[翻译连载]肖申克的救赎(3)

楼主:书女 时间:2002-09-23 17:22:00 点击:516 回复:5
脱水 打赏 看楼主 设置

字体:

边距:

背景:

还原:

Andy Dufresne took the stand in his own defense and told his story calmly, coolly, and dispassionately. He said he had begun to hear distressing rumors about his wife and Glenn Quentin as early as the last week in July. In late August he had become distressed enough to investigate a bit. On an evening when Linda was supposed to have gone shopping in Portland after her golf lesson, Andy had followed her and Quentin to Quentin's two-story rented house (inevitably dubbed "the love-nest" by the papers). He had parked in the turnout until Quentin drove her back to the country club where her car was parked, about three hours later.

安迪沉着冷静地进行着自辩。7月的最后一个星期,他就对他妻子和昆汀的事情有所耳闻了。随着对这件事不断的调查,到了8月底,安迪已经非常绝望了。一天晚上,林达练完高尔夫后说要去购物,安迪尾随她到了昆汀租的二层小楼(新闻报道称之为“爱巢”)。安迪把车停在停车场,三个小时后,昆汀开车送林达回俱乐部取车。

"Do you mean to tell this court that you followed your wife in your brand-new Plymouth sedan?" the DA asked him on cross examination.
  “你是说你开着你嘎嘣新的普利茅斯车跟踪你的妻子,对吗?”检察官盘问安迪说。

"I swapped cars for the evening with a friend," Andy said, and this cool admission of how well-planned his investigation had been did him no good at all in the eyes of the jury.

“为了晚上的行动我与一个朋友换了车,”安迪说,对精心策划的跟踪行动的供认不诲给陪审团留下了极不利的印象。

After returning the friend's car and picking up his own, he had gone home. Linda had been in bed, reading a book. He asked her how her trip to Portland had been. She replied that it had been fun, but she hadn't seen anything she liked well enough to buy. "That's when I knew for sure," Andy told the breathless spectators. He spoke in the same calm, remote voice in which he delivered almost all of his testimony.

再次交换回车后,安迪回了家。林达这时正在床上读书。他问她波特兰购物一行如何,她说还不错,但是没看到什么想买的东西。“这时我就确信无疑了。”安迪用他那标志性的平静遥远的声音向无动于衷的听众们叙述着这一切。

"What was your frame of mind in the seventeen days between then and the night your wife was murdered?" Andy's lawyer asked him.

“从这以后到你妻子遇害这17天里,你都在想些什么呢?”安迪的律师问安迪。

"I was in great distress," Andy said calmly, coldly. Like a man reciting a shopping list he said that he had considered suicide, and had even gone so far as to purchase a gun in Lewiston on September 8th.

“我伤痛欲绝,”安迪冷静地说,就象是一个人在背购物清单。“我还考虑过自杀,甚至在9月8日到路易斯顿买了一支枪。”

His lawyer then invited him to tell the jury what had happened after his wife left to meet Glenn Quentin on the night of the murders. Andy told them . . . and the impression he made was the worst possible. I knew him for close to thirty years, and I can tell you he was the most self-possessed man I've ever known. What was right with him he'd only give you a little at a time. What was wrong with him he kept bottled up inside. If he ever had a dark night of the soul, as some writer or other has called it, you would never know. He was the type of man who, if he had decided to commit suicide, would do it without leaving a note but not until his affairs had been put neatly in order. If he had cried on the witness stand, or if his voice had thickened and grown hesitant, even if he had started yelling at that Washington-bound District Attorney, I don't believe he would have gotten the life sentence he wound up with. Even if he had've, he would have been out on parole by 1954. But he told his story like a recording machine, seeming to say to the jury: This is it. Take it or leave it. They left it.

安迪的律师引导安迪回忆在谋杀当晚,林达离家与昆汀见面时所发生的一切,他的表现给陪审团留下了非常糟糕的印象。我认识安迪差不多30年了,他是我见的最为内敛的人。他认为好的东西会给你来上两句,而不好的却之字不提。永远也不会有人知道他是否真的经历过作家笔下所谓的“心灵的黑夜”。安迪是这样一种人:如果哪天他决定自杀,他不会留下支言片语,也不会等到一切都打理妥贴。我想,如果他在证人席上大吵大闹,或是言词闪烁,哪怕是他对这个政治野心贲张的检查官吼上两句,相信他也不至于被判终身监禁,1954年也许就可以申请到假释。但他就仿佛是一部打开着的录音机,仿佛在告诉整个陪审团,事实就是如此,信不信由你。结果,他们没有相信他。

He said he was drunk that night, that he'd been more or less drunk since August 24th, and that he was a man who didn't handle his liquor very well. Of course that by itself would have been hard for any jury to swallow. They just couldn't see this coldly self-possessed young man in the neat double-breasted three-piece woolen suit ever getting falling-down drunk over his wife's sleazy little affair with some small-town golf pro. I believed it because I had a chance to watch Andy that those six men and six women didn't have.

安迪说事发当晚他喝得酩酊大醉,事实上从8月24号以来,他总是喝得晕晕乎乎的,他是个不怎么会喝酒的人。这一切当然不能使陪审团的人信服。没有人会相信这个身着双排扣三件套毛料衣冠楚楚的冷静镇定的年轻人会为老婆与一个小镇高尔夫教练的偷情而终日烂醉如泥。我却相信,因为我有机会走近安迪,而陪审团的6男6女却没有这个机会。

Andy Dufresne took just four drinks a year all the time I knew him. He would meet me in the exercise yard every year about a week before his birthday and then again about two weeks before Christmas. On each occasion he would arrange for a bottle of Jack Daniel's. He bought it the way most cons arrange to buy their stuff-the slave's wages they pay in here, plus a little of his own. Up until 1965 what you got for your time was a dime an hour. In '65 they raised it all the way up to a quarter. My commission on liquor was and is ten per cent, and when you add on that surcharge to the price of a fine sippin' whiskey like the Black Jack, you get an idea of how many hours of Andy Dufresne's sweat in the prison laundry was going to buy his four drinks a year.

从我们相识以来,安迪一年里只喝四次酒,他总是会在他生日的前一周约我在运动场见面,当然还有在圣诞节的前两周。每次安迪都会准备好一瓶杰克·丹尼威士忌,这是用他在监狱里劳动的薪水买来的,肖申克里许多囚犯都用这种方式换取所需。1965年的薪金水平是1角/小时,后来增加到两毛五分。我从酒上抽取10%的拥金。在黑方这类上好威士忌的价格上再加10%,你可以想象安迪一年到头要在洗衣房做牛做马多少小时才可以买到这些酒。

On the morning of his birthday, September 20th, he would have himself a big knock, and then he'd have another that night after lights-out. The following day he'd give the rest of the bottle back to me, and I would share it around. As for the other bottle, he dealt himself one drink Christmas night and another on New Year's Eve. Then that bottle would also come to me with instructions to pass it on. Four drinks a year-and that is the behavior of a man who has been bitten hard by the bottle. Hard enough to draw blood.

9月20日是安迪的生日,一大早他就把自己灌得不省人事,熄灯后再灌一通。第二天他就把剩下的酒给我分享一番。圣诞夜和新年夜,他也会各喝上一杯,当然剩下的也会传给我。一年喝四次酒,这就是一个因喝酒而吃了头苦的男人所能做的。往事不堪回首。

He told the jury that on the night of the tenth he had been so drunk he could only remember what had happened in little isolated snatches. He had gotten drunk that afternoon-"I took on a double helping of Dutch courage" is how he put it-before taking on Linda.

安迪告诉陪审团,在10号那天晚上,他喝得醉醺醺的,对发生的一切只零星地有所记忆。他下午喝醉了,“我借着酒后之勇”,这是安迪的原话,开始和林达争吵。

After she left to meet Quentin, he remembered deciding to confront them. On the way to Quentin's bungalow, he swung into the country club for a couple of quick ones. He could not, he said, remember telling the bartender he could "read about the rest of it in the papers," or saying anything to him at all. He remembered buying beer in the Handy-Pik, but not the dishtowels. "Why would I want dishtowels?" he asked, and one of the papers reported that three of the lady jurors shuddered.

当林达离开找昆汀后,安迪记得自己决定去堵他们这对奸夫淫妇。在去昆汀住处的路上,他拐进了乡村俱乐部简单喝了两杯。但他不记得与招待说过“可以在报纸上知道以后会发生的事。”,或者他什么也没有对招待说。他记得在便利店买了啤酒,但根本没买什么干布。“我为什么要买干布呢?”安迪问。有一家报纸报道说陪审团中的三个女性听到这话不停地颤抖。

Later, much later, he speculated to me about the clerk who had testified on the subject of those dishtowels, and I think it's worth jotting down what he said. "Suppose that, during their canvass for witnesses," Andy said one day in the exercise yard, "they stumble on this fellow who sold me the beer that night. By then three days have gone by. The facts of the case have been broadsided in all the papers. Maybe they ganged up on the guy, five or six cops, plus the dick from the Attorney General's office, plus the DA's assistant. Memory is a pretty subjective thing, Red. They could have started out with 'Isn't it possible that he purchased four or five dishtowels?' and worked their way up from there. If enough people want you to remember something, that can be a pretty powerful persuader."

后来,过了很长一段时间,安迪就店员作证他买过干布一事给我进行了分析,他说的话很有用,我作了笔记。“如果在他们盘问证人收集证据期间,”一天安迪在运动场对我说,“他们设法迷惑住那晚卖给我啤酒的人,买啤酒是三天前的事情,而报纸将这个案子无限片面地进行了夸大。没准他们围攻这个人也说不定,5、6个警察,再加上检察官办公室的侦探,还有检察官的助手。记忆是个主观的东西。他们可以这样开始‘难道他就没有买上四五块干布什么的吗?’,然后再沿着这个路子盘问下去。如果足够多的人认为你应该记得什么事,这种影响是非同小可的。”

I agreed that it could.
  我觉得这很有可能。

to be continued

打赏

0 点赞

主帖获得的天涯分:0
举报 | | 楼主 | 埋红包
楼主发言:2次 发图:0张 | 添加到话题 |
作者:woxiaowoxing 时间:2002-09-23 21:10:02
  好东西!
作者:anksu 时间:2002-09-23 23:40:08
  怎么(1)完了就是(3)啊?(2)呢?我没看见啊……~~
作者:anksu 时间:2002-09-23 23:42:07
  找着了、找着了……~~真是失理啊……抱歉:)~~
作者:crossfire 时间:2002-09-25 19:55:36
  If enough people want you to remember something, that can be a pretty powerful persuader.

这话说得好.
作者:stella_only 时间:2008-09-06 21:57:31
  谢谢书女,正在看该书英文版,学习中

相关推荐

换一换

本版热帖

发表回复

请遵守天涯社区公约言论规则,不得违反国家法律法规