[翻译]Marking 60th anniversary of end of World War II/ Hidetoshi Sotooka: We mus

楼主:TBONTB 时间:2005-03-30 20:20:00 点击:273 回复:1
脱水 打赏 看楼主 设置

字体:

边距:

背景:

还原:

World Online/ Marking 60th anniversary of end of World War II/ Hidetoshi Sotooka: We must always remember the past

03/30/2005

London Mayor Ken Livingstone, known for his blunt speech, is under fire for calling a Jewish reporter ``a concentration camp guard.’’ The reporter works for an evening newspaper with which Livingstone remains at odds. The derogatory term is synonymous to ``traitor’’ used to call Jewish people who worked for the Nazi regime.

In response to protests by Jewish organizations, British Prime Minister Tony Blair urged Livingstone to apologize. But the mayor defied criticism and told a news conference that he had no intention to do so.

Livingstone gave the following explanation to justify his position: The publisher of the newspaper had a pro-Nazi editorial line during the 1930s. Also recently, it is increasingly inclined to reject Islamic immigrants. A Jew who works for such a newspaper is like ``a concentration camp guard.’’ Even though he has repeatedly used the same expression during his 24-year political career, it never became an issue, the mayor said.

Watching the news conference, I thought that the mayor was forgetting an important thing: This year marks the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II.

Leafing through a British newspaper, I found myself staring at a strange-looking picture.

It showed young people standing next to each other holding unpainted wooden crosses with the names of cities and country around the world, including Dresden, Hiroshima, Vietnam and Baghdad.

The picture was taken on Feb. 13 at a memorial to mark the 60th anniversary of the bombing of Dresden in which more than 30,000 citizens were killed.

The bombing of Dresden by the United States and Britain was an indiscriminate attack that also killed innocent citizens. The idea took an extreme form as it was applied to Hiroshima and Nagasaki and was passed on to the Vietnam War and more recently the Iraq war. The criticism directed at it is not completely incomprehensible.

But what struck me as strange is the fact that the people holding the crosses were neo-Nazis. Neo-Nazis who gathered for the occasion topped 5,000. One British newspaper described it the largest gathering ``since Hitler’s time.’’

``Why should we apologize for what happened 60 years ago?’’ More Germans are asking the question. A movement to offset their history of aggression with damage they suffered is spreading also in Germany. After 9/11, coupled with a growing fear against Islamic residents, the assertion of extreme rightists who want to regulate immigrants is quietly seeping through the solid foundation on which Europe sits. The 60th anniversary of the war’s end is a year in which victims become sensitive to such a mood whether they want to or not.

Ten years ago, I visited various places to interview Jewish people who survived the Holocaust. Postwar Germany has made an untiring effort to ``conquer the past.’’ Do you think Jews will some day come to forgive Germans, I asked them.

I cannot forget the words of a Jew I met in Jerusalem: ``No one can forgive. Only God can.’’

I thought I caught a glimpse of incurable wounds caused by the Holocaust.

I attended a lecture at the Jewish Museum in London on Jan. 27 that marked the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.

I was intrigued by a talk given by Helen Bamber, 80, and later visited her. Since she rushed to a concentration camp immediately after liberation at the age of 19, Bamber has been devoting her life to providing mental care to survivors of the Holocaust and people who underwent torture.

She said, ``I have just tried to listen and receive what they said, not to recoil, and I have tried to be the eyewitness who embrace the truth.’’ Bamber has spoken to 35,000 people who were subjected to such atrocities as rape and torture.

But forgiving is not easy. More than anything, it is painful because both the aggressors and victims have to once again squarely face the truth.

``Somebody can give forgiveness. But it is not enough,’’ Bamber said. ``How to prevent tragedy from happening again is the most important question. It is essential for both perpetrators and victims not to turn their eyes away from what has really happened. If you will deny, it will happen again in different forms.’’

At a ceremony to mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder said in a speech: ``The past cannot be overcome. It is the past. But its traces and, above all, the lessons to be learned from it extend to the present. We have a special responsibility to engrave Germany’s past in our hearts.’’

We must always remember the past while looking to the future. Although the circumstances are different between Japan and Germany, I wish to take to heart those mature words.

The author head The Asahi Shimbun’s European general bureau in London.(IHT/Asahi: March 30,2005)

打赏

0 点赞

主帖获得的天涯分:0
举报 | | 楼主 | 埋红包
楼主发言:1次 发图:0张 | 添加到话题 |
楼主TBONTB 时间:2005-03-30 20:23:31
  译文(敬请批评指正):

二战结束60周年纪念

外岡秀俊:我们必须牢记过去

03/30/2005

以生硬的演讲著称的伦敦市长肯•利文斯通,由于称一位犹太记者为“集中营看守”而受到攻击。该记者供职的这家晚报这与利文斯通争执不休。如此损人的说法如同说他是为纳粹政权服务的犹太叛国者。

英国首相布莱尔响应犹太组织的抗议,敦促利文斯通道歉。但利市长藐视批评, 并在新闻发布上说,他不是有意如此。

利市长用以下理由证明自己言之无过:上个世纪30年代,该家报纸出版者的编辑方针是支持纳粹的。并且最近,它一直倾向于抵制伊斯兰移民。为这样一家报纸工作的犹太人的确像是“集中营的看守”。即使在他24年的政治生涯中一直这么说,那也不是问题,利市长说。

在这个新闻发布会,我想利市长正在忘却一个重要的事件:今年是二战结束60周年。

在翻阅一家英国报纸,我发现自己一直注视着一个有着陌生面孔的图片。

在这张图片上,年轻人手持没有油彩的木制十字架,上面的有这个世界上的一些城市和国家的名字,包括德累斯顿、广岛、越南和巴格达。

这张图片摄于2月13日德累斯顿被轰炸60周年纪念日,在那次轰炸中有3万市民丧生。

由美国和英国发动的德累斯顿轰炸是一场不分青红皂白的进攻,杀死的是无辜的百姓。这一极端的思想在广岛和长崎也被实施,并被传递到越南战争,甚至更近的伊拉克战争。如此的批评也同样难以令人理解。

但令我难以置信的事实是,手持这些十字架的是新纳粹。临时聚集的新纳粹多达5千人。一家英国报纸说这是希特勒时代以来最大规模的一次聚集。

“我们为什么要为60年前发生的事道歉?”不少德国人都会问这样的问题。弥补他们历史上由于侵略而造成的破坏的运动同样在德国扩散。9/11之后,加上日益增长的对遭受穆斯林人攻击的担心,那些想管制移民的极右分子的主张正悄然渗进欧洲所立足的坚实的基础。受害者在二战结束60周年这一年,不管是否想这样,对这种状况都非常敏感。

十年前,为了采访在大屠杀中幸存的犹太人我去了很多地方。战后的德国千方百计努力改正过去,我就问他们:“你们认为犹太人将来会原谅德国人吗?”

我不会忘记在耶路撒冷遇到的那个犹太人的话:“除了上帝,没有人会原谅。”

我想,我看到了大屠杀所造成的那难以愈合的伤口。

1月27日纪念奥斯威辛解放60周年时,我到伦敦犹太人博物馆出席了一个演讲。

80岁的海伦。芭波的演讲引起了我的兴趣,尔后我访问了她。19岁时,一个集中营一解放,她立即去了那儿,芭波把她的一生贡献给了为哪些大屠杀的幸存者和遭受折磨得人提供精神呵护上。

她说,“我只是尽力听取他们所说的,不退缩,并且我努力成为接受事实的见证人。” 芭波已经与3万5千人交流,这些人都曾经遭受过像强暴和酷刑这样的折磨。

但是原谅不是那么简单,最为痛苦的是,不管是侵略者还是受害者,都必须一再直面事实。

“一些人可能会原谅。但这是不够的,”芭波说。“怎么才能阻止悲剧再次发生才是问题的关键。对于造孽者和受害者来说,不无视曾经真实发生的才是根本。 如果你去否认,灾难就会以不同的形式再次发生。”

在奥斯维辛解放60周年纪念的仪式上,德国总理施罗德在发言中说:“不能跨越过去,虽然已经过去,但它的痕迹,最重要的是从中吸取的教训延伸到现在。我们有把德国的过去铭刻在我们内心的特殊责任。”

展望未来时,我们必须牢记过去。尽管日本与德国之间的境况不同,但是我希望把这句话记在心里。

*作者是朝日新闻社欧洲部驻伦敦的负责人。(国际先驱论坛/朝日新闻:2005年3月30日)

译者:译文并为严格校对,仅供参考,以英文为准,水平有限,如有差错敬请批评指正并请谅解。
  另外,朝日新闻一直在开展“二战结束60周年纪念”。

原文链接:http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200503300144.html

发表回复

请遵守天涯社区公约言论规则,不得违反国家法律法规