of an unknown thing suddenly having a negative impact on the dreamer’s life. It could also reflect an underlying (adj.潜在的) fear of illness. It could also express a fear of not being able to enjoy life or that there’s something wrong (“ill” or “rotten”) in one’s life。
  这个梦境通常反映的是做梦的人对突发未知事件的一种恐惧,害怕会对自己的生活产生消极影响。这还可以反映出对某一潜在疾病的恐惧,又或者表达的是对不能享受生活的担忧,或生活中出现了不如意的地方。

A nightmare about an illness could also be a way of telling the dreamer that he or she actually has an illness, even if consciously unaware (adj.没察觉到;没意识到) of it。
  关于疾病的噩梦,甚至可以告诉梦者他们的确患上了某种疾病,即使是在他们尚未察觉的情况下。

9. Being attacked or injured 梦到被打或受伤

This type of nightmare could reflect a fear of others, a fear of not fitting in (动词词组,相处融洽), a literal fear of violence, or a fear of being criticized by others. It’s important to take into account (动词词组,纳入考虑) the actual scenario and what’s going on in the dreamer’s life for meanings。
  这种噩梦表达的是害怕别人,害怕不合群,害怕暴力或害怕被批评。了解实际情况,知道做梦的人生活中发生了些什么,对了解梦境的含义十分重要。

8. Car trouble
  梦到车子出毛病

This nightmare can reflect a feeling of not being able to move forward in life or even of one’s life being out of control. Our car is frequently how we not only travel, but “get to places" in life. 这类噩梦反应的是实际生活中不能前进或是生活失去控制的感觉。车子反应的不仅仅是我们如何旅行,还有我们如何到达目的地。
  7. Drowning 梦到溺水

This nightmare could mean you feel overwhelmed or put out a lot of effort with no success or return. It could also simply represent a fear of water.
  这个噩梦可能表示你有挫败感,又或者辛辛苦苦付出努力却没有获得任何成功或回报。当然也能简单的表示你怕水。

6. Falling 梦到掉下来

Nightmares of falling could reflect a fear of heights, a fear of not being in control, a feeling of having nothing solid (adj.可靠的) to hold onto in life, or even a fear of death。
  坠落的噩梦可以反映恐高,对失去控制的恐惧以及一种生活中无所依靠的感觉,甚至是对死亡的恐惧。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-30 08:32:26

5. Teeth falling out 梦到掉牙

This nightmare generally means you feel out of control and powerless (adj.无力的;无权的). It can also reflect social embarrassment, fear of being unattractive, or fear of being revealed as inadequate (adj.不足的;不充分的). It would be important to consider what the dreamer was going through in life for more specific meanings。
  这类噩梦意味着你感觉失去控制或者无能为力。还能反映社交中的不如意,害怕不够吸引人,或害怕被人发现不够好。要想知道更多详细的含义,就需要了解梦者到底在现实生活中经历了什么。

4. Being lost梦到迷路

This nightmare may be worse for children than for adults, but both can have it。
  尽管大人小孩都会做这样的梦,但对于小孩来说,会更加严重一点。

For adults, it can mean that the dreamer does not feel in control in life or does not know what to do next or which direction to go into。
  对于大人,这梦就意味着梦者感觉生活不受控制,又或不知道接下来该干些什么,失去了方向感。

It can reveal (v.透露;揭露) a figurative (adj.比喻的;修饰丰富的) feeling of "not being able to find one’s way." It could also potentially reflect a feeling of not paying attention to or following directions。
  这也可有一层隐含之意,表达的是“没有能力找到自己的方向。” 这还有可能表达一种没有注意到或把握住方向的感觉。

3. Failing a test 梦到挂科

It can indicate that one feels unprepared or hasn’t done something correctly in life. It can also refer to feeling that one has to prove oneself and either doesn’t know how or feels inadequate。
  它表示人们感觉准备不足又或什么事做错了。这还能表示人们必须证明自己,却不知道如何证明或觉得不够格。

2. Being naked in public 梦到在公众场合裸体

This nightmare can often mean that the dreamer feels vulnerable (adj.脆弱的;易受攻击的) or exposed (adj.暴露的;无掩蔽的) in some way. It could also mean feeling isolated or ganged up on。
  这类梦意味着梦者感觉有些脆弱或暴露了自己。这还可能意味着梦者感觉被孤立或有人联合起来对付他。

1. Being chased 梦到被人追赶

This is often indicative of feeling overwhelmed (adj.受打击的), stressed (adj.紧张的;有压力的), that something being avoided is catching up with them, or not getting everything done in their lives。
  这通常意味着挫败感,压力,或逃避的事又来了,又或没有完成生活中的所有事。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-31 08:31:56
  吓死我了!

今天又是妖神鬼怪齐聚一堂鬼混瞎闹的万圣节了,为了迎合恐怖的节日气氛,今天,我们就来说说英语中是如何表达“吓死我了”这句话的。明晚的万圣P用上它们会更赞哦!

1. You scared me!
  你吓死我了!

2. I am freaked out!
  吓死我了!

3. I am frightened out of my wits!
  我的魂都被吓飞了!

4. That nearly scared me to death!
  我差点被吓死!

5. The spiders scared me stiff.
  蜘蛛把我吓坏了。

6. You did give me a good scare!
  你着实吓了我一跳。

7. That sudden scream in the middle of night scared the daylights out of me.
  半夜那突如其来的一声尖叫把我给吓得魂飞魄散。

8. What a scare you gave me, disappearing like that!
  你那样突然失踪,可真把我吓了一跳!

9. The ghost story frightened the pants off me.
  这个鬼故事把我吓得够呛。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-31 08:51:42
  :Halloween 万圣节
  主播外教:Andy (上海南方中心)

Andy: Are you going to go to Dave’s Halloween party?
  Andy: 你去参加Dave的万圣节派对吗?

Ashley: I hope so. If it’s half as good as last year’s party, then it should be a blast.
  Ashley: 我准备去的。如果能像去年一样好,那肯定就大受欢迎了。

Andy: So what are you going to dress up as?
  Andy: 那你打算装扮成什么呢?

Ashley: I haven’t decided yet. Have you?
  Ashley: 我暂时还没决定。你呢?

Andy: I think I’m going to go as Batman.
  Andy: 我想我会装扮成蝙蝠侠。

Ashley: Yeah, Batman would be a cool costume.
  Ashley: 嗯,蝙蝠侠的服装很酷。

Andy: Hey, I’ve got an idea. Why don’t you dress up as Catwoman?
  Andy: 嘿!我有个好主意。你何不装扮成猫女呢?

Ashley: Catwoman?
  Ashley: 猫女?

Andy: Yeah, she’s in the new Batman movie.
  Andy: 是啊,最新的一部电影里就有猫女。

Ashley: Where can I find the costume?
  Ashley: 那我从哪儿去弄猫女的服装呢?

Andy: I think we can find it online or go to a Halloween store. Catwoman is a pretty popular costume, so I’m sure we can find it.
  Andy: 我想我们可以在网上或去万圣节商店买。猫女的服装这么受欢迎,我们肯定会找到的。

Ashley: Ok! I’m going to be Catwoman for Halloween.
  Ashley: 好!那我就装扮成猫女啦。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-10-31 08:58:03
  8条知识为万圣节扫盲
  只顾过节不顾了解?万圣节是哪一天?名字是怎么来的?起源是什么?都有哪些节日习俗和庆祝活动?有什么标志性的人和物?必备的食物有什么?赶紧来看看下面的内容,给自己扫扫盲吧!

1. Halloween or Hallowe’en is a yearly celebration observed in a number of countries on Oct. 31, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows’ Day.
  万圣节是于西方基督教圣徒日前夜10月31日庆祝的一个节日。

2. The name Halloween comes from a contraction of All Hallows Eve (Evening), the day before All Hallows Day. It was originally celebrated to honor the dead.
  Halloween就是All Hallows’ Eve的缩写,All Hallows Eve 是All Hallows Day (圣徒日)的前一天晚上,这个节日起初是用来纪念死者的。

3. Dressing up in costumes is one of the most popular Halloween customs, especially among children. According to traditions, people would dress up in costumes (wear special clothing, masks or disguises) to frighten the spirits away.
  Dressing up in costumes是最受欢迎的万圣节风俗之一,尤其受孩子们的欢迎。按照传统习俗,人们会dress up in costumes(穿戴一些特別的服裝,面具或者装饰)来吓跑鬼魂。

4. Popular Halloween costumes include vampires (creatures that drink blood), zombies, witches, centaurs, ghosts (spirits of the dead) and werewolves (people that turn into wolves when the moon is full).
  流行的万圣节装扮包括vampires(吸血鬼),zombies (僵尸),witches (女巫),centaurs(半人马),elves (精灵),ghosts(亡魂)和werewolves(每当月圆时就变成狼的狼人)。

5. Trick or Treat is a modern Halloween custom where children go from house to house dressed in costume, asking for treats like candy or toys. If they don't get any treats, they might play a trick (mischief or prank) on the owners of the house.
  Trick or Treat 是现代万圣节的风俗,孩子们穿着千奇百怪的化妆服走街串巷,讨取糖果和玩具之类的赏赐。如果他们得不到任何的赏赐,就可能会对屋主大搞恶作剧或者胡闹了。

6. The tradition of the Jack o' Lantern comes from a folktale about a man named Jack who tricked the devil and had to wander the Earth with a lantern. The Jack o' Lantern is made by placing a candle inside a hollowed-out pumpkin, which is carved to look like a face.
  Jack o' Lantern 的传统来自一个民间传说。一个名叫Jack的人戏弄了恶魔,之后就不得不提着一盏灯在地球上流浪。Jack o' Lantern是用雕刻成脸型,中间挖空,再插上蜡烛的南瓜做成的。

7. Typical festive Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, attending costume parties, carving pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns, lighting bonfires, apple bobbing, visiting haunted attractions, playing pranks, telling scary stories, and watching horror films.
  万圣节常见的庆祝活动有trick-or-treating (不款待就捣乱)、参加化妆舞会、雕刻南瓜灯、点燃篝火、咬苹果、参观闹鬼旅游胜地(即类似鬼屋等用来吓人的娱乐场所)、讲鬼故事、观看恐怖电影。

8. List of food associated with Halloween:
  万圣节相关食物:

Barmbrack (Ireland) 葡萄干面包
  Bonfire toffee (Great Britain) 太妃糖
  Monkey nuts (peanuts in their shells) (Scotland and Ireland) 落花生
  Caramel apples 焦糖苹果
  Caramel corn 焦糖玉米
  Colcannon (Ireland; see below) 马铃薯卷心菜泥
  Novelty candy shaped like skulls, pumpkins, bats, etc.
  骨头、南瓜、蝙蝠等奇形怪状的糖果
  Pumpkin, pumpkin pie, roasted pumpkin seeds 南瓜、南瓜派、烤南瓜子
  Roasted sweet corn 烤玉米
  Soul cakes 小圆面包/蛋糕
  Scary Faced Pizza 外形恐怖的披萨

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-02 08:02:34
  社交必用英语

想和外国人交朋友但苦于英语太差,每次只能看着别人一口流利的英语和外国人在那儿得意地畅谈?别郁闷,小编今天给大家整理了一些最最常用的社交口语,赶快来充充电恶补下吧!如果觉得不够,不用担心,继续关注Hi-English,小编会在以后给大家送上更多精彩的内容哦~

初次见面打招呼:
  Nice to meet you. May I have your name?
  很高兴认识你。请问你的名字是?

跟熟人打招呼:
  How are you doing? 你好吗?
  How have you been? 近来如何?

跟上级或长辈打招呼:
  Good morning, Sir/Madam. 早上好,先生/女士。
  Hello, Mr James, how are you? 嗨,James先生,你好吗?

正式邀请:
  Would you like a game of tennis?/Would you like to go to the cinema?
  你想去打网球吗?/你想去看电影吗?

非正式邀请:
  Have you got time to visit the photographic exhibition?
  有时间去参观下摄影展览吗?

Fancy going shopping this weekend?
  周末去逛街怎么样?

接受或拒绝邀请:
  Thanks for your invitation./It’s nice of you to invite me.
  谢谢你的邀请。/多谢你的好意邀请。

I’d love to, but I can’t./ That sounds great l but I’m tied up.
  我很乐意去但我去不了。/听起来真不错,但很抱歉我有事缠身。

表示感谢并道别:
  Thank you again for your invitation. I’ve had a wonderful evening/time.
  再次感谢你的邀请。我今晚/今天过得很开心。

聚会结束后提供帮助:
  Shall I call a taxi? /Let me call a taxi. 我来叫辆的士吧

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-02 08:08:34
  Look
  【英语万花筒】和美国人侃啥?
  怎样和美国人打开话匣,拉近距离?和他们交谈时该注意些什么?要去美国留学、居住或者想与美国人交朋友的童鞋们赶紧看过来!小编特意为大家收集了一些美国人所乐于交谈及忌讳谈到的话题,希望能帮到大家哦~

1. Talk about locations: Americans love to talk about locations. When speaking to a stranger, ask them where they are from and then make a connection (n.联系) with that place .For example:"Oh, I have a friend who studied in Los Angeles. He says it's a beautiful place to live."Most Americans will then willingly (adv.欣然地;乐意地) talk about their experiences living or visiting that particular city or area.
  谈论地点:美国人喜欢谈论地点。和陌生人说话的时候,可以问问他们从哪里来然后找到自己跟那个地方的联系。比如可以说:“啊,我有个朋友在洛杉矶学习,他说那地方很漂亮。”这时大部分美国人就会很愿意谈起他们在那个特殊城市或区域学习游览过的经历。

2. Talk about work: Americans commonly ask “What do you do”. It’s not considered impolite (as in some countries) and is a popular topic of discussion between strangers.
  谈论工作:美国人通常会问“What do you do-”在某些国家会被认为这是不礼貌的,但美国不是的,是陌生人之间聊天的一个流行话题。

3. Talk about sports: Americans love sports! However, they love American sports. When speaking about football, most Americans understand" American Football", not soccer.
  谈论运动:美国人超爱运动!不过,他们喜欢美国的运动。如果说到football,大部分美国人会理解成橄榄球而不是足球。

4. Be careful when expressing (v.表达) ideas about race, religion, politics or other sensitive topics: The United States is a multi-cultural society. Talking about sensitive topics like religion, belief or politics, is often avoided (v.避免) in order to be sure not to offend someone of a different belief system. This is often referred to as being “politically correct".
  说到种族、宗教、政治或者其他敏感话题要小心:美国是一个多文化的社会。像宗教、信仰或政治之类的敏感话题通常都不会在谈话中提及,以免冒犯别人。这就是经常被提到的“政治正确”。

5. Don't hold hands: Same sex friends do not usually hold hands or put their arms around each other in public in the United States.
  别拉手:在美国,同性朋友们在公共场合不太会手拉手或者挽住对方的胳膊。

6. Smoking is Out!! Smoking, especially in public places, is strongly disapproved of (disapprove of 动词词组,不赞成) by most Americans in the modern United States.
  吸烟很老土!!在当代美国,吸烟,尤其是在公共场合吸烟,是非常不被大众接受的行为。

作者:sergemakofo 时间:2013-11-02 08:54:17
  nice
作者:bofumanbofuman 时间:2013-11-02 11:51:53
  Mark

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-06 08:07:05
  如何提出礼貌请求?

工作中难免会有需要请人帮忙的时候,除了语气和神态外,措辞是非常重要的,那怎样提出请求才算礼貌呢?今天我们就来学学吧!

提到请某人做某事,大家第一反应可能都是用please, 但事实上只用please反而有点命令的感觉在里面,远没有用could和would相关的表达好,如Could you…please? I’m wondering if you could… Could you possibly…? Would you be able to…? Would you mind…? 等都是非常礼貌的表达,用这样的句式来提出请求,对方一定不忍心拒绝你的诚意。接着来看看例句吧!

I was wondering if you could do something for me...
  不知你能否帮个忙...

Would you be able to print out a file for me?
  不知你能不能帮我打印一份材料?

Could I have it within ten minutes please?
  请在十分钟之内给我好吗?

Could you possibly help me with the printer?
  你能帮我查看一下这个打印机出了什么问题吗?

Would you mind writing your email later?
  你不介意等一会儿再写你的电子邮件吧

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-06 08:13:05
  树立高管级自信的10种方法
  从企业的中层小主管晋升到核心管理层,这个过程需要适度的自信来助力。高层管理者必须能够做出一些关键且影响范围广泛的决策,决策过程中所掌握的信息以及所拥有的时间往往有限,而且之后他们还必须能够说服他人来执行这些决策,所有这些,自信是必备之物。不够自信也没关系,因为自信就像职业技能一样可以后天习得。以下10个方法可以帮助你获得自信、晋升高层:

1. When in doubt, act.
  1. 犹豫不决时,放手去做。

这是流动的活水与一潭死水的区别。当你无所作为时,怀疑和不安全感会如蚊子一般滋生。戴尔?卡耐基(Dale Carnegie)曾写过这样一段话:“无为滋生疑虑和恐惧。行动孕育自信和勇气。”对失败的担心会让我们无法行动,因为我们总将后果估计得过为严重。让我们通过采取行动来建立自信吧,经常为之,自信弥坚。

2. Do something outside your comfort zone each day.
  2. 每天做一些超越自己舒适区的事情。

如果我们不主动拓展我们的舒适区,那么它会变得越来越狭窄。经常挑战并改善自己,你在接触新鲜事物时就会变得更自如,而且这样你将为自己打造出一个勇于承担风险的形象(这个形象存在于你自己的心目中,也存在于他人眼中)。每一件你尝试过的新鲜事物都会为你的知识和技能库增添内容,成为你能力的源泉。这是任何一个成功职业生涯所必备的基石。

3. Put the focus on others.
  3. 多关心他人。

选择关注他人,而非只关心自己。多向他人提问。将对话变成一场游戏,你可以从中试图找到与对方的联系。毫不吝啬地赞美他人,并在力所能及时主动提供帮助。总是去寻找别人的长处,这会帮助你找到自己的优点。

4. Cultivate mentors.
  4. 结交良师益友。

来自这些人的建议以及与他们的交往是无价之宝,此外,借助他们对于优缺点的客观评价,你能够在机遇面前做出更好的决策。而且,一旦知道自己在摔倒时会有支持者愿意伸出援手来拉你一把,你便会更愿意承担风险。

5. Keep self-talk positive.
  5. 同自我对话时,保持积极态度。

如果有人总在打击你,你很难感到自信。而如果这个打击者是你自己,那么实现自信根本是不可能的。小心对待你与自己的对话。你与朋友对话时也会用同样的方式吗?如果不是,那么就改变一下与自己对话的方式吧。

6. Eliminate negative people from your network.
  6. 将消极者从你的社交网络中清除。

在职业道路以及个人的成长道路中,你绝对需要去主动寻找并虚心接受那些建设性的批评。但是你要认识到,有些人永远不会对你或是对生活感到满意,而要说服这些人相信你的价值所在,根本就是在浪费时间。而且这些人对于生活的消极看法是具传染性的。要学会尽快辨识出这些人,然后继续走你的路。

7. Take care of your health.
  7. 保重身体。

腾出时间来多做运动、充分休息。身体健康,才能接受挑战。

8. Do your homework.
  8. 做好准备功课。

随时了解你所在行业的最新资讯,了解你所在的公司,以及内部和外部的各个部门。如果你眼前面临一项具挑战性的工作,做好准备,并在脑子里做好演习。没有什么比知识和准备能更好地树立自信了。

9. Watch your body language.
  9. 注意你的肢体语言。

你的姿态和整体外观会影响到你的精神状态,也会影响到他人对你的印象(以及对你的回应方式)。如果你想成为领导,那么你必须一言一行都像一位领导。站姿坐姿都保持笔直,要有眼神交流,还要记得微笑。穿你所在行业的职业装,别做那些会显示你内心紧张的小动作:过多的扭动、封闭式的姿势(如双臂抱胸、翘二郎腿、蜷背等)。

10. Practice gratitude daily.
  10. 每天练习感恩。

在最近一项有关成功人士每天第一个小时用来做些什么的研究中,排在第一位的回答是,将时间用来想那些他们最感激的事情。每天从对那些生命中最美好事物的感恩开始,这样你更有可能会以恰当的视角来看待这一天即将到来的挑战。

与公众演讲或是领导能力一样,自信也是一项可以改善的职业技能。正如乔治亚摄政大学(Georgia Regents University)的彼得?巴克利(Peter Buckley)博士所说,“随着你经验的增加,你的自信会越来越强,而自信之人将获得新的经验。”从今天开始增强你的自信吧

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-06 08:21:56
  核心词:set goals 设定目标
  主播外教:Gcobani (上海浦东中心)

Personal Goal setting is a powerful process for thinking about your ideal future, and for motivating(v.激励) yourself to turn your vision into a reality.
  对于考虑你的完美未来,并且激励自己将对未来的美好愿景变为现实来说,设定目标是个强大的过程。

The process of setting goals helps you to choose where you want to go in life. By knowing precisely(adv.精确地) what you want to achieve, you know where you have to concentrate(v.集中) your efforts. You'll also quickly spot the distractions that would otherwise lure you from your course.
  设定目标的这个过程能帮你选择你要过怎样的生活。明确了你要实现的目标,你就知道该将你的注意力放在哪里。当一些干扰诱惑因素出现时,你能很快地发现它们。

More than this, properly-set goals can be incredibly motivating, and as you get into the habit of (养成...的习惯) setting and achieving your goals, you'll find that your self-confidence builds fast.
  不只如此,准确设定的目标有很强的激励作用,当你养成设定和完成目标的习惯时,你会发现你能很快建立自信心。

Achieving Focus(n.专注力)专注力让你收获更多

Goal setting techniques are used by top-level athletes, successful business-people and achievers in all fields. They give you long-term vision and short-term motivation. They focus your acquisition(n.获得) of knowledge, and help you to recognize and organize your time and your resources so that you can make the very most of your life.
  设定目标的方法在顶级运动员、成功商业人士和各领域有成就的人中被广泛使用。长期来看,它们会拓宽你的视野;短期来看,它们会让你充满动力。它们促使你专注于知识的获取,时间和资源的识别和重组,由此最大限度地挖掘生活的魅力。

By setting sharp, clearly defined goals, you can measure and take pride in (以…为傲) the achievement of those goals. You can see forward progress in what might previously have seemed a long pointless grind (n.苦力,苦差). By setting goals, you will also raise your confidence, as you recognize your ability and competence in achieving the goals that you have set.
  通过设定清晰明确的目标,你可以对自己完成目标的情况进行衡量,并以完成目标为傲。你可以预见到你所取得的进步,而之前你或许只是把它看作一件毫无意义的苦差事。通过设定目标,当你在完成目标的进程中认识到自己的能力和优势时,自信心会大大提升
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-08 08:38:55
  kick one’s ass 和kick ass, 拎得清伐?

别看kick one’s ass 和kick ass长得像,意思可大不一样!一个是发怒时的常用语,一个是拍马屁时会蹦出嘴的词儿。看看下面的例句你就懂了!

Kick one’s ass 痛扁某人;狂胜某人

One more word and I’ll kick your ass.
  你再说一个字我就揍你!

Don’t play basketball with him. He’ll kick your ass.
  别和他打篮球,他会狂虐你的。

Kick ass 牛逼

You really kick ass, man.
  哥们,你真牛!

That’s a kick-ass party.
  这派对实在是牛逼

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-08 08:41:58

有时候,人就是爱拿自己的错误惩罚自己,此猪非彼猪,为何那个男的就以为是在骂他呢?

A man is driving up a steep, narrow mountain road. A woman is driving down the same road. As they pass each other, the woman leans out of the window and yells "PIG!!" The man immediately leans out of his window and replies, "WITCH"! They each continue on their way, and as the man rounds the next corner, he crashes into a pig in the middle of the road. If only men would listen.
  一个男人在一条陡峭狭窄的山路上驾车,一个女人相向驾车而来。他们相遇时,那个女的从车中伸出头来喊道:“猪!!”那个男的立即从车中伸出头来回敬道:“女巫!!”他们继续前行。这个男的在下一个路口转弯时,撞上了路中间的一头猪。男人要是愿意听话就好了。(要是这个男的能听懂那个女人的意思就好了。)

英语生词:

1. steep (adj.) 陡峭的,峻峭的,险峻的
  2. lean out of 身体探出
  3. witch 女巫
  4. crash into sth 撞到某物
  5. round 绕行

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-08 08:44:15

核心词:crab 螃蟹
  主播外教:Nick (上海徐汇中心)

A male crab met a female crab and asked her to marry him.
  一只公螃蟹遇到一只母螃蟹,于是请对方嫁给他。

She noticed that he was walking straight instead of sideways.
  母螃蟹注意到公螃蟹竟然是直着走而不是横着走路的。

Wow, she thought, this crab is really special.
  “哇哦,”她想,“这只螃蟹酷毙了。”

I can't let him get away.
  我不会让他逃离我的手掌心的。

So they got married immediately.
  于是他们立刻结婚了。

The next day she noticed her new husband walking sideways like all the other crabs,
  第二天,她注意到自己的新婚丈夫跟其他螃蟹一样都是横着走路的。

and got upset.
  于是她心里忐忑了。

"What happened?" she asked."
  “发生了什么事?”螃蟹妻子问道。

“You used to walk straight before we were married."
  “结婚前你不是竖着走路的吗?”

"Oh, honey," he replied, "I can't drink that much every day."
  “噢,亲爱的”,螃蟹丈夫说道,“我不可能每天都喝那么多酒哇。”

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-08 15:55:39
  如何赞美他人“气色好”?

又到了周末品尝健康美食、锻炼强健体魄的时候了,那我们就来讲两个表达身体很健康和精力很充沛的常用语吧!

第一个习语是in the pink,指的是一个人脸色看上去白里透红,气色很好,身体很健康。这个习惯用语的出处说法各有不同。有的人说,in the pink这个俗语可能来自跑马场,因为在那里,人们用in the pink形容那些看起来很健壮的马。但是,也有人认为凡是身体健康的人,他们的皮肤都会呈现一种粉色的光泽,白里透红。这些人说in the pink这个说法就是从这儿来的。我们来举两个例子吧:

例句1 "Our next door neighbor came back from the hospital yesterday after his heart attack. And I'm glad to say he certainly looks back in the pink again."
  "我们隔壁的邻居心脏病发作进了医院,昨天他出院回家了。令人高兴的是,他气色看起来和平时一样好,看起来已经恢复健康了。"

例句2 "It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do for a man. I thought I was getting a cold yesterday so I went to bed a couple of hours early and I really feel in the pink now."
  "真是不可思议,晚上睡一个好觉居然有这么好的效果!我昨天以为自己感冒了,所以比平时早两个小时就上床了,现在我感到精神百倍啊!"

除了in the pink,还可以用另一个习惯用语来表达这个意思:fit as a fiddle。
  Fit是身体健康的意思,fiddle是类似小提琴的乐器。 要是一个人说他fit as a fiddle,那就好比是一把琴的弦和音调都调得很好。请听下面这位年轻人谈谈他是怎样保持健康的:

例句3 "I think my health is important, so I don't smoke or drink. I eat lots of vegetables and fruits, and I exercise three times a week. These things help to keep me fit as a fiddle."
  "在我看来,身体健康是非常重要的。所以,我不抽烟,也不喝酒。我吃很多蔬菜和水果。每个星期,我还锻炼三次。这些都让我得以保持身体健康。"

美国人现在的寿命越来越长,下面就是一个人在说他的祖父:
  例句4 "My grandfather looks like he's sixty but he's really eighty years old and fit as a fiddle: he still has his own teeth, doesn't need glasses, and walks four miles every day."
  "我的祖父看起来像一个六十多岁的人。可实际上,他已经八十岁了。他的身体非常健康:他不用戴假牙,看东西也不用眼镜,每天坚持慢走四英里路

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-08 16:00:09
  如何养成长期锻炼的习惯呢?持之以恒是非常关键的。下文就给出了一些小贴士,有助于让锻炼成为伴随你一生的好习惯:
  1. Get out early. Research shows that people who exercise once they get up in the morning are most consistent. Nothing except your alarm clock gets in the way-not a traffic jam or a happy hour gathering.
  1.早点起床。研究表明一早起来就去锻炼的人更能持之以恒。除了闹钟之外,任何其他事情都不会影响到你,如交通堵塞或欢乐的聚会。

2. Be realistic. Set small, achievable goals at first. If you are new to exercise, plan to work out three times a week. Then move to every other day. As you progress you may build up to a 5-day (or more) weekly routine.
  2.实际一点。设定小的、能够实现的目标。如果你在锻炼方面还欠缺经验,那可以先制定一个一周锻炼三次的行动计划。然后再把它推而广之至每一天。长时间下来,你就会养成一周五天甚至更频繁锻炼的习惯。

3. Have a specific plan before you start. You'll want to build in a variety of workouts to keep things fresh (for example, strength one day, cardio the next) but the trick is planning ahead. Every Sunday night, map out your week of workouts and stick with it like it's a doctor's prescription. Your plan can even be as simple as "Mon: Walk 30 min., Wed: Walk 30 min. plus 15 min. push-ups and sit-ups."
  3.在开始行动之前,要制定一个具体的方案。为了保持新鲜感,你可以选择不同的方式去锻炼身体(如,今天锻炼力量,明天就去做有氧运动),其中的要诀就是提前做好计划。每个周日晚上,抽出时间制定好下一周的锻炼计划,并且要像遵从医生的处方那样遵循这个计划。你的计划甚至可以这样简洁地列出:“周一:散步30分钟;周三:散步30分钟,再加15分钟的俯卧撑与仰卧起坐。”

4. Find someone to keep you accountable. This can be a workout buddy or a personal trainer. Either way, pair up with someone who is inspiring and reliable.
  4.找个人来监督你。对方可以是跟你一起去锻炼的伙伴,也可以是你的私人教练。不管怎样,你要找一个能够鼓励你并且可靠的伙伴。

5. Set goals and keep track of your progress. Maybe your goal is to lose weight or run 5 miles. It could also be as simple as "exercise every other day for a month." Seeing progress will keep you motivated and consistent.
  5.设定目标,然后跟进计划。也许你的目标是减肥或跑5英里,那你的目标就可以非常简单地设定为“坚持做一个月”。进步会让你保持动力与恒心。

6. Find inspiration or distraction. If exercise goals don't engage you, pick a favorite diversion and build that into your exercise routine. Listen to music, watch TV or read a magazine while you exercise.
  6.发掘能够鼓舞你或使你分心的事物。要是你对一个锻炼计划没什么强烈的兴趣,那你就可以把你所喜爱的事情融入到你的锻炼过程中,借此转移注意力,如听音乐、看电视,或阅读杂志。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-08 16:08:27

STEVE: I'm going over to the gym. I want to do some running.

JOSEPH: Why don't you run outside?

STEVE: Are you kidding? Do you know how cold it is today?

JOSEPH: Yeah, I suppose. I guess it isn't healthy to run in this weather.

STEVE: No, it's not. Not at all. I'd probably freeze my lungs(n.肺).

JOSEPH: Wait for me a minute. I'll go over to the gym too.

STEVE: You?

JOSEPH: Yes, why not? Just let me get my gym clothes(n.健身衣) together.

STEVE: I didn't know you could exercise.

JOSEPH: What do you mean by that? Everyone can exercise!

STEVE: Yeah, I know. But you? I always thought you were only good at lifting beer bottles to your mouth.

JOSEPH: No, not at all. I was on the swimming team in high school. And I'd like to do some weight training (n.举重训练). They have decent equipment at that gym.

STEVE: You're going to lift weights? Hah!

JOSEPH: Are you laughing at me?

STEVE: I'm sorry. I just can't imagine you lifting weights.

JOSEPH: Maybe not. But I want to start. I need to get in shape. I feel these past couple months that my energy is low.

STEVE: It's true. If a person doesn't exercise, they get sluggish (adj.懒散的). That's why I keep running. Even in the winter.

JOSEPH: Well, then maybe I need to change my character, don't I? I don't want to become a fat slob (n.胖人).

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-13 08:11:30
  如何赞扬出色的工作?

如果你是普通员工,你得学习欣赏同事出色的工作,如果你是管理者甚至老板,更要懂得如何赞扬下属的突出表现,让他更身心愉悦地投入工作。下面三句表达赶紧收了吧!

Well done.
  好样的!

You were in a difficult situation and you handled it well.
  虽然你当时处于困境,但是处理得特别好。

Great job. I'm really impressed.
  干得好!我很欣赏。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-13 08:21:10
  【英语万花筒】工作中5种最费劲的沟通
  工作中总有一些比较耗脑细胞的沟通,怎么有效地去完成呢?快来看看下面这篇文章给大家总结的5大工作费劲沟通及应对之道吧!

1. 'I want a raise' “我想加薪”

畅销书《关键对话:高效沟通的技巧》(Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High)一书的作者约瑟夫?格雷尼指出,争取更好的待遇或者津贴不应该威胁到一个人的工作,但前提是你要采用正确的方法——特别是在得到赏识的时候 (Lobbying 【动词,游说】for a better salary or perks shouldn't jeopardize 【动词,危害】 your career, though, if you do it the right way -- especially if you're a valued employee)。

那么得偿所愿的关键是什么呢?格雷尼的建议是,忠于事实 (stick to the facts)。

"First, research salary data online to find out what other people get paid for jobs like yours in your geographic area," he says. "Then, be ready to give solid evidence for why your performance merits more money."
  他说:“首先,上网研究一下薪酬情况,弄清楚本地区和自己从事类似工作的人拿多少工资。然后,准备有力的证据来说明为什么你的工作表现值得加薪。”

格雷尼还建议,不管做什么,都不要说自己出于个人原因而需要提高工资(无论有多么紧急)。他说,为了让公司高层更容易接受你的观点,“你要让老板觉得这是他在了解情况后做出的商业决策,而不是在搞慈善捐款。”

2. 'My performance review was unfair' “我的业绩考核不公正”

他指出,如果人事档案中的考评结果为一般(或者更差),那就可能不公正地妨碍你在今后的工作中得到更好的机会。因此,“你需要冷静地说明”,你认为哪些评价或批评并不公允。 (you need to calmly set the record straight" (对…做出正确陈述) about specific comments (名词,评论) or complaints (名词,抱怨) you believe are inaccurate (名词,不正确)

同时,你要请上司详细说明他(她)对你有什么样的要求 (what he or she needs from you)。格雷尼说,要设法弄清楚上司如何定义出色地完成工作 (how this manager defines a job well done),还要准备好多听少说。

3. 'Something shady (or illegal) is going on' “有人正在做可疑(或者非法)的事”

如果你发现自己的公司里出现了不端行为,你能做些什么呢?对老板守口如瓶有可能让你背上和坏人串通一气的罪名,检举揭发则可能让别人认为你“不可共事”,这个标签同样可怕。

格雷尼建议:“首先你要说明自己是出于善意,同时强调你考虑的是老板的最佳利益。然后解释一下,你认为如果这样的行为继续下去会产生什么样的不利影响” ("Start the conversation by sharing your good intentions 好意 and stressing 强调that you have the boss's best interest in mind," Grenny suggests. "Explain the negative consequences you think will follow if the behavior continues.") 毕竟,人们都知道蒙蔽客户、欺骗投资者以及其他不诚信的行为能毁掉一家公司,进而造成数千人瞬间失业。

如果上司对你担心的问题不屑一顾(“我们一直这么干”),甚至对你表示不满(说声再见,然后起身离开),那就把你发现的问题报告给更高层的管理者 (take your concerns upstairs)。

格雷尼说:“在这种情况下,找你老板的老板是恰当的做法。不过,这会让你显得不服从直接上司的指挥,所以建议你们三个人面对面地谈一谈。” 如果问题似乎一直牵连到公司最高层,那该怎么办?这种情况下,你最好另谋高就。

4. 'I'm not getting what I need to do the job' “我没有得到完成工作所需要的支持”

面对过时的设备、陈旧的软件、缺乏条理的文件和不切实际的截止期限,或者一直缺乏技术熟练的支持性人员,高效地开展工作就会变得难得多。但格雷尼认为,就算已经忍无可忍,也不要贸然闯进老板的办公室。相反,要安排一次会面。还要记住的一点是,几乎可以肯定,老板本人并不打算让你陷入这种糟糕的境地。

格雷尼建议:要以疑问的态度开始这场对话,而不是愤怒。他说,相反,要冷静地说明你所需要的支持和你得到的支持之间有什么样的差距。(calmly describe the gap (名词;差距) between the support you need and the support you're getting)

格雷尼指出:解释一下你感到担心的原因,要把重点放在你们共同的目标上。("Explain why you're concerned, with emphasis on your common goals) 接下来,主动交流。你的老板可能从另一个角度来看待这个问题。如果你对别人的观点持开放态度,他们也会更容易接受你的观点。”

5. 'Your strategy is ridiculous' “你的策略很可笑”

你是否有过这样的想法:“要是由我来负责,我们就会朝着截然不同的方向努力……”当然,最安全的做法是把这种想法完全留在心里。格雷尼指出,如果你的公司文化鼓励通过辩论达成共识,以尊重的态度提出不同意见会带来回报。但一定要让别人明白,你这样做是出于善意。

他说:要充分表明,你提出的不同观点可能有用,而绝不是要挖老板的墙角。(far from trying to undermine 【破坏;挖地基】your boss, you're offering a different viewpoint that might help)

格雷尼认为,怎么说比说什么更重要。所以态度要温和,还要问许多问题。用事实来说明你为什么认为某项计划不会奏效,而且要向老板表明,你的目的是帮助整个团队取得成功。 他指出,得体地就现状提出不同意见能体现出你的关切之情。这样,“你的开诚布公就可能让老板的态度变得更加坦诚。”

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-13 08:31:40

- Hello Jenny. I want to know if you are on duty tomorrow.
  - 你好,詹妮。我想知道你明天是不是上班。

- No. Do you want me to cover for you again?
  - 不上。你又想让我替你班?

- Yeah. You know I came down with flu(得感冒了). My doctor strongly suggested that I go to see him tomorrow.
  - 是的。你知道我感冒了。医生强烈建议我明天去看一下。

- I was planning to lay around(lie around 无所事事) the house all day. But, now that you asked….OK, tell me everything I need to do tomorrow.
  - 我打算明天在家好好歇一歇的。但是,既然你问我了…好吧,告诉我明天你要做的事情。

- Please give this report to the president and finish typing these. Is that OK?
  - 请把这份报告交给总裁,然后把这些打完。可以吗?

- OK. We are all done here. Let’s call it a day.
  - 好。交代完了,我们今天就到此结束吧!

- You go first. I would like to lock the door. Jenny, I owe it to you. This weekend I’d like to invite you to dinner.
  - 你先走吧。我还要锁门,詹妮,我欠你一份人情。这周末我请你吃饭。

- I’m really looking forward to it.
  - 我很期待。

Let’s go over some phrases now. 让我们一起来回顾一下实用短语吧!

on duty 上班,值班
  come down with...... 染病
  call it a day 收工;到此为止
  owe sth to sb 欠某人某物

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-19 08:18:29
  实用电话英语

电话往来是外企办公的一部分。得体娴熟的英文会大大促进你的工作哦!今天我们就一起来学几个非常实用的句子。

1. XX Corporation. May I help you?
  这里是XX公司,我能帮你什么吗?

这句话算是制式的讲法。一般接起电话的人通常会先报公司的名字 XX Corporation, 然后再说May I help you? 如果要更客气一点的话则可以说 How can I help you? (我该怎么帮你?)。

2. And you are?
  请问您是?

这句话用来确定打电话来的是谁。最客气的问法是Whom am I speaking with? 或是 Whom am I talking to?(我正在跟谁讲话呢?)

3. I’ll put her on the phone. Just a second.
  我会请她听电话, 请等一下。

上面讲的 put someone on the phone, 指的多半是只有一部电话时, 但如果公司里有许多分机,则用转接transfer 或是 redirect会比较恰当,可以说I’m transferring your call. 或是 I’m redirecting your call. (我帮你转接她的分机。)

4. Would you mind holding for one minute?
  你介不介意稍微等一分钟啊?

如果万不得已要让对方等候,记得要给一个明确的时间, 例如 one second 或是 five minutes 不要让对方无止境地等下去。但是如果一分钟到了你还没忙完, 则最好再说一次, Sorry, I am still on the phone. Could you hold for another minute? (对不起, 我还在, 能不能再请你稍候一分钟。)

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-19 08:20:38
  如何得体接电话
  亲爱的童鞋们,是不是觉得要做个电话高手光掌握上面的内容还不够?不用担心,接下来小编会给大家分享更多更全面的电话英语,加把劲继续给自己充充电,准备练好后一鸣惊人吧!

开场白
  Good morning. This is Web International English. May I help you?
  早上好。这里是韦博国际英语。有什么需要帮忙吗?

Hello. Education Department. This is Jane speaking.
  您好。这里是教学部。我是简。

问对方是谁/要找谁
  Who do you want to talk/speak to? 请问找哪位?
  May I ask who’s calling, please? 请问您是哪位?

让他人接听电话
  Can I have extension ...? 能帮我转接分机…吗?
  Could/May I speak to …? 我能和...通话吗?

让某人不挂断电话
  Could you hold the line? 别挂断电话,好吗?
  Could you hold on a moment? 能别挂电话稍等下吗?

对方要找的人不在
  I’m sorry, but the line is busy. 很抱歉,现在正占线。
  Mr. Jackson is out at the moment. Jackson先生现在出去了。

为某人捎口信
  Could I take a message? 能给您带个口信吗?
  Would you like to leave a message? 您要留个口信吗?

告别
  Thank you for calling. 谢谢您来电。
  Nice talking to you. 很高兴跟您谈话

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-19 08:23:52

A: Hello, thank you for calling. This is Tracy speaking. How may I help you?
  您好,感谢来电。我是Tracy,有什么可以帮您的吗?

B: Hello. I would like to speak to your director of human resources, Ms.Weasley, Please.
  您好,我想找贵公司的人力资源总监Weasley女士。

A: Just a moment. I'll check to see if she is at her desk. May I ask who is calling?
  请稍等一下。我要看一下她是不是在位子上。请问您是哪位?

B: Yes, this is Bill Burton from Milford Insurance, I'm calling in regards to our meeting next Tuesday.
  我是米尔福德保险公司的Bill Burton,我打电话来是商谈我们下周二的会议事宜。

A: Thank you, Mr. Burton. Can you please hold for a moment? I'll check to see if she is available.
  谢谢,Burton先生。请稍等一下。我去看一下她在不在。

B: No problem.
  好的。

A: I'm sorry. Ms. Weasley is away from her desk. She has already left for lunch. Would you like to leave her a message?
  不好意思,Weasley女士现在不在位子上。她去吃午饭了。您可以留个言吗?

B: Yes, please have her return my call as soon as she gets to the office. It's best if she can get in touch with me before 3 pm today; she can reach me at my office number which is 635-8799.
  好的,请她回办公室之后尽快给我回个电话。如果她下午三点前能回复我最好了。我的办公室电话是635-8799.

A: Ok, to confirm Mr. Burton, you are calling from Milford Insurance, and you are calling in regards to your meeting next Tuesday, your number is 635-8799, and you would like her to call you today before 3 pm.
  好的,确认一下您的留言信息,Burton先生,您来自米尔福德保险公司,打电话来是商谈下周二的会议事宜,您的电话号码是635-8799. 您希望她可以今天下午三点前回复电话给您。

B: That’s correct.
  是的。

A: I will make sure Ms. Weasley gets your message and returns your call.
  我一定告知Weasley女士您的留言信息并让她回您电话。

B: Thank you very much.
  非常感谢。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-23 08:37:42
  一句话英语给赞!

只用一句话称赞他人是不是很牛掰!今天咱们就来学学怎么用最简练的英语叫好!

1. Good job! 干得好!

2. Well done. 真棒!

3. Here you go. 干得好!

4. Terrific! 太棒了!

5. Topnotch! 高手!绝对一流!

6. Awesome! 好极了!

7. Good for you! 太好了,祝贺你!

8. Nice going. 干得好!

9. Super! 好极了!

10. Bravo. 真棒!
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-23 08:39:10
  幽默小故事:我考了100分
  每次考试不理想就绞尽脑汁不让爸妈知道,被问到时就各种借口,这样的情形相信长大了和木有长大的童鞋们都很熟悉吧?不知道你会不会像下面的小女孩儿一样机智地回答老爸老妈呢?

A tricky (adj. 狡猾的;机警的) girl said, "Mom, I got a one hundred in school today!
  一个狡猾的女孩说:"妈妈,我今天在学校得了一个100分!"

The mom replied (v. 回复), "Great, sweetie, tell me about it."
  妈妈回答说:"太好了,小可爱。跟我说说情况。"

The girl reluctantly (adv. 不情愿地;无奈地) said," Well, I got a twenty in math, a thirty in history and a fifty in spelling."
  这个女孩不情愿地说:"额,我数学得了20分,历史得了30分,拼写得了50分。

是不是看完心里暗笑:如果我这么说,估计会被打折腿吧?不管哭过还是痛过,儿时这样的经历现在回忆起来嘴角浮现的应该是笑容吧!
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-23 08:42:02
  精选新词:painter 油漆匠
  主播外教:Nick (上海徐汇中心)

A wealthy matron (n. 主妇;妇女) is so proud of a valuable antique (adj. 古老的;古董的) vase (n.花瓶) that she decides to have her bedroom painted the same color as the vase.
  一个有钱的妇人很自豪自己拥有一个价值连城的古董花瓶,于是决定把卧室的墙壁刷成和这个花瓶同样的颜色。

Several painters try to match the shade (n. 颜色上的差别), but none comes close enough to satisfy (v.说服;使满意) the eccentric (adj.古怪的;反常的) woman.
  好几个油漆工都想尽办法去满足她的要求,但结果都不能让这个挑剔的女人满意。

Eventually, a painter who is confident he can mix (v.配制;调和) the proper color comes up (词组,出现).
  最后,出现了一个油漆工,他自信自己能够调出合适的颜色来。

The woman is pleased with the result, and the painter becomes famous.
  这个老妇人对结果很满意,这个油漆工也因此出名。

Years later, he retires (v. 退休) and turns the business over to his son.
  几年之后,这个油漆工退休了,让儿子接管自己的生意。

“Father,″says the son,
  “爸爸”,儿子问道,

“there's something I've got to know. How did you get those walls to match (v. 相配;相称) the vase so perfectly?″
  “有件事情我得弄清楚,你当时是怎么让墙壁和花瓶的颜色百分百吻合的?”

″Son,″the father replies (v. 回复;回答) ,″I painted the vase.″
  “儿子,”爸爸答道,“我把那花瓶也给上漆了。”
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-27 08:15:38

已经步入管理层或正在朝着管理者迈进的职场精英们,下面的表达可要记住了。哪怕是给下属提意见,也是一门学问呢。学会婉转提出反馈是很有必要的哦~

1. I’m a little bit concerned about…
  我有点担心……

例句: I’m a little bit concerned about your telephone manner.
  我有点担心你接电话的态度。

2. You need to work on…
  你需要改进……

例句: You need to work on the way you deal with complaints.
  你需要改进处理投诉的方式。

3. Perhaps you should think about…
  或许你可以想一想……

例句: Perhaps you should think about how to improve efficiency.
  或许你可以想一想如何提高效率。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-27 08:24:54
  招搞定独爱咆哮的奇葩老板!
  遇上一个爱咆哮的上司,经常高声叫喊,让人厌恶压抑却又无可奈何?下面的策略或许会有用哦~

1. Say nothing. "Sitting there with a poker face (面无表情)or a quizzical (adj. 古怪的;嘲弄的) expression, in absolute silence, is sometimes a good way to communicate (v. 传达) that what someone just said -- or, in this case, how loudly (adv. 大声地) he said it -- is offensive (adj. 冒犯的;无礼的) to you, " Cohen notes (v.说明). Wait until he runs out of steam (失去势头;精疲力竭)and stops shouting before you continue the discussion.
  1. 保持沉默。 科恩表示:“一言不发地坐在那里,脸上面无表情,或者带着揶揄的表情,是一种很好的方式,可以表达出某人所说的话或者大声叫喊的方式令你感到厌恶。”等到他冷静下来,不再叫喊的时候,再继续你们的讨论。

2. Calmly explain why his yelling (yell的-ing形式,叫喊) bothers (v. 打扰;烦扰) you. If you feel you have to speak, you could say something like, "When someone yells at me like this, it's very hard for me to concentrate (v.全神贯注;聚精会神). I feel as if we're really not communicating." There's an outside chance (不大可能的机会) that pointing out (v. 指出;指明) the problem will embarrass (v. 使困窘;使局促不安) him into lowering (v. 降低;减小) his voice, but even if not, having expressed what you're thinking will make you feel less like a deer in his headlights (狭路相逢;不知所措).
  2. 平静地解释他的叫喊为什么令你烦恼。 如果你感觉自己不得不说出来,可以这样表达:“每当有人对我大声叫喊的时候,我就很难集中精力。我感觉我们并不是在沟通。”指出问题令你的上司感到尴尬,从而迫使他降低音量的可能性不大,但即便如此,表达出自己的想法,可以让你不会再像以前那样手足无措。

3. Talk very softly. An approach (n. 方法;途径) that Cohen has often seen work is to "talk in a very soft (adj. 低声的;柔和的) voice, slowly, "he says. "Make him listen to you, even to the point where he asks you to speak a little louder." This can be effective (adj. 有效的) for two reasons. First, it distracts (v. 转移;分心) the yeller from whatever is stressing him out (stress sb out 使劳累;使紧张) and shifts (v. 转移;改变) his attention to the content of the discussion, where it belongs; and, second, the glaring (adj. 耀眼的;明显的) contrast between your voice and his might cause him to talk to you more quietly.
  3. 轻声说话。 科恩发现非常有效的一种方式是,“用非常轻柔缓慢的声音说话。让他听你说,甚至在关键内容上,他会要求你提高音量。”这种方法之所以有效,有两个原因。首先,可以分散对方对压力的关注,使他将注意力转移到真正需要关注的地方,也就是你们正在讨论的内容;其次,双方声音之间的强烈对比也会让他降低音量跟你说话。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-28 16:09:05
  比“Thanks”给力的致谢表达

今天是感恩节,想想自己最想感谢谁?生活中,我们需要感谢的人、感谢的事很多,如果仅仅只会说常用的“Thanks a lot” , “Thank you very much” 是不是有点单调?今天小编就和大家分享一下更给力的致谢表达。

1. I really appreciate your help. 我真的非常感谢你的帮助。

2. You are one in a million! 你真是百里挑一的大好人!

3. I couldn’t have done it without you. 没有你的帮忙,这事儿我肯定办不了。

4. I’d like to express my sincere gratitude. 我想表达我诚挚的谢意

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-28 16:12:36

【Hi-English特别关注】感恩节,让心中充满感恩!
  我们要感谢一切,感谢微笑,感谢哭泣,感谢成功,感谢失败!感谢父母,感谢家庭,感谢老师,感谢伙伴,感谢所有爱我们和我们爱的人!值此感恩节,请不要吝啬我们的感谢,大声说出来吧!

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire. If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
  感谢你没有得到一切自己苛求的东西,如果得到了你就不会再有期待。

Be thankful when you don't know something, for it gives you the opportunity to learn.
  感谢你对一些事情的迷惑不解,因为你有了学习的机会。

Be thankful for the difficult times, because during those times you grow.
  感谢那些困难的日子,因为你学会了成长。

Be thankful for your limitations, because they give you opportunities for improvement.
  感谢自己能力有限,因为这样你才有机会提高。

Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character.
  感谢每一次新的挑战,因为它会塑造你的个性,给予你力量。

Be thankful for your mistakes, because they will teach you valuable lessons.
  感谢你所犯的每一个错误,因为你可以收获宝贵的教训。

Be thankful for your past relationships, someone better suited to you is waiting out there.
  感谢你逝去的恋情,因为更合适的人正在某个地方等着你。

It's easy to be thankful for the good things, while a life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.
  对美好的事物感恩很容易然而精彩的人生往往属于那些对挫折也心存感激的人。

Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive. Find a way to be thankful for your troubles, and they can become your blessings.
  感激之心能将消极变得积极。学会对烦恼心存感激, 它们就会变成你的福祉!

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-28 16:16:45
  Sam: Andy, when will you go back to America?
  Sam: Andy, 你什么时候回美国呀?

Andy: I made a plan to go back in November.
  Andy: 我打算十一月份回去。

Sam: Isn’t there a big holiday in November?
  Sam: 十一月不是有个重大节日吗?

Andy: Yes. Thanksgiving. It’s on the fourth Thursday in November.
  Andy: 是的,感恩节。十一月的第四个星期四。

Sam: Is that the holiday in which everyone gives gifts?
  Sam: 在这个节日里是不是每个人都会送他人礼物呀?

Andy: No, you’re thinking of Christmas. That’s December 25th. Thanksgiving is a time for families to gather together and give thanks. There are usually

no presents, but plenty of food.
  Andy: 不,你说的是圣诞节,这个节日是12月25日。感恩节是全家团聚,互相感谢彼此的日子。通常没有礼物但是会有丰盛的食物。

Sam: What kind of food do you normally eat?
  Sam: 你们一般都会吃什么呢?

Andy: It’s traditional to eat turkey. But ham is pretty common as well. Besides that, pumpkin pie is usually served for dessert.
  Andy: 传统的习惯是吃火鸡。但是火腿也很普遍。除此以外,南瓜(馅)饼常常作为餐后甜点食用。

Sam: Do you help with the cooking?
  Sam: 你会参与烹饪吗?

Andy: Haha. I don't think anyone would want me to cook a turkey. I can barely make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
  Andy: 哈哈。我想没人愿意让我来做火鸡。我只会做花生酱和果冻三明治
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-30 10:11:05
  证据在布丁里

今天跟大家分享一个美国习惯用语The proof is in the pudding。字面意思是说,这布丁好不好吃, 只有吃了以后才知道。 也就是中国人常说的, 实践是真正的检验。The proof is in the pudding这个道理可以用在日常生活的方方面面。

比如说,朋友推荐你用一款产品,你怎么知道好用不好用呢?看广告或是听推销员的介绍并不可靠。到底适不适合你,只有亲自用一下才知道。这就是:The proof is in the pudding。

看看下面两个例句大家就更清楚了:

例句1: The new machine is supposed to be the solution to all our production problems, but the proof is in the pudding.
  新机器按说能够解决我们生产上的一切问题,然而能否做到这一点还有待实践的检验。

例句2: To be honest, I didn't really like your marketing plan, but the proof is in the pudding, and our market share has grown. So I want to say that you know exactly what you're doing, and keep up the good work!
  说实话,原本我并不喜欢你们的营销计划,不过销售结果证明你们的做法很好,我们的市场份额增加了。所以我想说, 各位都很清楚自己所做的,大家就再接再励吧!

你知道吗?The proof is in the pudding这个习惯用语在14世纪就出现了,不过当时人们说的是the proof of the pudding is in the eating。后来才逐渐演变成现在的说法the proof is in the pudding。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-30 10:13:12
  小幽默《省钱妙招》
  下面是一个人在向闺蜜传授省钱经验,可别笑哦,说不定你也会这么回答呢~

Amanda: Here’s an idea to save that really works. A friend of mine had a coin jar. Whenever she bought things, she’d throw the change in and forget about it.
  阿曼达:克莱尔,我朋友有个省钱妙招,挺管用的!她有个存钱罐…每次买东西,都会把找回的零钱放进存钱罐,就这么一直放一直放…

Amanda: One day she emptied it and found she had almost $800.
  阿曼达:直到有一天,她打开一数:800块啊!

Claire: Wow, I love that idea! I even have the perfect jar!
  哇,好主意!我家就有现成的存钱罐!

Claire: Let’s go buy some stuff so I can start filling it with change!
  麻利儿的,咱赶紧逛街购物去,好找零钱存罐罐啊!

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-11-30 10:15:14

Won: So how’s your French class going?
  Won: 你的法语课上得咋样了?

Clark: Not bad, but I’m finding the pronunciation difficult.
  Clark: 还行,但我觉得读音这一块儿很困难。

Won: Well, it takes a while to get it right. You could improve your accent by listening to language CDs.
  Won: 嗯,这个确实要花些时间才能掌握。我觉得你可以听听CD来练习发音。

Clark: That’s a good idea. But how do you learn new vocabulary? I always seem to forget new words.
  Clark: 好主意。那你是怎么学习新词汇的呢?新词我一学完就忘。

Won: I learn new English words best by writing them on pieces of paper and sticking them to things in my room. I look at them every night before I go to

sleep.
  Won: 我会把一些新词写在纸片上然后贴在房间里,每天晚上睡觉之前看看记记。

Clark: Hmm. Maybe I should try something like that!
  Clark: 恩,或许我也该试试你这个方法!

作者:idealivy 时间:2013-11-30 15:31:16
  楼主加油~~~~继续!
  可以转到我空间吗?
  ——iEnglish深圳龙华,这是我去到那儿都要带着的小尾巴~~~
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-07 08:09:17
  【劲语天天学】“淡定”用英语怎么说?

“淡定,淡定啊”——这句我们常常挂在嘴边的经典台词,怎么用英语来表达呢?

Keep your hair on 表达的就是这个意思,意思是“沉住气,别着急”

Used for telling somebody who is angry or very excited about something to keep calm
  这个词用于告诉因为某件事生气或者着急的人保持沉着冷静。相当于中文里面的“稳住”,“别急”“淡定”。

看看下面的例句就知道这个词组怎么用了:

1. Keep your hair on, Mum. You can hardly see the damage.
  淡定,老妈。这东西上看不出有什么损坏。

2. Keep your hair on! We’ve got plenty of time to get to the airport.
  淡定点!我们有足够的时间赶到机场。

3. Keep your hair on, Mafoy. I wasn't saying that you should do anything dangerous.
  淡定,Mafoy。我没说要你去做危险的事。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-07 08:17:55
  【劲语天天学】“淡定”用英语怎么说?

“淡定,淡定啊”——这句我们常常挂在嘴边的经典台词,怎么用英语来表达呢?

Keep your hair on 表达的就是这个意思,意思是“沉住气,别着急”

Used for telling somebody who is angry or very excited about something to keep calm
  这个词用于告诉因为某件事生气或者着急的人保持沉着冷静。相当于中文里面的“稳住”,“别急”“淡定”。

看看下面的例句就知道这个词组怎么用了:

1. Keep your hair on, Mum. You can hardly see the damage.
  淡定,老妈。这东西上看不出有什么损坏。

2. Keep your hair on! We’ve got plenty of time to get to the airport.
  淡定点!我们有足够的时间赶到机场。

3. Keep your hair on, Mafoy. I wasn't saying that you should do anything dangerous.
  淡定,Mafoy。我没说要你去做危险的事。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-07 08:19:12

劲语天天学】 Turn Heads赢得回头率/受到关注

If something or someone turns heads, people notice them because they look interesting or attractive. 如果说某样东西或者某个人turn heads的话,那么如同中文里的“赢得回头率”,表示他们很有吸引力。需要注意turn heads和turn one’s head虽然非常相像,但是意思却大相径庭,turn one’s head表示某件事情让某人分外骄傲,看不清自我,可别弄混了哦~

例句:
  The new hybrid car turned heads at this auto show.
  新型的混合动力汽车在车展上很夺人眼球。

She still turned heads even in her 40’s.
  在她40岁的时候,仍旧魅力无限。

His success at a very early age turned his head.
  他年纪轻轻就获得成功,因而目空一切。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-10 08:44:02
  小别胜新婚/距离产生美

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder” means that the time you spend away from one you love makes you love the person even more. Further, it refers to the fact that the lack of something increases the desire for it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, 顾名思义就是“离别使内心变得更多情”,类似于中文里的“小别胜新婚/距离产生美”。

例句:
  -It’s much easier to get along with your parents when you live away from home. You miss them so much and are glad when you see them.
  -It’s true. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
  -如果住的离家远,很容易就能和父母融洽相处。你会很想念他们,见到他们的时候,你也会很高兴。
  -确实如此。距离产生美。

Cheer up, dude; everybody knows that absence makes the heart grow fonder. I bet she will miss you even more when you go abroad on business.
  开心点,朋友。大家都知道小别胜新婚的。我敢打赌你去国外出差的时候,她会更想念你的。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-10 08:57:19

Good pick up lines

HAROLD: If I received a nickel for every time I saw someone as beautiful as you, I'd have five cents.
  SAMANTHA: Oh, that’s a good one. Did you think of that one yourself?

AARON: Sorry, but you owe me a drink.
  很抱歉,你欠我一杯喝的哦~
  NATALIE: Why?
  为什么这么说?
  AARON: Because when I looked at you, I dropped mine.
  因为我看着你的时候,不小心把我自己的给洒了。

ROB: There is something wrong with my cell phone. It doesn't have your number in it.
  我手机有问题,你的号码不在里面。
  SARAH: Well, I suggest you get a new phone then.
  额,那你就换个新手机好了。

JUSTIN: I seem to have lost my phone number. Can I have yours?
  我把我的电话簿给弄丢了,能用你的吗?(双关语,要对方的电话号码)
  HELEN: Usually, I don’t give my numbers to guys in bars, but you seem like a nice guy. Here you go.
  通常我不会把电话号码告诉在酒吧里认识的人,不过你看起来人还不错。那就给你吧!

TRAVIS: Do you have the time?
  你有时间吗?(还有“现在几点钟”的含义,对话中的Mary就以为是这个意思)
  MARY: Why yes. It’s 9:15.
  有的,现在是9:15.
  TRAVIS: No, the time to write down my number.
  不是,我问的是你有没有时间记下我的电话号码。
  MARY: Get lost, creep.
  给我滚开!恶心男!

JOHN: Can I have directions?
  能给我指下路吗?
  RACHEL: Where would you like to go?
  你想去哪儿?
  JOHN: Your heart.
  你心里。
  Key Words: 关键词

Owe: 动词,欠;应给予
  Drop: 动词,掉下;滴下
  Suggest: 动词,建议
  Write down: 写下;记下
  Creep: 名词,毛骨悚然的感觉;谄媚者
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-13 08:15:43
  托运行李VS. 随身行李

出国旅游坐飞机你会怎么处理你的行李呢?大包裹可以办理随机托运,小件物品和包裹也可以带在身边。那这两种方式用英语该怎么说呢?

托运行李是checked luggage,托运这个动作的动词表达是check。
  随身行李是carry-on luggage或者是carry-on baggage。

例句:
  I’d like to check three pieces of luggage and I also have carry-on luggage.
  我想托运三件行李,也有行李需要随身携带。

Oversized carry-on bags are not permitted on our aircraft, and may cause flight delays for all passengers.
  本次航班不允许随身携带特大行李,可能会造成误点,耽误所有乘客。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-13 08:30:29
  【英语万花筒】旅行让你生活更幸福的七大理由
  游览世界、探索新天地,会大大改变一个人的生活。它使你有机会接触新文化,而且有助于你思维模式的形成。看看下面7个旅行让你的生活更幸福、更健康的理由,如果认可,赶紧行动吧!

1. Improve Your Social Skills
  提高社交能力

Meeting new people is one of the great upsides (名词,好的方面) of traveling. Whether it's chatting up your hostel roommate, making small talk with your seat-mate (名词,火车等上面的邻座) on a train or having a lively discussion at a local bar, you will be forced to improve your social skills (especially if you're traveling solo). If new situations tend to make you anxious, traveling is a sure way to take steps toward reducing that anxiety.
  结识新朋友是旅行的好处之一。与旅馆室友交谈,和火车邻座聊天,在一家当地酒吧加入热烈讨论,都能提高你的社交能力(尤其是单独出游时)。如果新局面往往导致你焦虑,毫无疑问,旅行能帮你缓解。

2. Reduce Stress
  减轻压力

Taking time off is an obvious way to recharge (动词,充电) and reduce stress levels. But while staying home and resting is a worthy use of your time off, traveling removes you from your everyday life and lets you truly escape (动词,逃脱;逃离). Traveling lets you put aside your daily responsibilities and focus on yourself for a moment. When you return home you'll feel refreshed and have the motivation you felt drained of (drain of, 词组,枯竭;耗费) before you left.
  恢复活力、降低压力的显著方法是抽出时间来放松。足不出户、养精蓄锐固然是个好办法,但旅行能将你从日常生活中解放出来,真正逃离。旅行让你撇开日常责任,暂时只专注自己。返回家中,你会精神抖擞,重新找回逝去的生活激情。

3. Accomplish Goals
  实现目标

Having a travel "to-do" list and slowly crossing things off (cross… off … 将…从...删除掉) that list keeps you motivated and positive. That list can include things like visiting certain locations or accomplishing a feat (名词,功绩;壮举) such as climbing a mountain or becoming conversational (形容词,健谈的) in the language of your next destination. Achieving those goals also increases confidence and gives a sense of success.
  列出旅行清单,做完一项划掉一项,保持你有目标有动力。清单中可以包括参观某地或完成某一壮举等,例如登上一座山或掌握下一目的地的方言。目标的实现还能增强你的信心,给你成就感。

4. Stay Fit
  保持健康

Once you catch the adventure travel bug (名词,旅游癖), you'll never be the same. Let's say while traveling you get lured into (lure into, 词组,诱惑;吸引) taking a hike with beautiful panoramic views. You go, it's not too strenuous (形容词,费力的;艰苦的) and the experience takes your breath away (形容词,让人大吃一惊). Now you want more -- harder hikes with even better pay off. While home, you exercise and prepare for more challenging hikes. You're healthier and fitter than ever and you get to look forward to accomplishing new goals.
  一旦旅行成瘾,你将不再默守成规。比如说,旅行时,沿途的美景使你不忍驻足。你一路走着,没有感觉到特别辛苦,这种体验反而美妙得让你吃惊。现在你渴望更多——通向更好风景但更高难度的远足。回到家里,你锻炼身体,为更具挑战性的徒步旅行做准备。待身体更强健,你开始企盼征服新目标。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-13 08:33:27
  5. Become More Flexible
  更强的适应性

Sometimes things don't go according to plan while traveling. Maybe your flight is cancelled (cancel, 动词,取消) or it rains the day you're scheduled to go on an epic (形容词,史诗的) outdoor adventure. It's okay -- there are other flights to take (or trains, or buses) and maybe on that rainy day you'll discover (动词,发现;发觉) a hidden bookstore to explore or an adorable (形容词,迷人的;可爱的) cafe to experience. Traveling helps you be more flexible and open-minded, making you more zen (名词,禅宗;禅意) in your everyday life.
  有时旅行时事与愿违。航班可能被取消,或者你准备好做一次史诗级的户外探险时,雨却不期而至。还好——你可以乘其它航班(火车或公交车),或许在那个下雨天,你意外发现一家值得光顾的隐蔽书店或一家惬意的咖啡馆。旅行让你豁达、随机应变,坦然面对日常生活中的挫折。

6. Become More Patient
  更有耐心

Travel can involve (动词,包含;牵涉) a lot of waiting. You'll wait in lines. You'll wait for flights. You'll wait at restaurants. Learning how to cope with (词组,处理;应付) those waits, how to make conversation with those you're waiting with and how to stay calm in frustratingly slow situations will teach you how to remain (动词,保持) patient and calm in all situations.
  旅行时,等待是家常便饭。你不得不排队等待,等待航班,等待上菜。学会处理等待,学会和同时等待的人聊天,学会在慢得让人灰心的情形中保持平和心态,这些将教会你在各种情形中保持耐性、遇事不惊。

7. Have Better Relationships
  有益于增进感情

Surveys have shown that couples who travel together report more intimate (形容词,亲密的;亲近的) relationships. Being free of (词组,摆脱…的) responsibilities like doing the dishes and walking the dog helps you relax together and focus on each other.
  调查显示,一同出游的情侣关系更融洽。不操心洗盘子、遛狗等家庭琐事,享受轻松时刻,眼里只有对方。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-13 08:38:40

Paddy: What do you know about Milan?
  帕迪:关于米兰,你知道些什么?

Jim: I know David Beckham plays for them. That’s about all really…
  吉姆: 我知道大卫·贝克汉姆给他们踢球。这就是我所了解的全部了……

Paddy: It’s one of the most beautiful cities in the world. It’s a fashion capital, and it’s also famous for producing cars and it has some of the world’s most splendid architecture.
  帕迪:它是世界上最美的城市之一。它是一个时尚之都,以出产汽车闻名,而且它还有世界上最令人称奇的建筑。

Jim: Would you live there, Paddy?
  吉姆:你想住那里吗,帕迪?

Paddy: Actually if I was going to live in Italy I would probably like to live in a small village or perhaps on an island in the middle of a lake and row my boat over to the village every morning with the warm sunshine bathing everything in sight.
  帕迪:事实上如果我去意大利的话,我愿意住在一个小村庄里,或者住在湖中心的小岛上,每天早上划船去村庄,欣赏沐浴在晨光中的所有景色。

Jim: What would you do there?
  吉姆:你会在那里做些什么?

Paddy: I would live a simple life, Jim. Learn the language and cook with all the wonderful fresh vegetables and seafood that they have in Italy. Then in the evenings I would ride my bicycle into the town and visit a pizzeria to chat with friends over a bottle of wine or two. Instead of going home, maybe I would just sleep in a field under the stars and continue my journey the next day…
  帕迪:我想过一种简单的生活,吉姆。我想学那儿的语言,然后用意大利当地的新鲜蔬菜和海鲜烹饪各种美食。晚上我会骑着我的自行车去城里,在匹萨店里边喝两杯葡萄酒边和朋友交谈。或许我直接不回家了,就睡在田野里,头顶上星光点点,第二天继续我的旅程…

Jim: It’s a nice dream, Paddy, but we are here in grey old London, overworked and underpaid and that’s not going to change anytime soon!
  吉姆:这真是一个美梦,帕迪。但是我们现在身处的却是灰暗古老的伦敦,工作劳累不说薪资还低,而且这种情况一时半会儿还改变不了!

Paddy: Thanks for reminding me…
  帕迪:多谢你提醒我…

Key Words:

splendid: wonderful, beautiful and very good辉煌的,漂亮的
  bathe: 动词,沐浴;浸泡
  pizzeria: restaurant that makes pizzas in the traditional Italian style 意大利式匹萨店
  overworked and underpaid: 活多钱少
  remind: 动词,提醒

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-14 08:07:00
  “祸不单行”英语咋说?

中国成语里有个“祸不单行”,想表达同样的意思,英语可以怎么说呢?那就是It never rains but it pours. “不雨则已,一雨倾盆”,形容坏事不来则已,一来则不止。一样的意思,有木有?

例句:

We had nothing to do for weeks, then suddenly we have all this work to do; it never rains but it pours!
  好几周没事情做,突然一下子又来这么多任务,祸不单行啊!

I missed my train this morning, lost my wallet and spilt coffee all over myself; it never rains but it pours.
  我错过早上的培训,丢了钱包,还把咖啡洒一身,真是应了“祸不单行”这个词!

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-14 08:13:28
  【英语万花筒】不吉利的星期五和13号
  The standard nineteenth-century explanation for the supposed unluckiness of the number 13 was that there were thirteen at Jesus’ Last Supper--- Judas was generally thought of as the thirteenth. This widely repeated interpretation led to the fear of the number 13 in general, and people would avoid having 13 at table or in a party. The supposed misfortune of Friday also originated from Christian beliefs, for the Crucifixion took place on that day.
  十九世纪人们对数字13不吉利这一笃定的迷信来源于耶稣最后的晚餐---传说耶稣受害前和弟子们共进了一次晚餐,出卖耶稣的犹大就是参加晚餐的第13个人。这一说法被广泛流传,进而导致人们对数字13普遍的恐惧,无论是就餐还是开派对,绝对避免13个人参加。而星期五不吉利这一说法也来源于基督教的宗教信仰,因为这一天就是耶稣的受难日。(所以,不管哪个月的十三日又恰逢星期五就叫“黑色星期五”。)

But both fears have their earlier roots than Christianity was ever created. The fear of Fridays may have been connected with the Norse goddess Freya; beginning journeys on her day was considered rude to Freya and would offend her. The number 13 has been considered ill since ancient times. Romans linked the number to death, destruction and misfortune. And people traditionally thought that the witch meeting had thirteen members.
  事实上,这两种恐惧都有比基督教教义更早的起源。对于星期五的恐惧与北欧神话中的女神Freya有关,在属于Freya的日子开始旅程是对她粗鲁无礼的表现,会惹恼她。而数字13则自古就被视为不吉利的,在罗马人看来,13就意味着死亡、毁灭和灾难。而且很多人相信女巫的邪恶会议往往有13个成员。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-14 08:17:57
  精选新词:Superstitious 迷信的
  主播外教:Andy (上海南方中心外教)

Jim: Hey Paddy, look at my new shoes.
  吉姆:嘿,帕迪,看看我的新鞋子。

Paddy: Get those shoes off the table!
  帕迪:快把鞋子拿开,别放桌子上!

Jim: Why? They are brand new (adj.全新的,崭新的)!
  吉姆:为什么?它们完全是新的!

Paddy: Don’t you know, it’s bad luck to put a new pair of shoes on a table?
  帕迪:你难道不知道吗,把鞋子放在桌子上会带来霉运。

Jim: I didn’t.
  吉姆:我不知道。

Paddy: Yeah, it’s like walking under a ladder. You just don’t do it!
  帕迪:是这样的,就像在梯子下走路一样。你就是不能这么做!

Jim: I don’t believe in all that superstitious (adj. 迷信的;由迷信引起的) rubbish. (n.垃圾,废物) Paddy.
  吉姆:帕迪,我可不相信任何关于迷信的无稽之谈。

Paddy: Well, there’s a practical reason behind every superstition.
  帕迪:每个迷信背后,都会有一个很实际的理由。

Jim: Really?
  吉姆:是吗?

Paddy: Yes. Somebody may have worn them before. Just because you have just bought them, does not mean they are clean. My mother would have killed me if I put a new pair of shoes on the table.
  帕迪:是的。这双鞋或许之前已经有人穿过了,你买了它们,并不代表它们就是全新的。如果我这样把一双新鞋放在桌子上的话,我老妈会"杀"了我的。 

Let’s go over some phrases now. 让我们一起来回顾一下有用的短语吧!

brand-new: 全新的,崭新的,未被用过的
  Every culture has taboos and superstitions.
  每种文化都会有一些禁忌和迷信。(例如:中国人不会送钟给朋友等)
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-18 14:10:56
  迟到理由大集合

睡过了头、赶不上车、道路拥堵,方向感差,公交晚点...... 哪些才是你迟到的真正理由?迟到了,你会怎么说?今天一起来学学吧!

1. I slept right through the alarm.
  我早上睡过头了。

2. I had to wait ages for a bus.
  等公交车等了好久啊。

3. I couldn't find a parking space.
  一个停车位也找不到。

4. The alarm didn't go off.
  今天闹钟没响。

5. It's not an easy place to find.
  这里不太好找。

6. I didn't catch the bus.
  我没能赶上车。

7. I forgot my cell phone at home, so I went back for it.
  忘带手机了,我又回家取了一趟。

8. The traffic was terrible.
  今天路况太差了。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-18 14:12:22
  Mike was late for school.
  麦克上学迟到了。

He said to his teacher Mr. Black,
  于是对他的老师Black先生说道:

"Excuse me for coming late, sir. I watched a football match in my dream."
  “老师请原谅我的迟到,我在梦里看了一场足球赛。”

"Why did it make you late?" inquired the teacher.
  “这跟你迟到有什么关系?”老师问道。

"Because neither team could win the game, so it lasted until overtime."
  “因为两支球队势均力敌僵持不下,所以只好进行加时赛。”

Key Words: 核心词

Football match: 名词,足球赛 Inquire: 动词,询问;查究
  Overtime: 名词,加时赛
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-18 14:21:09
  英语万花筒】赶走失眠烦恼,5个小技巧立即奏效!
  本就不足的睡眠加上冬日给人带来的起床拖延症,你又一次迟到了?不仅扣工资不说还影响心情?有什么办法可以赶走失眠的烦恼,快速入睡,获得充足的睡眠呢?试试下面的5个小技巧,会大有帮助哦~

1. Stick to (词组,坚持;遵守) a bedroom routine (名词,惯例;常规). 坚持规律作息。

Participate in the same relaxing activities before heading to (词组,朝某地走去) bed each night. Some helpful exercises include taking a hot bath or reading a book in low light (名词,低光;低亮度). And you should also keep your room cool (65 to 68 degrees F) and dark.
  每晚在睡觉前都做一个相同的放松活动。包括洗热水澡或在柔光中阅读这样有益的活动。同样还应保持卧室的凉爽(65-68华氏度)和暗度。

2. Don't use your phone as an alarm clock.
  不用手机做闹钟。

We know that we should set limits on technology usage before bedtime. You may not know that even having your phone nearby isn't helping you sleep, since you may feel inclined (形容词,倾向于……的;有……意向的) to check it if you can't fall asleep.
  我们都知道睡前要限制科技产品的使用。但或许你不知道即使手机放在近距离位置也会影响睡眠,因为当你失眠时就会不自觉地去检查。

Your bedroom should be reserved (形容词,保留的;预订的) for sleep, and nothing else. There’s no excuse — if your cell phone is your alarm clock, then buy a $5 alarm clock and solve the problem.
  你卧室的功能就是睡觉,无他用途。不要找借口-如果你是用的手机设闹钟,那么就买个5美元的闹钟来解决这个问题。”

3. Practice deep breathing.
  练习深呼吸。

According to an article on WebMD, when you practice deep breathing, your brain recognizes (动词,认识出;识别出) that you're trying to relax and sends a message to your body to do so. Those things that happen when you are stressed (形容词,紧张的;有压力的), such as increased heart rate (名词,心率), fast breathing, and high blood pressure, all decrease (动词,降低;减少) as you breathe deeply to relax.
  根据MD网站上的一篇文章写道,当你在做深呼吸的时候,大脑便意识到你在试图放松,然后就会给身体发出放松的信号。那些高压情况下会出现的情况,例如心率加快,呼吸急促,血压升高,在深呼吸放松时都会缓解。

4.Relax the muscles in your toes.
  舒展足趾肌肉。

Progressive muscle relaxation (名词,渐进式肌肉放松法) is a method that helps relieve anxiety (名词,焦虑;忧虑) and stress, which often keeps people up at night. This technique requires you to focus on tensing (动词,拉紧) and relaxing a specific muscle group.
  渐进式肌肉放松法是缓解焦虑和疲劳的有效方式,通常该方法需练习者在晚间站立。它要求你集中注意力去紧绷和放松一个特定的肌肉组织。

Curl (动词,弯曲) your toes tightly for a count of seven, and then relax. Repeat through each muscle group, working up from your toes to your neck.
  将脚趾用力弯曲7秒,然后再放松。在每个肌肉组织中反复练习,从脚趾到颈部自下而上进行。

5. Participate in a mindless (形容词,不需要动脑筋的) activity.
  做一个不费脑力的游戏。

Play a mindless game, such as counting backwards (副词,逆向地;倒着) from 100 in multiples (名词,倍数) of three. This rhythm of counting can put you in a sleepy (形容词,欲睡的;困乏的) state and is exactly the reason why people "count sheep" to fall asleep. Counting in multiples of three is more difficult than merely counting backwards and will force your brain to focus just on the counting so that your mind won't wander (动词,游荡;漫游) into other thoughts.
  玩一种不费脑力的游戏,比如在100以内,倒数出3的倍数。这种节奏计数能将你带入睡眠状态,这也正是为什么人们一“数羊”就能入睡的原因。数3的倍数比一般的倒数要难,并且这个过程会致使你的大脑完全投入到数数中,而不会游离到其它思绪里。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-21 08:11:18
  fashionista & frugalista 时尚和节约达人

If a fashionista is a slave to fashion, is a frugalista a slave to saving money?

碰到新词我们一般都会去查字典了,但是frugalista为什么找不到呢?

实际上,frugalista是2008年出现的一个新词,当年被收入了《新牛津美语词典》中。fashionista是指“疯狂追求时髦与流行的人”,和其有相同构词结构的frugalista就是表示“对各种节约方法感兴趣的达人”了。

但是需要注意的是fruglaista本身传递的并不是那种斤斤计较的吝啬小人形象,它更多强调的是“在合适的节约方法之下,还能过上时尚健康生活”的达人,可不是个贬义词哦~

例句:
  To be a fashionista, you should keep up with the trends but remember to always be you.
  要成为时尚达人,你应该紧跟时尚,但记住要做自己。

Here are several tips for frugalistas.
  这里是给节约达人的几条建议。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-21 08:18:47

【英语万花筒】自拍Selfie怎么来的?
  In 2002, an Australian man went to his friend’s 21st birthday party. He got drunk, tripped (trip, 动词,绊倒) on some steps and cut (动词,切割) his lip. He took a picture of his injuries and shared it with his friends on an online forum.
  2002年时,一位澳大利亚男子参加朋友的21岁生日聚会。聚会上他喝得酩酊大醉,不慎从台阶摔下,磕破了嘴唇。他拍了张负伤照,并上传到网络论坛上与朋友分享。

“And sorry about the focus” he wrote, “it was a selfie.”
  他写道:“抱歉没对好焦,有些模糊,因为这是张‘selfie’(自拍)。”

That was the first recorded use of the word “selfie”, according to linguistic (形容词,语言的;语言学的) experts at Oxford Dictionaries.
  来自《牛津词典》的语言专家组表示,这是“selfie(自拍)”一词最早出现的记录。

On Nov 19, Oxford Dictionaries declared “selfie” Word of the Year for 2013, in honor of (词组,表示敬意) the term having taken over the world thanks to millions of smartphone self-portraits (名词,自画像;自拍照) and the resulting (形容词,作为结果的) shares on social media.
  11月19日,《牛津词典》宣布“selfie(自拍)”成为牛津2013年度热词,以表彰这一凭借智能手机自拍以及社交媒体分享而风靡世界的词汇。

Its linguistic productivity (名词,生产力) is already evident (形容词,明显的;明白的) in the creation of numerous related spin-off (形容词,派生的) terms showcasing (动词,展示) particular parts of the body like helfie (a picture of one’s hair); a particular activity —welfie (workout selfie) and drelfie (drunken selfie), and even items of furniture —shelfie.
  Selfie(自拍)也是一个高产词汇,不断涌现出一系列衍生词,可以晒身体某一部分,如“发型自拍”;也可以晒活动,如“welfie(健身自拍)”和“drelfie(酒后自拍)”;甚至还可以晒家具,例如“shelfie(书架自拍)。

So what does the choice of the word say about our culture? Mary Elizabeth Williams, writing in Salon magazine, says the word reminds us that contemporary culture is defined by our narcissism (名词,自恋;自我陶醉).
  那么selfie(自拍)一词的当选又代表着怎样一种文化现象呢? 玛丽·伊丽莎白·威廉姆斯在《沙龙》杂志上写道:“这个词在提醒我们,当代文化被打上了自恋的烙印。”

Selfies are narcissistic (形容词,自恋的;自我陶醉的), but so what? An article in The Atlantic Wire points out that the very sort of narcissism that feeds selfies was thriving (兴盛;兴旺) well before the Internet. Think about painted self-portraits by Van Gogh and other masters. Bookstores, too, have an entire section for narcissism —the autobiography, or “literary selfie”.
  尽管“自拍”同自恋画上等号,但那又如何?刊登在《大西洋月刊》上的一篇文章就指出,其实早在互联网出现之前,孕育“自拍”的极度自恋行为就已十分普遍。想想文森特·威廉·梵高和其他大师的自画像、书店里销售的自传(也可称作是“文学自拍”),都是自恋的体现。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-21 08:22:45

Like great works of art, selfies aren’t meant to be looked at solely by the subject, writes Jonathan Freedland in The Guardian. However superficial (形容词,肤浅的) a selfie may look, its purpose is to be transmitted (动词,传播;传送) by social media. This is the selfie’s redeeming feature (名词,可取之处). They may be focused on the self, but they also express (动词,表达;体现) a timeless (形容词,永恒的) human need to connect with others.
  乔纳森·菲德兰德在英国《卫报》的文章中写道:自拍同许多伟大的艺术品一样,我们不应该只是就事论事。不管自拍看上去有多么肤浅,它最终目的都是为了通过社交媒体传播。这是自拍的一大优点。尽管拍照者可能关注的是自身,但这些照片表达了人类渴望交流的永恒诉求。

Selfies invite judgment based on appearance alone. What kind of cultural influence does this have on women? Erin Gloria Ryan on Jezebel says selfies teach young woman to obsess (动词,着迷;迷恋) over their appearance and judge themselves on the basis of beauty rather than accomplishments (名词,造诣;成就). “They’re a reflection of the warped (warp的过去分词,弯曲的;反常的) way we teach girls to see themselves as decorative (形容词,装饰性的;装潢用的),” said Ryan.
  “自拍”因其“外貌至上”的特点而饱受批评。而自拍照对于女性又产生了怎样的文化影响呢?艾琳·格洛丽亚·莱恩在社交网站Jezebel上写道,自拍照让年轻女性过于迷恋个人外貌,更爱以貌取人而非个人成就。莱恩说:“自拍照让女性认为自己是“花瓶”,这显然是一种价值观的扭曲。”

In Slate magazine, Rachel Simmons has the opposite (形容词,相反的;对立的) view. She argues that selfies are an example of young women promoting (动词,提升) themselves and taking control of (词组,掌控;控制) their own self-presentation. Think of each one, she says, as “a tiny pulse of girl pride —a shout-out to the self”.
  瑞秋·西蒙在美国《石板》杂志上则发表了不同看法。她认为自拍照是年轻女性懂得自我提升、自我展示的体现。她表示,看着一张张自拍,仿佛都是“女孩彰显自信的小火花,是种自我的呐喊”。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-21 08:32:19
  精选新词:Puppy 小狗
  主播外教:Tristan (上海南方中心)

Greg is on his way to work. He runs into his friend Sally who is taking her dog for a walk.
  Greg正在去上班的路上。他碰见他的朋友Sally,她正在遛狗呢。

---S: Hey, Greg, how's it going?
  嘿,Greg,最近咋样?

---G: Oh, Sally, hi. I'm just on my way to work. My car's in the shop today, so I'm taking the subway(n.地铁) What about you? Where are you off to?
  哦,Sally,我正要去上班。我的车停在了店里,所以我今天乘地铁。你呢?你准备去哪里?

---S: I'm just taking Cinderella for a walk. She's been cooped up(v.被关着) in my apartment for too long. She needs some exercise. Isn't that right, Cinderella? Yeeesss. You're a lazy puppy(n.小狗).
  我带着Cinderella出来散步。她在房间里闷得太久了,需要一些锻炼。是不是呀,Cinderella?你真是一只懒惰的小狗~

---G: I see, and what is that she's wearing?
  我明白了。她穿的是什么?

---S: Well, it's cold so I bought her a little sweater. Chihuahuas have kind of a thin coat, so they get cold easily. And all the salt on the road is bad for their paws, so I make sure she wears her booties. Doesn't she look cute(adj.可爱的)?
  天太冷了,所以我买了一条小小的毛线衫给她。吉娃娃只有薄薄的外衣,所以他们很容易着凉。路上的盐对他们的爪子也不好,所以我一定要让她穿上小靴子。她看上去很可爱吧?

---G: She certainly looks interesting.
  她看上去确实很好玩儿。

---S: Yeah. All this stuff is top of the line(adj.最好的). You know her outfit cost $500.
  是的。这些东西可都是最好最时髦的。知道吗,她的外套花了500美金。

---G: That's more than my suit cost.
  比我的衣服还要贵。

---S: I know. But nothing's too good for my baby. Right, Cindy? Who's the trendiest(adj.最时尚的) puppy around? I think it's you.
  我知道。但是对我亲爱的宝贝来说,再好也不为过。对吧,Cindy?谁是这儿最时尚的小狗?我想是你。

---G: Uh, listen, I've got to get going, but you and Cinderella enjoy your walk.
  哦,我得走了。你和Cinderella就好好享受你们的散步吧。

---S: Okay, I'll call you later this week. We should get together for dinner or something.
  好的。我在这周晚些时候打电话给你。我们一起吃顿饭什么的。

---G: Sounds good. See ya.
  听上去不错。再见。

---S: Say goodbye, Cinderella. Bye-bye…Alright. I'll talk to you later.
  说再见,Cinderella。再见……好吧。我之后和你联系。

---G: Bye.
  拜拜

Let’s go over some phrases now.
  Cooped – kept in a place for a long time 拘禁
  Puppy – baby dog 小狗
  Chihuahuas –a very small kind of dog 吉娃娃
  Paws – dog’s feet 狗爪
  Booties – boots 靴子
  Top of the line – fashionable and best of that range时尚且质量好的
  Outfit – set of clothes that match together全套装配
  Trendiest – fashionable / cool 新潮人物

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-23 08:25:17
  【劲语天天学】Gut feeling 直觉

平时我们总说“直觉告诉我……”、“以我的第六感来说……”,第六感也就是直觉,那英语中这个词怎么表达呢?我们来看看吧!

If you have a gut feeling, you sense something about a person or a situation in accordance with instinctive feelings without knowing why.
  gut本身有内脏的意思,gut feeling就是指内心深处的感觉。

例句:
  If you don’t know the answer, you might well go with your gut feeling.
  如果你不知道答案,那不妨跟着你的感觉走吧。

She had a gut feeling that something was wrong with the company.
  直觉告诉她,公司出了点问题。

Should I rely on my rational thinking or my gut feeling?
  我应该相信我的理性思维还是我的直觉呢?
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-23 08:35:19
  英语万花筒】本能的艺术:从8个方面跟着感觉走
  The Art of Instinct: 8 Ways to Trust Your Gut

就思想和行为而言,有一个老生常谈的问题:是思想先于行动,还是行动先于思想?实际上我们多数决定都是相当不安分的---本能引领着生理行为。像 “跟随你的心”、“相信你的直觉”这样司空见惯的陈词可以说是特别准确。无论我们坚信自己多么的笃行慎言,那种心跳加速的感觉都会凌驾于逻辑之上。那我们要怎样掌握这门本能的艺术呢?

1. Listen to your gut (名词,知觉;天性) when making decisions that have no wrong answer or no negative consequence (名词,结果).
  1.若直觉能排除不正确因素,那就听从直觉。

Feel like the report you’ve just written needs another review (名词,复审;检查)? Make it happen. Does something trivial (形容词,不重要的;琐碎的) just feel right? Don’t over-think it and just enjoy.
  感觉刚写的报告需要再次复查一下?那就复查吧。有些微不足道之处感觉不对劲?不要浪费脑细胞了,好好享受就行。

2. Think before you act when a choice could result in (词组,导致;结果是) long-term consequences.
  2. 当某个决定会起着长期作用时,三思而后行。

When choosing a home, for instance, it is easy to get wrapped up in (词组,醉心于;沉浸于) the excitement of landing new digs (名词,寓所;住所). But, sleep on it (词组,把问题留到第二天解决)! Weigh the pros and cons (词组,权衡利弊) and be sure to check out plenty of homes before choosing your future residence.
  比如说在选择住家时,沉浸于乔迁之喜是件易事。但是,要慎重!衡量好其中的利弊,在选择未来的居住点之前,一定要多观望几处房子。

3. Don’t let your head get in the way (词组,妨碍;阻碍) when it comes to compassion.
  3. 恻隐心起之时要毫不犹豫。

If you see someone in need and feel the impulse (名词,冲动) to help, do it. Compassion is a gut instinct that should never be ignored (ignore 动词,忽略;忽视).
  如果你看见有人需要帮助,想要帮助他们,去做吧。同情心是不可忽视的直觉。

4. Trust your intuition (名词,直觉;直觉力) when you feel unsafe.
  4. 感觉不安时要相信直觉。

This doesn’t mean always letting fear get in the way, but when it comes to situations in which you feel an unwavering (形容词,坚定的;不动摇的) sense of vulnerability (名词,脆弱;易受攻击), listen to your instinct. If you are walking on a dark street and feel a seemingly irrational (形容词,非理性的) sense that the person behind you is a threat, go with your intuition and cross the street.
  这并不是说让恐惧常驻于心,可一旦你陷入了某种极其不安的处境时,要听从直觉。如果你深夜走在大街上,隐约感觉身后有人图谋不轨,那就听从直觉跨向另一条街。

5. If you have a feeling that you or your child is sick.
  5. 如果你觉得自己或小孩生病了。

Don’t ignore this sentiment (名词;感觉;情绪)! Take action—book an appointment. No one knows your body like you do. Listen to it!
  不要忽视这个感觉!要采取行动-预约医生。没有人比你更了解自己。听从内心!

6. When rewards (reward 名词,奖励;奖赏) are within your capabilities.
  6. 在能力范围内犒劳自己。

Studies show that for many decisions, ranging from (range from, 词组,从……到……范围) major to inconsequential (形容词,不重要的) , people who thought less (relied less on logic) reported being happier with their choices. Don’t let your thoughts get in the way of appreciating an exciting milestone. Just treated yourself to a new bag that’s well within your budget? Good for you! Kick that buyer’s remorse (名词,懊悔) to the side.
  研究表明,在面对多数决定时,无论决定重要与否,思虑较少的人(较少依赖逻辑)能更加快乐地对待选择。在欣然迎接里程碑的时刻,不要让思虑阻挠了你的步伐。刚刚从预算中给自己买了个新包?干得漂亮!让后悔买包的心情一边去吧。

7. Stick with your head when making decisions under emotional pressures.
  7. 当情绪负有压力时,要保持理智。

If you’re having a bad day, everything can appear seemingly negative (形容词,负面的;消极的). Don’t let these physiological responses (名词,生理反应) lead you to an unsound (形容词,无根据的;不靠谱的) conclusion.
  如果你正在度过糟糕的一天,每件事情看起来似乎都很阴郁。不要让这种生理反应将你带入不当的决策中。

8. When you are self-assured (形容词,自信的).
  8. 当你自信满满时。

When feeling a sudden urge (名词,强烈的欲望) of confidence for no rational reason, trust your gut and don’t let your mind bring you down.
  当你瞬间毫无缘由地充满自信时,要相信直觉,不要让思维挫败了你的信心
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-23 08:40:36
  核心词:suck 糟糕;恶心;讨厌

Things to say when something good happens:
  好事发生时常用到的句子:
  I’m thrilled. 我好激动啊!
  That’s wonderful. 真是太精彩了!
  That’s exciting. 真是太令人兴奋了!
  I’m tickled pink. 我高兴死了!
  I’m happy beyond words. 我高兴得简直无法形容。
  I’m delighted. 我好开心。
  That’s awesome. 真了不起!
  That’s sweet. 真贴心/真周到!

Things to say when something bad happens:
  坏事发生时常用到的句子:
  That sucks/ That blows/ That bites. 糟糕透了!/差劲死了!
  That’s terrible/horrible/awful. 好可怕/好讨厌/好糟糕!
  That’s too bad. 真糟糕/不幸!
  What a shame. 真遗憾!/太可惜了!
  That’s ridiculous. 真是荒谬/可笑!
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-24 15:59:35
  怎样夸女孩子有气质?

平时我们经常听到“某某特有气质”、“谁谁很有气质美”这种评论,“气质”这种抽象词在英语中该如何表达呢?好好学学下面的句子,下次用英语这样夸气质美女时就不会语塞啦!

1. 女孩子“有气质”可以用句子: She has an aura of elegance.

例句: Linda is one of my ideal models of beauty. She has an aura of elegance and mystery.
  Linda是我心仪的美女典范,拥有气质美与神秘感。

2. 女孩子“有气质”可以用名词性短语: a girl with class.

例句: I like a girl with class, smiles, and the appreciation of adventure, health, and the good things in life.
  我喜欢有气质的女孩,面带微笑,欣赏冒险、健康及生活中美好的事物。

3. 女孩子有气质也可以用classy

例句: Personally, I really want to date with a classy girl. This is why I’m still single.
  我个人很想交有气质的女孩——这就是我还单身的原因。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-24 16:13:56

精选新词:Join 加入;参加

JAY: How about joining me for a round of golf sometime?
  TODD: I’d love to. Let’s do this Saturday.
  JAY: 要不要啥时候一起打一场高尔夫?
  TODD: 乐意奉陪。那就周六吧。

JED: Would you like to come with me to go play basketball?
  JANE: Yes, that would be great.
  JED: 想跟我一起去打篮球吗?
  JANE: 想呀,太好了!

MARY: Let’s go check out that new flick tomorrow night.
  WILLA: I’m sorry. I’m afraid I can’t make it tomorrow night. How about Sunday night?
  MARY: 明天晚上我们一起去看看那部新电影吧!
  WILLA: 抱歉,明天晚上恐怕不行。星期天晚上咋样?

LARRY: I have an extra ticket to the game if you’d like to come.
  JOHN: I’ll have to check my schedule and get back with you. I’m not sure I’m free that day.
  LARRY: 如果你想去观看这场比赛,我多出来一张票可以给你。
  JOHN: 我得先查看下我的时间安排再跟你讨论这件事。我不确定那天是不是有空。

LOUISE: I remember you said you enjoyed local music. So, if you have time next Saturday night, I’d like to invite you to a concert.
  TOM: That would be cool. I was just thinking about getting some tickets myself.
  LOUISE: 我记得你说过你喜欢本地音乐。这样,如果下周六晚上你有时间的话,我请你看演唱会。
  TOM: 太棒了!我正想给自己弄几张票。

RALF: I was wondering if you were available tonight.
  MISSY: Yes, I am. What’s up?
  RALF: How about joining me for a cup of coffee and we can catch up?
  RALF: 我正想问你今天晚上是否有空。
  MISSY: 有空啊,有什么事吗?
  RALF: 那要不咱们去喝杯咖啡,叙叙旧?

Question: If you’d like to see a new film or movie tomorrow, what can you say?
  今日问题:如果你想明天看一部新电影,可以怎么说?

Key Words: 核心表达

Flick: 名词,电影(俚语)
  Make it: 词组,获得成功;办成;做到
  Get back: 词组,回到(之前的话题)
  Wonder: 动词,想知道/了解
  Catch up: 词组,叙旧(聊天)

答案:Let’s go check out that new flick.
  我们去看看那部新电影吧!

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-24 16:27:49
  【英语万花筒】 男女交往中可以谈论的15个话题
  约会时不知道聊什么话题?看看下面的文章出的啥主意!下次可别这么囧了~

1. Your Daily Activities
  1. 你的日常活动

All of your conversations don’t have to be earth-shattering (名词,惊天动地的). Spend time talking about your day-to-day activities. Discuss what time you woke up, what you ate for lunch, or what you discussed with a co-worker and help your partner understand what happens when you’re apart (形容词,离开的;远离的).
  不需要所有的谈话都轰动世界,花点时间谈一谈你的日常活动吧。谈一下你醒来的时间,你吃午饭的时间,或者讨论一下你和你同事讨论了什么,你还可以让你的另一半知道你独处的时候发生了什么。

2. Money
  2. 财富

Talk about your budget. Discuss your saving and spending habits. If you combine your finances, set some financial goals and discuss strategies to help you reach those goals.
  谈一下你的预算。讲一下你省钱和花钱的习惯。结合你的财政状况,可以设定一些财政目标以及实现这些目标的策略。

3. Places You Want to Explore (动词,探索)
  3. 你想去的地方

Start a conversation about the places you’d like to visit. Whether you want to travel to your grandmother’s house or you want to go on a cruise (名词,巡航;乘船游览) around the world, a discussion about travel can spark (动词,引发) a lot of new conversation.
  开始一个谈论你想去的地方的话题。不管你是想去你祖母的老屋还是想去周游世界,一个关于旅游的话题总能迸发出更多话题的火花。

4. Emotional Growth
  4. 情绪管理

Share some information about your emotional growth. If you notice you’ve become wiser, less reactive, or more compassionate (形容词,慈悲的;富于同情心的), share that with your partner. Point out the emotional growth you see in your partner as well.
  分享一些关于你情绪管理的信息。如果你意识到自己变得更加睿智,少了点浮躁,多了点同情心,那么和你的另一半分享吧,同时也要指出另一半的情绪管理。

5. Individual Goals
  5. 个人目标

It’s healthy to have individual goals. Whether you want to lose weight, learn how to prepare Chinese food, or learn how to line dance, set some goals for yourself and discuss those goals with your partner.
  拥有个人目标是一件很值得提倡的事情。不管你是想要减肥,学习如何做中国菜或者学习如何排舞,给自己定一些目标,并且和另一半讨论你的这些目标。

6. Spiritual Beliefs
  6. 精神信仰

Start conversations about your spiritual beliefs. Be willing to listen to your partner’s beliefs and be open to talking about the similarities and differences (名词,异同点) in your beliefs.
  开始关于信仰的话题。要愿意去听另一半的信仰,并且可以讨论和你的信仰的相似点和不同点。

7. What You’re Watching on TV
  7. 你看的电视节目

Although watching TV isn’t an active way to grow together as a couple, discussing what you’re watching can help you learn something new about one another.
  尽管看电视并不是两个人共同成长的好方法,但是通过你看的电视节目可以了解对方更多。

8. Politics
  8. 政治

You don’t have to agree on politics in order to have a discussion about it. You can learn a lot about your partner if you have a conversation about politics. Any healthy relationship should allow each partner to feel respected (形容词,受尊敬的) enough to share an opinion, even if it opposes (反对;对抗) the other partner’s opinion.
  你不必为了讨论政治而去相信某种政治观点。如果你们讨论政治,是一个很好的了解另一半的窗口。任何一种健康的人际关系都应该允许任何一个人去表达任何一种观点,尽管那个观点和其他人的相反。
楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-24 16:29:26
  9. Goals to Address as a Couple (动词,设法解决;处理)
  9. 组建家庭的目标

Discuss the goals you want to reach together as a couple. All healthy relationships should include shared (形容词,共享的;共有的) goals for the future. Whether your goal is to volunteer at a homeless shelter together or save enough money for a new car, working together to reach your goal can help you stay close as a couple.
  讨论一下组建一个家庭需要达到的目标。所有健康的关系里面都应该包含对未来的目标。不管你的目标是在一个无家可归者的庇护所里面当一个志愿者,还是攒足够的钱去买车,一起努力去实现目标可以使你们更加亲密。

10. Your Past
  10. 你的过去

Your partner doesn’t need to know every skeleton in your closet (习语;丑闻;隐秘). However, sharing information about your past can be very helpful. Talk about your childhood, past experiences, or obstacles you’ve overcome (overcome obstacles 克服障碍). You can also share how much you’ve learned and changed over the years.
  你的另一半不需要知道你过去所有的丑事。但是,分享一些你过去的事情非常有必要。可以说一下你的童年,小时候的经历,或者你克服的阻碍困难。你也可以分享一下你在过去几年里学到和改变的东西。

11. Your Values
  11. 你的价值观

It’s important to share your values with one another. Talk about your priorities (名词,优先顺序;优先级) in life. It’s important for your partner to know how you feel about work, family, education, friends, and leisure time. Let your partner know what types of things you value the most and what changes you may want to make to ensure (动词,确保;保证) that you’re living according to your values.
  和别人分享你的价值观非常重要。谈论一下你生活中重要的事情。让你的另一半知道你对工作,家庭,教育,朋友以及闲暇时间的看法很重要。要让你的另一半知道,什么事情对你而言最重要,你想要做什么改变以确保遵循自己的价值观而活。

12. Your Dreams
  12. 你的梦想

Daydreaming together can be a great activity in any healthy relationship. Discuss dreams you had as a child, dreams you’ve let go of (动词,释放;放弃), and dreams you still hold onto (词组,紧紧抓住;抓住不放).
  健康的关系中,一起做白日梦是很好的“活动”。讨论一下儿童时期的梦想,梦里你去过的地方,还有你现在仍然怀有的梦想。

楼主confuseoldman 时间:2013-12-24 16:30:33

13. Your Feelings
  13. 你的感觉

Of course, talking about your feelings is an important part of communication. Be willing to share your joys and sorrows (名词,喜乐和忧虑) with your partner. Also, be willing to talk about what makes you feel angry, when you’re disappointed, and when you feel embarrassed or hurt.
  当然,谈你的感受是交谈中很重要的一个部分。要和你的另一半分享你的喜悦和伤心。当然,还有你生气的时候,你失望的时候,你不好意思的时候,或者受伤的时候。

14. Family
  14. 家庭

Whether you’ve got a close relationship with your family or not, talking about family can be important. It can give your partner an inside look at what type of childhood you had as well as what type of relationship you have with your family members. Discuss how you want your family to be different from your family of origin, as well as which aspects you want to replicate (动词,复制;重叠).
  不管你和你的家人关系是否亲密,谈论你的家庭非常重要。它可以向你的另一半展示你的童年,以及你和你的家庭成员之间的关系。谈谈你想让你的家庭和原来有什么不同,以及你想保留的方面。

15. Your Relationship
  15. 你的人际关系

Discuss the aspects of your relationship that are working well and make sure to also discuss problematic (形容词,有问题的;悬而未解的) areas. Talking openly about your relationship can ensure your relationship stays fresh and exciting.
  谈谈你人际关系中好的方面,对有疑问的地方进行讨论。畅谈你的人际关系可以让你们的关系保持新鲜,充满激情。
使用“←”“→”快捷翻页 上页 126 27 28 下页  到页