[翻译连载]肖申克的救赎(7)

楼主:书女 时间:2002-10-22 20:00:00 点击:512 回复:5
脱水 打赏 看楼主 设置

字体:

边距:

背景:

还原:

How many times did that particular crew have at him? I don't know. I think Rooster lost his taste fairly early on-being in nose splints for a month can do
  that to a fellow-and Bogs Diamond left off that summer, all at once. That was a strange thing. Bogs was found in his cell, badly beaten, one morning in early June, when he didn't show up in the breakfast nose-count. He wouldn't say who had done it, or how they had gotten to him, but being in my business, I know that a screw can be bribed to do almost anything except get a gun for an inmate. They didn't make big salaries then, and they don't now. And in those days there was no electronic locking system, no closed-circuit TV, no master-switches hitch controlled whole areas of the prison. Back in 1948, each cellblock had its own turnkey. A guard could have been bribed real easy to let someone-maybe two or three someones-into the block, and, yes, even into Diamond's cell.
  这帮家伙究竟蹂躏了安迪多少回不得而知。罗斯特在鼻子上架着夹板后的一个月最早对安迪失去了兴趣。鲍佳斯在那个夏季里也突然停止了一切。那是六月的一个早晨,鲍佳斯没有到食堂点到,人们在他的囚室里找到了被打得遍体鳞伤的鲍佳斯。关于到底是谁、怎么干的,他只字未提,但据我了解的,监狱里的工作人员除了不为犯人提供枪支,他们可以被贿做任何事。从前他们的薪水很低,当然,现在的也不高。那个年月,监狱里还没有电锁、闭路监视电视、控制整个监狱的总开关这些高科技设备。倒退到1948年,每个囚室都有一个狱警,要贿赂他们让一个甚至更多的人进入囚室是件轻而易举的事,对于鲍佳斯也不例外。

Of course a job like that would have cost a lot of money. Not by outside standards, no. Prison economics are on a smaller scale. When you've been in here awhile, a dollar bill in your hand looks like a twenty did outside. My guess is that, if Bogs was done, it cost someone a serious piece of change-fifteen bucks, we'll say, for the turnkey, and two or three apiece for each of the lump-up guys.
  当然,你要出血本才有人肯为你做这种差事。钱在这里的衡量标准与外面的不同。监狱经济是小规模经济,在这里的一块钱相当于外面的20块。如果要搞定鲍佳斯,差不多需要15美元,分别用来买通狱警和找三两个大个家伙。

I'm not saying it was Andy Dufresne, but I do know that he brought in five hundred dollars when he came, and he was a banker in the straight world-a man
  who understands better than the rest of us the ways in which money can become
  power.

我并没有说这是安迪干的,但他进来时确实带了500美元。别忘了他可是个银行家,比我们这里的任何人都知道钱的力量。

And I know this: after the beating-the three broken ribs, the hemorrhaged eye,
  the sprained back, and the dislocated hip-Bogs Diamond left Andy alone. In fact,
  after that he left everyone pretty much alone. He got to be like a high wind in
  the summertime, all bluster and no bite. You could say, in fact, that he turned
  into a "weak sister."

鲍佳斯在被暴打得双眼淤血、臀部脱臼,背部严重扭伤,折断了三根肋骨后,终于把安宁归还给了安迪。事实上,当鲍佳斯离开后,整个监狱都开始归于平静。他象是夏日里刮过的一阵狂风,急促却短暂,再也没有了任何杀伤的力量。鲍佳斯变成了一个娇滴滴的小娘们。

That was the end of Bogs Diamond, a man who might eventually have killed Andy if Andy hadn't taken steps to prevent it (if it was him who took the steps). But it wasn't the end of Andy's trouble with the sisters. There was a little hiatus, and then it began again, although not so hard or so often. Jackals like easy prey, and there were easier pickings around than Andy Dufresne.

这就是鲍佳斯时代的终结。如果安迪不采取行动铲除异已的话,那么今天被铲除的就会是安迪自己。但这却并不是姐妹帮的终结,也不是麻烦的终结。经过一段小小的间歇后,姐妹帮对安迪的骚扰又开始了,虽然不再象从前那么激烈那么频繁。豺狼们永远也不会放过身边唾手可得的猎物,在安迪身边还有着更为弱小无助的一群。

He always fought them, that's what I remember. He knew, I guess, that if you let them have at you even once without fighting, it got that much easier to let them have their way without fighting next time. So Andy would turn up with bruises on his face every once in awhile, and there was the matter of the two broken fingers six or eight months after Diamond's beating. Oh yes-and sometime in late 1949, the man landed in the infirmary with a broken cheekbone that was probably the result of someone swinging a nice chunk of pipe with the business-end wrapped in flannel. He always fought back, and as a result, he did his time in solitary. But I don't think solitary was the hardship for Andy that it was for some men. He got along with himself.

安迪自始至终地抵抗着,奋力地。因为他知道,如果有那么一次,你让他们不费吹灰之力地得手了,那么下次你就会死得更痛苦更难看。所以,每隔一段日子,你就会在安迪的脸上看到青一块紫一块的淤伤。在鲍佳斯被打的6、7个月后,有人的两根手指被打断了。噢,还有,在1949年底,有人被一块包着法兰绒的粗管子打断了颊骨而住进了医院。是的,安迪不停地反抗着,每时每刻地。因此,他总是被关禁闭。但我想安迪并不象有些人一样惧怕黑暗与孤独,他习惯了独处。

The sisters was something he adjusted himself to-and then, in 1950, it stopped
  almost completely. That is a part of my story that I'll get to in due time.

安迪在与姐妹帮的抗争中慢慢适应了这种生活,到1950年,骚扰停止了,彻彻底底地宣告了结束。这是故事的另一部分,我会在适当的时候进行讲述。

In the fall of 1948, Andy met me one morning in the exercise yard and asked me
  if I could get him half a dozen rock-blankets.
  1948年秋的一个早晨,我与安迪相遇在运动场,他问我能否为他搞到一打“石头毯”。

"What the hell are those?" I asked.
  “那他妈是些什么玩意?”我问到。

He told me that was just what rockhounds called them; they were polishing cloths about the size of dishtowels. They were heavily padded, with a smooth side and a rough side-the smooth side like fine-grained sandpaper, the rough side almost as abrasive as industrial steel wool (Andy also kept a box of that in his cell, although he didn't get it from me-I imagine he kited it from the prison laundry).

他告诉我这是他们石头迷的行话,是一些擦碗布大小用来打磨石头的布,很厚,柔软的一面象是的细纹沙纸,粗糙的一面象是工业用的铁线(在安迪囚室里有一盒子这玩意,我想这是他从监狱的洗衣房时搞到的)。

I told him I thought we could do business on those, and I ended up getting them from the very same rock-and-gem shop where I'd arranged to get the rock-hammer. This time I charged Andy my usual ten per cent and not a penny more. I didn't see anything lethal or even dangerous in a dozen 7" x 7" squares of padded cloth. Rock-blankets, indeed.

我答应了安迪,并最终在上次为他搞到岩石锤的店搞到了它们。这回,我只加收了10%的服务费,一个子儿也没多加。因为我实在看不出这些7*7的厚布有什么危险到可以取人性命的地方。

It was about five months later that Andy asked if I could get him Rita Hayworth.
  That conversation took place in the auditorium, during a movie-show. Nowadays we get the movie-shows once or twice a week, but back then the shows were a monthly event. Usually the movies we got had a morally uplifting message to them, and this one, The Lost Weekend, was no different. The moral was that it's dangerous to drink. It was a moral we could take some comfort in.

又过了大约5个月,安迪问我能否搞到瑞塔.海华斯的海报。这次的谈话是在礼堂的观众席上进行的。那些日子,一周会放一两次电影,看电影在监狱里可算得上是大事。通常我们只能看一些能洗涤心灵的片子。但这部《失去的周末》给人的启迪不同,它告诉人们酒能令你引火烧身,确实是一部能给我们带来些许安慰的电影。

Andy maneuvered to get next to me, and about halfway through the show he leaned a little closer and asked if I could get him Rita Hayworth. I'll tell you the
  truth, it kind of tickled me. He was usually cool, calm, and collected, but that night he was jumpy as hell, almost embarrassed, as if he was asking me to get him a load of Trojans or one of those sheepskin-lined gadgets that are supposed to "enhance your solitary pleasure," as the magazines put it. He seemed overcharged, a man on the verge of blowing his radiator.

安迪挪到我旁边,电影放到一半时,他凑到我耳边问能不能为他搞到瑞塔.海华丝。哈哈,这次真把我给乐坏了。那晚他一改往日的镇定自如,变得有点神经兮兮局促不安,好象他正恳求我为他搞到一堆战神避孕套或什么广告中宣传的“可以令你的孤独时光变快乐”的皮子小东西。安迪看起来象是一个急不可耐马上就要射了的男人。

"I can get her," I said. "No sweat, calm down. You want the big one or the
  little one?" At that time Rita was my best girl (a few years before it had been Betty Grable) and she came in two sizes. For a buck you could get the little Rita. For two-fifty you could have the big Rita, four feet high and all woman.

“我可以搞到她,”我说,“没问题,别急嘛。要大的还是小的?。瑞塔.海华丝一度是我的最爱(更早些日子我喜欢贝蒂·格兰宝),她的海报我可以搞到两种尺寸的。一元你可以得到小号瑞塔,而25元就可以得到大号的,四英尺高全身像。

"The big one," he said, not looking at me. I tell you, he was a hot sketch that
  night. **He was blushing just like a kid trying to get into a kootch show with his big brother's draft-card. "Can you do it?"**

“大号的,”他没有看我,说到。我告诉你说,那晚的安迪情欲贲张,面颊通红,看上去有点象一个举着哥哥的入伍通知去看热辣表演的毛头小子。“你能搞到吗?”

"Take it easy, sure I can. Does a bear shit in the woods?" The audience was applauding and catcalling as the bugs came out of the walls to get Ray Milland, who was having a bad case of the DT's
  “放轻松,我当然可以弄到了,这还用问吗?!”观众席上的犯人们对着屏幕上的雷蒙德呼号乱叫着。

"How soon?"
  “要多久?”
  "A week. Maybe less." “一周。或更快些。”

"Okay. " But he sounded disappointed, as if he had been hoping had one stuffed down my pants right then. "How much?"

“好。”他的声音听起来有些失望,好象是希望有什么人可以立马就把海报塞到我裤子里似的。“多少钱?”

I quoted him the wholesale price. I could afford to give him this one at cost; he'd been a good customer, what with his rock-hammer and his rock-blankets. Furthermore, he'd been a good boy-o more than one night when he was having his problems with Bogs Rooster, and the rest, I wondered how long it would be before he used the rock-hammer to crack someone's head open.

我给他了个批发价。这次只收回成本不会让我损失什么,从石锤到这次的石毯,可以看出安迪是个很不错的客户,更为重要的是,从他与鲍佳斯和姐妹帮其他人的纠葛来看,安迪是个好人,我不相信他会用那把石锤敲开什么人的脑壳。

Posters are a big part of my business, just behind the booze and, cigarettes,
  usually half a step ahead of the reefer. In the sixties the business exploded in every direction, with a lot of people wanting funky hang-ups like Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, that Easy Rider poster. But mostly it's girls; one pin-up queen after another.

除了烟、酒,海报也是我生意的一个重要组成,成交量甚至超过了大麻。六十年代,海报的需求种类杂芜繁多,很多人喜欢朋克歌星的挂画,象杰米·亨德利克斯、鲍伯-迪伦,还有电影《遥远的骑士》的海报。但还是姑娘最受欢迎,一张接一张性感尤物的海报总是供不应求。

A few days after Andy spoke to me, a laundry driver I did business with back
  then brought in better than sixty posters, most of them Rita Hayworths. You may
  even remember the picture; sure do. Rita is dressed-sort of-in a bathing suit,
  one hand behind her head, her eyes half-closed, those full, sulky red lips
  parted. They called it Rita Hayworth, but they might as well have called it
  Woman in Heat.

几天后一个和我有生意来往的洗衣房的司机带来了60多幅海报,大多数都是瑞塔.海华丝的。你也许对这张海报还有印象,穿着游泳衣的她一只手放在头上,眼睛半开半合,两片丰满红润的嘴唇微微张开。他们叫她瑞塔.海华丝,真是一个让人热血沸腾的辣妞啊。

The prison administration knows about the black market, in case you were
  wondering. Sure they do. They probably know almost much about my business as I
  do myself. They live with it because they know that a prison is like a big
  pressure-cooker, and there has to be vents somewhere to let off steam. They make the occasion; bust, and I've done time in solitary a time or three over the year but when it's something like posters, they wink. Live and let live。 And when a big Rita Hayworth went up in some fishie's cell, the assumption was that it came in the mail from a friend or a relative. Of course all the care-packages from friends and relatives are opened and the contents inventoried, but who goes back and rechecks the inventory sheets for something as harmless as a Rita Hayworth or Ava Gardner pin-up? When you're in a pressurecooker you learn to live and let live or somebody will carve you a brand-new mouth just above the Adam's apple. You learn to make allowances.

难道管理层一点都没有察觉到监狱里天天都在进行着黑市交易吗?他们当然知道,知道得一清二楚。他们之所以睁一只眼闭一只眼,那是因为他们知道监狱就象一口压力十足的大锅,时不时的就得放点气出来缓和缓和。有些人通过创造一些时机,一些场合,用肉乎乎的乳房来排解,我呢,我一年里从外面搞些东西进来,给犯人打发时间。如果只是一些艳情的海报,他们是会网开一面的。自己活着也要让别人生活。当一张巨幅瑞塔.海华丝的海报出现在某个犯人的囚室里时,第一反应会是来自于朋友或家人的邮包里的礼物。是的,所有给犯人的包裹都要被拆开并登记在册,但谁又有这个闲情雅致为了一张瑞塔海华丝或是艾娃·加德纳的海报而再重新核对目录呢?当你身处在这个高度紧张的环境里时,你要慢慢学会如何生存并且让别人也可以生存下来,要不然的话,会有人在你的喉节上再为你开个新口子的。在这里,你学会了理解与忍让,处处要给自己留有余地。
  It was Ernie again who took the poster up to Andy's cell, 14, from my own, 6.
  And it was Ernie who brought back the note, written in Andy's careful hand, just one word: "Thanks."

这次又是老Ernie把海报从我的6号囚室带到了安迪的14号囚室。Ernie还带回来了一个字条,上面工工整整地写着“谢谢。”

A little while later, as they filed us out for morning chow, I glanced into his
  cell and saw Rita over his bunk in all her swimsuited glory, one hand behind her head, her eyes half-closed, those soft, satiny lips parted. It was over his bunk where he could look at her nights, after lights-out, in the glow of the arc sodiums in the exercise yard.

又过了一段日子,一天,我们排队准备吃早饭时,我向安迪的囚室里瞟了一眼,看见了身着泳衣光芒四射的瑞塔.海华丝。她一只手放在头上,眼睛半开半合,两片柔软光滑的嘴唇微微张开。安迪把她挂在了床的上面。黑夜降临时,熄灯后,借着院子里的光亮,就能整晚地望着她,守着她。

But in the bright morning sunlight, there were dark slashes across her face-the
  shadow of the bars on his single slit window.

但当清晨太阳升起时,透过铁窗映进来光将黑色的栅栏影印在她的脸上,象是一道道被鞭挞后留下的伤疤。

(to be continued )

打赏

0 点赞

主帖获得的天涯分:0
举报 | | 楼主 | 埋红包
楼主发言:4次 发图:0张 | 添加到话题 |
作者:雨横山2 时间:2002-10-24 01:42:54
  Looks like you are going to do the whole book !
  I have not have time to look through the whole thing
  in details, mainly because I have a psychological
  aversion to reading emotionally charge stories.
   I only watch movies like those on tapes which I can
  fast forward--- to avoid the emotional impact.
楼主书女 时间:2002-10-24 13:42:48
  It is ok. You know I have been making notes during the translation.Looooots of slangs,questions.Just can't understand the meaning,I mean how to translate in the sentences even I did find them in the dictionary.

I am going to paste them after the whole work done.By then, maybe you would help me to explain them.

:)

作者:天涯新用户 时间:2003-07-19 15:49:44
  i just watched the movie several days ago,so sorry for my following up this "old articles" against the tianyaclub‘s rules.
作者:语言学 时间:2003-07-20 23:12:26
  i support you. hope to see a whole version
楼主书女 时间:2003-07-21 09:28:58
  天,我几乎都把它给忘了。^@^
发表回复

请遵守天涯社区公约言论规则,不得违反国家法律法规